The Student Room Group

Brexit: China wants UK trade deal ASAP, frustrated with EU's failure to conclude one

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fullofsurprises
Oh no, he didn't. No such luck. Like David Cameron, he posed as for Remain.

In fact, his attitude could best be described as 'slippery' or even 'deceitful'. He killed the campaign with silence, unlike Cammie and Gideon, who killed it with ridiculous statements.

So he should be crucified because he was silent, when there was clear conflict of interest on his part.

People will never be satisfied. There is nothing Corbyn can do to salvage his name. If he follows his conviction, he is a dictator trying to force his way; if he follows the tone of his Party, he is deceitful and a liar.

I think that he should start being more of himself regardless of whether it pleases his party or not. This way, people cannot accuse him of deceit.
Original post by Quantex
We have the highest rate of obesity in Europe. A lack a food is something Britain isn't concerned about.

It was an expression, not meant literally.

To imply that we have to pay our way in the world.
Oh great. Cheap state subsidized Chinese goods to flood the market !!!

Can't wait
Original post by Good bloke
Don't be childish. In the context of a discussion about trade with China ( a country with an odd political system, aggression and a history of human rights abuses) no sensible person would ascribe racist motives to a dislike of a potential trade deal.

Firstly, odd is subjective.

I'm sure there are plenty the Chinese can refer to Britain as odd.

As for aggression and a history of human rights abuses... REALLY? Try looking at the political mirror, say for the past 20 years.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Perhaps 'dodgy' isn't quite the right word. I was talking about the background to a deal that is completely in China's interests and not much in ours. I regard that as a dodgy situation.

It's as if the manager of an old people's home is in need of funds for a new extension. He brings in some investors who agree to the loan, provided that an exceptionally high price is charged to the residents for the next 50 years, something they have no control over. The manager is only temporarily in the job and he feels it will make him look good, so he signs on the dotted line and has his picture taken with the investors, who are delighted with the deal. The only people who aren't are the residents, but they have an odd sort of contract which means they and their families have no choice but to pay these extremely high fees going forwards.

Would you describe that situation as 'normal'?

If it isn't the right word, why say it then? And why tag it right before the word "Chinese"? The impliation is obvious.

As for your bizare example, no the situation isn't normal. But then how many Chinese investors are involved in retirement homes? Another misleading association.
Original post by Casserole
Firstly, odd is subjective.

I'm sure there are plenty the Chinese can refer to Britain as odd.

As for aggression and a history of human rights abuses... REALLY? Try looking at the political mirror, say for the past 20 years.

You are unaware of Chinese aggression in Tibet and the South China Sea then?
Original post by Casserole
If it isn't the right word, why say it then? And why tag it right before the word "Chinese"? The impliation is obvious.

As for your bizare example, no the situation isn't normal. But then how many Chinese investors are involved in retirement homes? Another misleading association.

It's only bizarre because the reality is bizarre. We are being sold down the river by Tory politicians to a foreign interest seizing the opportunity purely because it offers them outlandish profits. That interest is a state company of a corrupt totalitarian regime. Yet apparently all this is fine with a supine Tory Party, purely because it is not being built by the British state, even though it is a critical national industry, which we used to be good at and still need.

Really, we are in the outer reaches of neoliberal madness and Tory stupidity.
I am surprised that so many people here think that a free trade deal with China has unqualified benefits for the UK. Such a deal absolutely benefits China but the implications for the UK are a lot more nuanced. Big business will benefit of course, but the very low wages and cost of goods and services in China relative to the UK can have devastating effects to the most vulnerable populations in the UK through job losses at very large scale, high unemployment and wages that are driven steeply downwards. It is not an unreserved opportunity.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Yellow 03
I am surprised that so many people here think that a free trade deal with China has unqualified benefits for the UK. Such a deal absolutely benefits China but the implications for the UK are a lot more nuanced. Big business will benefit of course, but the very low wages and cost of goods and services in China relative to the UK can have devastating effects to the most vulnerable populations in the UK through job losses at very large scale, high unemployment and wages that are driven steeply downwards.

Agreed. At the moment, we are taking their money and their steel. But God help us if we fully open our markets up to the might of China. Alas Rolls Royce and other in-demand brands in China are not going to compensate for the havoc an open door policy to Chinese trade would have in this country.
Reply 89
Original post by generallee
That's the bulldog spirit. :rolleyes:

When I read some posters on this website it feels like the working class (who swung it for Brexit against the wishes of their "betters" ) is the only demographic left in this country which still has a bit of backbone.

Enough of the problem stating, already. This deal is a fantastic opportunity for our nation. Remoaners like you need to stop talking the country down, saying we are not capable of organising trade agreements without the failed eurocracy, and embrace the opportunity to become the Singapore of Europe.

Do you want us to fail? So it proves you were right all along? Is that it?

Chinese negotiators will eat naive people like you for breakfast. There is a reason working class people get screwed all the time and its because they are not up to dealing with the important stuff. If they were, they would not be working class.
Original post by Maker
Chinese negotiators will eat naive people like you for breakfast. There is a reason working class people get screwed all the time and its because they are not up to dealing with the important stuff. If they were, they would not be working class.

I am not negotiating with the Chinese.

Are you for real?
Reply 91
Not so small: Great Britain is the tenth largest island in the world, and the UK has the fifth largest economy.

Sixth since Brexit
Reply 92
Original post by generallee
I am not negotiating with the Chinese.

Are you for real?

Thats a good thing.
And still can after Brexit.

So... what was the point in leaving?
Original post by Yellow 03
I am surprised that so many people here think that a free trade deal with China has unqualified benefits for the UK. Such a deal absolutely benefits China but the implications for the UK are a lot more nuanced. Big business will benefit of course, but the very low wages and cost of goods and services in China relative to the UK can have devastating effects to the most vulnerable populations in the UK through job losses at very large scale, high unemployment and wages that are driven steeply downwards. It is not an unreserved opportunity.

Listen to the talk of some of the leading corporate people and their political allies and you get the distinct impression that they admire China precisely because it is a lower wage economy, with few rights for workers, chronically poor working conditions, a complete ban on independent unions and no political freedoms or right to dissent.

Indeed, it's almost as if China presents a model to many neoliberals and particularly perhaps to leading Tory politicians and others on the Right of how to run things. There is nothing they crave more than an end to dissent and slave labour conditions for a large group of working people.

Note that across the pond, Trump is also a fan and has repeatedly said he will get on well with the Chinese leaders.

Who needs democracy when you can shift all of your production to a dictatorship? Indeed, the only goal that remains is to destroy it at home.
Original post by Maker
Sixth since Brexit

No. Read it again. Carefully.
Original post by InnerTemple
So... what was the point in leaving?

Nothing to do with holiday travel, certainly.
Nothing to do with holiday travel, certainly.

Well I'm glad you cleared that up...
Original post by Mathemagicien
You forget that that wasn't meant to be an exhaustive list

But anyway, it looks like some people disagree with you

http://www.worldatlas.com/articles/countries-with-the-most-high-tech-exports.html

ranks top high tech exporters in this order: China, Germany, US, Singapore, South Korea, France, Japan

That link actually proves me right, ranks China as number 1.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Mathemagicien: Look at high tech/high quality goods, they often come from Germany and the US
Sebastian Bartlett: You forget the largest producers of high tech products, South Korea, Japan oh and you guessed it China.
Mathemagicien: You forget that that wasn't meant to be an exhaustive list. But anyway, it looks like some people disagree with you. http://www.worldatlas.com/articles/countries-with-the-most-high-tech-exports.html ranks top high tech exporters in this order: China, Germany, US, Singapore, South Korea, France, Japan

The link proves you wrong, ranking South Korea and Japan lower down than Germany and the US

Love how you ignore the original comment you commented on clearly aimed at discrediting his post about China being dominant. I then mentioned the largest producers which include SK and Japan. Stop trying to beat around the bush, proved you wrong, get over it..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending