The Student Room Group

What calculator do you use?

Scroll to see replies

I've had my calculator for four and a half years. I got it as a christmas present. Now all of the buttons have worn down so you cannot read them.
Original post by Katiee224
You cut out a vital part of my sentence :K:

shhhh, that doesn't support the narrative I was going for...
Original post by 34908seikj
I mean, I'm pretty impartial when it comes to the aesthetics of a calculator, but whatever floats your boat...

Original post by Katiee224
I would recommend investing in a Casio Fx-9860GII aswell, it gained me 2 marks in the C3 exam as I forgot how to draw arcsin :laugh:

Also you can download programs to do calculus for you, however this is banned in exams and I do not recommend doing this.

Also it serves as a good backup incase your main one dies in the exam.

Ah I love calculators :cute:

i havent realised how im so excited about calculators at this moment

Original post by AlesanaWill
I used a Casio fx-83 GT plus throughout my A Levels and undergraduate degree in theoretical physics and it did the job just fine. I do also have a graphical calculator, which was a Texus TI-84 Plus. That was useful for plotting graphs etc. I think graphical calculators are allowed in A Level exams, but (at least at my uni) they were not allowed at university level. So consider whether it's worth getting one if you're only going to use it for A levels.

im just doing maths until A level :P i will have a look at the graphical one

Original post by SeanFM
I got by with a standard scientific calculator. If I could go back, I might, might have gotten one of those fancy ones where you can check integrals and sketch graphs and stuff but for me it was pretty much unnecessary/unheard of (in my class).

so one scientific calc like the one i got will do the job?

Original post by surina16
Not sure which one I'll be needing for A Level but it'll be sad to part with this beauty:

Had it since the first day of year 7 :love:

:cry: the calculator i lost was from year 7 too :cry: i can remember i bought it in a W H smith in streatham London :daydreaming: now it's in someone elses hand
My trusty Casio fx-991es plus and I have gone through a lot together... Most teachers recommend to buy it, I bought mine for £17.99 and still love it!
It'll do the job. Those fancy ones will give you a slight advantage and take some pressure off you in the exam.
The Casio FX-991 ES. It's so perfect I own three.
Just remember when you're picking a calculator, calculators that can do symbolic integration/differentiation aren't allowed in exams.
Original post by 34908seikj
Just remember when you're picking a calculator, calculators that can do symbolic integration/differentiation aren't allowed in exams.

i dont know what that means just yet :rofl:
Original post by EricPiphany
What you can't see in the picture is the ten minute wait for your calculator to graph the function.

hmmm it takes a while to do integral graphing but normal stuff is quick. *
Original post by SeanFM
It'll do the job. Those fancy ones will give you a slight advantage and take some pressure off you in the exam.

mmm by fancy do you mean ones like Casio fx-991es plus? what does a fancy one do that a standard one dont? :redface:

Original post by Plagioclase
The Casio FX-991 ES. It's so perfect I own three.

that's a bit excessive :redface: but i'll get it since a lot of people have recommended it. is that the only model you've used throughout?
Casio FX-83GT, does everything you need
I bought a graphical calculator for stats because everyone else did but I didn't even use it tbh
(edited 7 years ago)
Sorry :tongue: by fancy I mean one where you can integrate, sketch graphs etc.
Reply 33
Original post by the bear

£10 on ebay*

Nice one.

Here's one of my favourites - originally owned back in the day and recently re-purchased via fleabay.

Sinclair Enterprise Programmable.jpg
Original post by SeanFM
Sorry :tongue: by fancy I mean one where you can integrate, sketch graphs etc.

i'll know what that means when i get to it :rofl:
I use a Casio 991ES Plus but my teacher got this a few months ago and now I want it x_x
Original post by jneill
Nice one.

Here's one of my favourites - originally owned back in the day and recently re-purchased via fleabay.

Sinclair Enterprise Programmable.jpg

Reverse Polish ftw

( actually that sounds kinda Brexity :afraid: ) *
I've used it for three years now since AS Maths. Fantastic calculator. The quadratic solver gives you a nice little boost in most exams, the calculus functions give you extra peace of mind in most A Level exams and the matrix and vector functions can be very useful in Further Maths.
Reply 38
This got me through A-Level just fine:

Reply 39
Original post by the bear
Reverse Polish ftw

( actually that sounds kinda Brexity :afraid: ) *

I never did manage RPN. :frown:

Those Poles, coming over here, postfixing our notation.

Quick Reply

Latest