The Student Room Group

Fines for dirty kitchen?

So i study at Aberystwyth university and of course I was unfortunate enough to be stuck with 6 males who love to party from 12pm to 5am this means dirt and a general lack of cleaning.( I'm a women fyi)
We had an inspection where everyone was informed of course I was 'lucky' enough go be kept awake three days in a row before the day, unable to eat due to the aggressive party goers and had to hand in a group presentation, so I unfortunately overslept even with nine alarms on. This meant the team arrived to a bomb of a kitchen, I asked if they would give extra time and surprisingly they did all be it begrudgingly. Only two helped clean but all they did were the bins and their own washing up. How do I go about dealing with them as they can be argumentive, aggressive and downright scary when I try to disagree with any of their behaviour, I can't right now move unfortunately but I can't keep cleaning for 6 other people just so we don't all get fined. Help?
I have emailed before but I'm nervous it will tick them off and their start banging on my windows at midnight again.
Reply 1
What a nightmare, and quite typical of a shared student kitchen. You are stuck with this set of dirty students who have probably led a gilded life before being responsible for themselves - where they have never had a need to wash up or clear up ever before in their lives. I can only assume their butler cleaned up after them or the fairies did it all.

You are not expected to clean up for others. Sometimes a cardboard box and a marker pen with dishes and pans shoved into it will help focus minds. Stick the box on the kitchen table. Keep your own pans and plates in your room. Challenge any fines - take photos of when you have cleaned up and keep a note of when it gets like a sty. Try not to let this consume you or the irritation will eat you up. You are fighting a losing battle for other dirty, uncaring people. I would be interested to know how they chase up unpaid fines, and what the liability is as an individual if you clean up after yourself when others don't. If you don't pay, I think it would be a little like private car parking fines.

I would go and speak with the accommodation office at your Uni and see what solutions they can offer, to the mess and to the anti social window banging. Recheck your terms in your accommodation It will be a very long year if you don't get this sorted out.
is this typical of females too? im sorry you have to put up with their nonsense.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending