The Student Room Group

Students, what did you eat at uni?

I've just graduated and moving on to London for my grad job. I ate fairly decently at uni, but I'd like to increase my repertoire of meals.

I don't tend to cook for people or have people cook with me, so in general I'm looking for meals that are either economical to cook for one person, or more likely meals that are designed for 4 people, where I can split them into portions and freeze 3 portions for another day.

At uni I basically had 4 meals that I'd cook. Chicken/Mince/Bacon in a homemade tomato pasta sauce, and curries where I'd fry the chicken and some veggies and pour a sharwoods jar over them.

This worked well because 4 meals for 4 nights was what I needed. One night a week I'd get a takeaway with my flatmates, I always went to my parents house for Sunday dinner (went to uni in my hometown) and then that just left one more day where I'd make a pot of soup or just get a frozen pizza from iceland.

Basically I'm looking for more meals that are easy to split into portions and freeze as well as being reasonably cheap to make. Recommendations would be much appreciated.
Breakfast- pot noodle
Lunch- beans on toast
Dinner- pot noodle and beans on bread.
Snack- cold beans from tin.
junk junk junk.

For about 4 months I tried to eat healthy.

Then I found the takeaway deals full meals for like 2.99 BARGAIN
Reply 3
I've just graduated, during uni I had salmon with honey, soy, ginger, garlic with vegetables and brown rice, I made risottos, thai currys (from scratch), fajitas/ variations of, stir fries.

Original post by orange crush
I've just graduated and moving on to London for my grad job. I ate fairly decently at uni, but I'd like to increase my repertoire of meals.

I don't tend to cook for people or have people cook with me, so in general I'm looking for meals that are either economical to cook for one person, or more likely meals that are designed for 4 people, where I can split them into portions and freeze 3 portions for another day.

At uni I basically had 4 meals that I'd cook. Chicken/Mince/Bacon in a homemade tomato pasta sauce, and curries where I'd fry the chicken and some veggies and pour a sharwoods jar over them.

This worked well because 4 meals for 4 nights was what I needed. One night a week I'd get a takeaway with my flatmates, I always went to my parents house for Sunday dinner (went to uni in my hometown) and then that just left one more day where I'd make a pot of soup or just get a frozen pizza from iceland.

Basically I'm looking for more meals that are easy to split into portions and freeze as well as being reasonably cheap to make. Recommendations would be much appreciated.

Breakfast: toast/cereal with fruit and a glass of water
Lunch: sandwich/wrap with more fruit and a packet of crisps. Sometimes i would branch out.
Dinner: i would cook regular meals like spaghetti bolognaise, casseroles, curry, chicken with pretty much anything. I would cook meat most meals with potatoes/rice and veg. Sometimes i would have a ready meal if i was short on time, but i found it better to make bigger portions and freeze them.

Literally so many people eat junk at uni and you really dont have to at all!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lilGem
I've just graduated, during uni I had salmon with honey, soy, ginger, garlic with vegetables and brown rice, I made risottos, thai currys (from scratch), fajitas/ variations of, stir fries.

Did you make fajitas for one person or in a group? I love fajitas, but idk if you could freeze them

Original post by Natalierm2707
Breakfast: toast/cereal with fruit and a glass of water
Lunch: sandwich/wrap with more fruit and a packet of crisps. Sometimes i would branch out.
Dinner: i would cook regular meals like spaghetti bolognaise, casseroles, curry, chicken with pretty much anything. I would cook meat most meals with potatoes/rice and veg. Sometimes i would have a ready meal if i was short on time, but i found it better to make bigger portions and freeze them.

Literally so many people eat junk at uni and you really dont have to at all!

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is basically exactly how I ear (although I enjoy the occasional junk)

Just looking to branch out a bit on my evening meals beyond penne dishes and curries
Reply 6
Did you make fajitas for one person or in a group? I love fajitas, but idk if you could freeze them

Just looking to branch out a bit on my evening meals beyond penne dishes and curries

I normally made too much, so I would cook it off (depending on how much was left I would put it in the fridge for the next day or give it to my housemate). You can freeze the fried off mix rather than the actual fajitas and add the salad etc later when you reheat it*

What stopped me branching out at uni was lack of time, I would sometimes cook something exciting like a roast dinner (yes to me a roast with all the trimming is exciting) but it took so long that I stuck with healthier homemade quicker options.
I went to college, not university, but used to LOVE it on Wednesdays or Tuesdays when they did omelettes or pasta or any Chinese style meals.

On occasional days when they weren't doing omelettes, I felt like smashing up the dining area in frustration and screaming out "WHERE'S MY OMELETTE?" :unimpressed:

The where's my omelette and smashing up stuff thing is inspired by this:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest