The Student Room Group

good feminism or narrative novels english lit?

>good feminism novel

They don't exist
Original post by TheIr0nDuke
>good feminism novel

They don't exist

ASOIAF has pretty heavy feminst undertones while still being pretty damn good
Original post by Zargabaath
ASOIAF has pretty heavy feminst undertones while still being pretty damn good

Later ASOIAF novels, which are trash. First three books are great, tails off after.
Reply 4
The Wife of Bath's tale, if you're into the practice of exploring interpretations that are at complete odds with the likely actual intentions of the author (which I don't think is necessarily a worthless practice)
Original post by idontknowmedoyou

The Handmaid's Tale is a pretty good feminist novel. I'm unsure as what you mean by good narrative novels though?
Reply 6
Original post by Fox Corner
The Handmaid's Tale is a pretty good feminist novel. I'm unsure as what you mean by good narrative novels though?

The Handmaid's Tale is also good for narrative novels - if by narrative novels you mean novels with an unusual method of narration and potentially unreliable narrators (massive spoilers for the ending).

Spoiler

"Orange Are Not the Only Fruit" could be feminist also as it talks on Christianity, the "Sisterhood" in the protagonists' church, the expectation for all women to marry men/have kids and how the protagonist breaks free from that, but it's more of a stretch.

"The War of the Worlds" could be a good narrative novel as the narrator is deliberately detached, stoical, technical, scientific and emotionless, and narrates events like people dying in front of him as if he was watching from a distance. He tries to be a neutral observer of the Martians' invasion - so he deliberately refuses to side with humanity - even if his emotions get in the way. This makes it annoying to read, but it can still be useful.
Original post by idontknowmedoyou

A Thousand Splendid Suns, Wuthering Heights and, undeniably feminist in nature, Carter's The Bloody Chamber

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kingaaran
A Thousand Splendid Suns, Wuthering Heights and, undeniably feminist in nature, Carter's The Bloody Chamber

Posted from TSR Mobile

My favourite book :heart:
Original post by Fox Corner
My favourite book :heart:

Don't we all love a bit of Carter :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have a personal hatred of the bloody chamber.
What about the Great Gatsby as a good narrative novel or possibly the Book Thief?
As for the feminist writing how about Emma?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending