The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by College_Dropout
Thank God all you wish.
If being apart of the EU is like a dictatorship, what exactly is being religious? Islam in particular.

There's always that one person who needs to bring religion ('islam in particular') into everything. :facepalm:
they have been in the UK longer than we have and because we are a democratic state, they have that right to vote and the majority wanted out.
Although I personally don't agree with that, there isn't much we can do now can we?
What an unbelievably stupid thing to say.
The youngsters of England need to understand something - older folk know life a lot better than you. Yes, they do. They have lived longer, for a start. They have experienced things you know nothing about. In every single culture of the planet young people are told to respect their parents and their elders. ''Honour your mother and father'' says the bible. You are free to have your individualism as a youngster. Enjoy it. But don't pretend you have wisdom or experience. Be a child while you are a child. Go to Glastonbury if you must - get cheap phone calls on mobiles - do what you wish to do. But you will learn that beyond politics is grown up responsibility. THAT is why elder and more experienced people voted....... FOR YOU !

Older, wiser people voted to keep the country which the law of this country says is ours. For which generations gave their lives. In wars you know nothing about. Is it not true that when a crisis hits it's back to the older folk to sort it out ? And you want to be a Euro citizen ?

Better still, talk to people of your own age group who know better. Calm down. You might learn. Some things are more important than you think. Older folk know that beyond the tantrums of individualism is the law of giving. And THAT is what older folk know and have learned.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by moggis
Dont worry the EU probably won't survive 69 years in its present form.

Original post by Ladymusiclover
A young person's vote is just as equal to older person. Yes it was older people who mainly voted to leave the EU. But 50-64 year olds also mainly wanted to leave too. We live in a democracy. Crying and moaning won't do much. Come on now let's try and make this work now.

1) Democracy is not synonymous to "getting it right". The disposition to let it go because the majority says says is just silly

2) if the majority of uk are such muggers, a democracy is going to be a self-destructive mechanism.

Original post by moggis
Dont worry the EU probably won't survive 69 years in its present form.

if eu doesn't survive we can see a trend of warlords-esque countries trying to maximise and force their interests on the lesser developed nations. EU will work as long as economically challenged people (like 65 year old pensioners) are allowed to vote after passing a test. 😾
Original post by TaintedLight
Their inability to understand economics has just made my life more difficult ?

It's their human right
It's funny that young people are putting themselves on such high pedestals when they haven't even experienced a third of their expected lifespan. No grasp on reality, no experience nor any sense of intelligence; young people in Britain are too concerned about checking your goddamn cis-gendered straight white male privilege. This Britain that you enjoy was built and carried by the same people you look down upon.
On another note, stop whining and rolling around about because you think Britain is too pathetic to ever survive; and look to the future, whatever it may be, and move forward.
It's not students who are the problem here - it's those who wrongly influence them to agitate and tear families apart in the name of education, who recruit them to act against the best interests of their family, their own parents, and the legacy of this country.

Did you know that in England a man is presumed to be innocent till proved guilty ? In the courts of Euroland you are presumed guilty from the start. It's the 'inquisitorial' system of Napoleon. Again, in England we have the law of succession - the right of inheritance to the next generation by a testamentary will. In Euroland the state gradually becomes the heir, the ultimate sugar daddy, the 'owner' of all property. In fact, here in England we have the greatest law system this world has ever known. Ever seen the Bill of Rights (1689) - that's the constitutional statute of this country and it's still in force today. How about the Common Law. And Equity. How about these for a fact ? The coming generation will learn to thank their ancestors for that. And they will be glad at the outcome of this recent Referendum.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lostrider
There's always that one person who needs to bring religion ('islam in particular') into everything. :facepalm:

Theres always that person that needs to mention 'God'
Reply 49
Original post by Robnewman
The youngsters of England need to understand something - older folk know life a lot better than you. Yes, they do. They have lived longer, for a start. They have experienced things you know nothing about. In every single culture of the planet young people are told to respect their parents and their elders. ''Honour your mother and father'' says the bible. You are free to have your individualism as a youngster. Enjoy it. But don't pretend you have wisdom or experience. Be a child while you are a child. Go to Glastonbury if you must - get cheap phone calls on mobiles - do what you wish to do. But you will learn that beyond politics is grown up responsibility. THAT is why elder and more experienced people voted....... FOR YOU !

Older, wiser people voted to keep the country which the law of this country says is ours. For which generations gave their lives. In wars you know nothing about. Is it not true that when a crisis hits it's back to the older folk to sort it out ? And you want to be a Euro citizen ?

Better still, talk to people of your own age group who know better. Calm down. You might learn. Some things are more important than you think. Older folk know that beyond the tantrums of individualism is the law of giving. And THAT is what older folk know and have learned.

This is so unbelievably patronising I don't know what to say.

I could try to argue that a university student probably actually is more knowledgable than your average 73 year old. I could try and point out that this kind of condescension from politicians and experts was a large part of what fueled the Leave campaign, but you don't notice hypcocrisy when its your own.

Maybe I could just state that yes, I want to be an EU citizen and that no, I don't what you to "vote for what you think will help me". If you're retired, this doesn't affect you very much at all, and if you're old it won't for much longer anyway. So maybe you shouldn't vote if something doesn't affect you, and let those who it does impact choose for themselves.

"Tantrums of individualism" - well said.
Reply 50
Reply 51
Original post by Eigo-Jin
It's funny that young people are putting themselves on such high pedestals when they haven't even experienced a third of their expected lifespan. No grasp on reality, no experience nor any sense of intelligence; young people in Britain are too concerned about checking your goddamn cis-gendered straight white male privilege. This Britain that you enjoy was built and carried by the same people you look down upon.
On another note, stop whining and rolling around about because you think Britain is too pathetic to ever survive; and look to the future, whatever it may be, and move forward.

The reason we're pissed off is that we're the future, and yet you don't seem to think we should have any say in it.

Honestly, if you're a retired 70 yeal old, why would you even vote on this? How does this affect you? Because the only possible impact I can see is the £80bn lost in pension funds so far.
Why are young people (<30) even allowed to vote
Original post by TaintedLight
1) Democracy is not synonymous to "getting it right". The disposition to let it go because the majority says says is just silly

2) if the majority of uk are such muggers, a democracy is going to be a self-destructive mechanism.

Well it's tough luck. What is done is done. There's no point moaning about it.
The old are best placed to vote, as they can remember a time when we wasnt in the EU.
The young can't.

My petition:u:nlimited repeat referendums on leaving the EU, until finally we vote to remain.Lets keep holding referendums until finally we vote to remain in the EU then stop.Click this link to sign the petition:
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/140279/sponsors/Ajr5tBqLEYytTi9kP0pC
To level it out they should allowed 16 year olds to vote to level it out. It's our future and if it ****s up (which is looking likely) we'll have to live the longest with a decision our demographic didn't even want.
Go complain about your mates!
13483231_507286212814051_2298538235013528305_o.png
Original post by Lrrgolas
But you see, voting isn't like a nice little reward you get for being a good little citizen. The vote, for referendums and general elections is a precious commodity, which is used to create fundamental changes for the future of entire sovereign states. These vote outcomes, as you can see here and can learn from the past, have global impacts. Therefore it would be deemed wise to hand this responsibility to those who will be living and outliving these consequences for the longest period of time thereafter.

That's not wise at all, it is arrogant and ignorant.
These are your mothers and fathers who have life experience, who love their children and want to do the best for them, using the knowledge and the experience that they have in advantage of us. You are implying that they do not know what we do, when in actual fact they know alot more. You may not grasp it, but it is incredibly easy to manipulate young people, especially those who have no life experience outside of 20 years schooling, during which time we are the putty for professors and ideology of the ruling class who guide the curriculum, and decide what ideas we are exposed to. What you propose is not only ignorant and arrogant but incredibly dangerous and antithetical to a liberal, democratic society.
Reply 58
those stats are wrong - they're poll results about predicted turnout, the actual turnout for 18-25 was 43%

And you can't really blame young people for not voting as much, because we're constantly outvoted by old people that we don't sympathise with. I don't like politicians, but at least some of them are closer to my age than a lot of the electorate! Its a self-feeding cycle, and yes, the way out is for youth turnout to improve, but its difficult to when the political process is already so backwards.

Original post by ICEN_Prophet
Go complain about your mates!
13483231_507286212814051_2298538235013528305_o.png
Reply 59
Original post by microsoft
That's not wise at all, it is arrogant and ignorant.
These are your mothers and fathers who have life experience, who love their children and want to do the best for them, using the knowledge and the experience that they have in advantage of us. You are implying that they do not know what we do, when in actual fact they know alot more. You may not grasp it, but it is incredibly easy to manipulate young people, especially those who have no life experience outside of 20 years schooling, during which time we are the putty for professors and ideology of the ruling class who guide the curriculum, and decide what ideas we are exposed to. What you propose is not only ignorant and arrogant but incredibly dangerous and antithetical to a liberal, democratic society.

I honestly refuse to believe that most people ages 18-25 are actually swayed by what their parents/lecturers say. No more so that everyone else is by what the politicians say, anyhow.

As for being swayed by your environment growing up, that doesn't change as you get older. Hence why we're seeing such a generational divide here - older people grew up in an isolationist world that no longer exists. Younger people have always been in the EU and don't have any identity qualms with it.

For the last time, I do not want people to vote for what they think is best for me. I am perfectly capable of making that decision myself.

Latest

Trending

Trending