The Student Room Group

FP3 UK June 2016 Model Solutions with paper

Edexcel uk paper. I thought this was really easy bar 7(a). However this was only worth 3 marks so it's not too bad.
I wouldn't worry about 4(i) much. By not use a calculator, they mean you can't simply evaluate the answer using a calculator that has a facility for numerical integration. As long as you showed some working and got an answer you'll be fine.

67 for an A I reckon
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
does anyone know a nice way to do 7a? I feel I've done too much for a 3 marker
Original post by kprime2
does anyone know a nice way to do 7a? I feel I've done too much for a 3 marker

If you write " In - In-2 " in terms of the integrals at the beginning, and you use the trig formulae on page 6 from the pink formulae booklet, the work will be significantly shorter
Reply 3
Original post by lawlieto
If you write " In - In-2 " in terms of the integrals at the beginning, and you use the trig formulae on page 6 from the pink formulae booklet, the work will be significantly shorter

But it says "prove that" rather than show that. Would they accept that method?

The mark distribution in that entire question is ridiculous.
Original post by Ayman!

For 3 marks I'm almost sure they'd accept that.
Reply 5
Well 7(a) is in the official Pearson FP3 text book on three separate pages *[pg77 q9] [pg78 q16] [pg100 q59]*
I never sat the exam but it does look easy.
Reply 6
Original post by Mr.cool
Well 7(a) is in the official Pearson FP3 text book on three separate pages *[pg77 q9] [pg78 q16] [pg100 q59]*
I never sat the exam but it does look easy.

What method did they use?
Reply 7
Original post by lawlieto

interesting
Original post by kprime2
interesting

it took me 3 lines in the exam so i guess each line is 1 mark haha...
(i was extremely tired in my fp3 exam and i had to start this question for the third time to realise what i was doing....)
Reply 9
Original post by kprime2
What method did they use?

Attachment not found

Was worded differently in fp3 2016.
Reply 10
Original post by Mr.cool
Attachment not found

Ah I see. Yeah makes sense to assume I subcript n-2 since it was only a 3 marker
Reply 11
Original post by Mr.cool
Attachment not found

Lots would have messed this question up I think. Only very few who did the mixed exercises would have known how to do this.
Reply 12
Original post by kprime2
Lots would have messed this question up I think. Only very few who did the mixed exercises would have known how to do this.

Edexcel always do this.
On the 2015 UK FP3 two of the hardest questions 7(b) [ is on page 75 example 22 ] and 8(b) [is adapted on example 16 page 37 and was asked in 2004 june p5]
Out of curiosity, how many of you are at state schools? I've yet to hear of one that does fp3 which tbf, I would have found easier and more enjoyable than s2 or m2
Reply 14
Original post by IronicalMan
Out of curiosity, how many of you are at state schools? I've yet to hear of one that does fp3 which tbf, I would have found easier and more enjoyable than s2 or m2

I went to a state school and my school didn't offer fp3
75/75 :smile: - my A* in Further maths should be comfortable!!!
Original post by Ayman!

It is fine going LHS to RHS.
By saying
Consider, I_n-I_n-2 etc....=integral 2cos etc etc.
I don't see why people would struggle with this question though, seems extremely easy for a reduction. Other parts of the paper look harder.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
It is fine going LHS to RHS.
By saying
Consider, I_n-I_n-2 etc....=integral 2cos etc etc.
I don't see why people would struggle with this question though, seems extremely easy for a reduction. Other parts of the paper look harder.

Posted from TSR Mobile

7a was very easy, I just treated it like a normal show that and went from LHS to RHS.
Do you think 7b would cause problems?
I did it a bit differently to Kprime
Worked out l5-l3
then worked out l3-l1
Added them to get l5-l1
And then you work out l1 and add it to get l5
Original post by ninjass
7a was very easy, I just treated it like a normal show that and went from LHS to RHS.
Do you think 7b would cause problems?
I did it a bit differently to Kprime
Worked out l5-l3
then worked out l3-l1
Added them to get l5-l1
And then you work out l1 and add it to get l5

Yep that is the way I would go aswell. No I don't think it would cause any problems tbh even if done ib tbe normal(straight) way.
Really straight forward paper which is worrying, I had high hopes of FP3 maintaining a good standard of some decent maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Yep that is the way I would go aswell. No I don't think it would cause any problems tbh even if done ib tbe normal(straight) way.
Really straight forward paper which is worrying, I had high hopes of FP3 maintaining a good standard of some decent maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely I would not be surpirsed if it was above 70* for an A*, it was so so easy. The hyperbolic question (5coshx - 4 sinhx) was exact same to june 2012 as well. Edexcel have been weird this year, M2 and FP2 were very tricky whereas c3, c4, s3, and fp3 was very easy!! I would expect very high bounderies for c3, c4, s3 and fp3 now :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending