The Student Room Group

Saying"white lives matter" to counter "black lives matter" is ridiculous..

Scroll to see replies

All lives matter equally. This 'black lives matter' protest is merely an excuse to be mad. Nobody discriminated against black people or ethnicities anymore.
Reply 41
Original post by xkalibrr
Yes, but you do have to factor in other factors. Like I'm not denying they do commit more crimes, but you have to remember a few things.
1. There is inherent bias that means they are more likely to be arrested. Not only subconscious bias by officers, but also systemic issues like racial profiling. --> Data might not be truly representative
2. Well, yes, they might commit more crimes. But it is the response that is important here. There is absolutely no need to use your gun as a first response, and the fact is, police officers shooting black criminals happens more often than necessary, in comparison to the number of times where police officers have pulled their gun at a white criminal

I am inclined to believe there may well be inherent systemic biases like you describe, especially given America's history, but I am yet to see objective evidence. The many videos, however sickening they may be, are still individual incidents. I don't doubt that there are racist officers. I don't doubt that some police forces will try to protect their officers even in these extreme cases, where it seems to me that what happened can not be described as anything but murder.
I agree that they shouldn't be so trigger happy, but my point was that you could equally say that they are more inclined to shoot at a man than a woman, but we don't hear about police being sexist. I think the main problem is simply police brutality.
Reply 42
Original post by Observatory
And races?

The fact is blacks are an outrageously criminal population in the US, so much so that they have driven millions or tens of millions, mostly white, to flee cities to which blacks have moved over the 20th century, which they have then destroyed.

Black Lives Matter probably has a point in some individual cases - the police really aren't held to the same standards as the public, in any country - but they obscure the most important issue here which is that black crime does not seem to have any solution other than the separation of blacks into ghettos. Indeed they seem to be calling for policies that would amount in practice to the legalisation of crime by blacks.

How exactly have black people driven white people to flee cities? Source me. Instead, it has been the other way round. Systemic discrimination, as well as economic disparities, have forced black people into specific areas, causing ghettoization. And blacks are not "an outrageously criminal population, they are simply coerced by economic and societal factors into doing crime, which is then heavily focused on by police departments.

Original post by CBMFM99
All lives matter equally. This 'black lives matter' protest is merely an excuse to be mad. Nobody discriminated against black people or ethnicities anymore.

That is just plainly untrue. Racial profiling?
Original post by Twinpeaks
The default in America has always been that white lives are worth more than black lives, or ethnic minority lives in general.

"The seal and the constitution, reflects the thinking of the founding fathers that this was to be a nation by white people, and for white people. Native Americans, Blacks, and all other non-white people, were to be the burden bearers for the real citizens of this nation." - Louis Farrakhan @ The Million Man March (1995)
Reply 44
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I am inclined to believe there may well be inherent systemic biases like you describe, especially given America's history, but I am yet to see objective evidence. The many videos, however sickening they may be, are still individual incidents. I don't doubt that there are racist officers. I don't doubt that some police forces will try to protect their officers even in these extreme cases, where it seems to me that what happened can not be described as anything but murder.
I agree that they shouldn't be so trigger happy, but my point was that you could equally say that they are more inclined to shoot at a man than a woman, but we don't hear about police being sexist. I think the main problem is simply police brutality.

Well, if that were the case, then yes, police are sexist. How is that mutually exclusive with the claim that they are racist?

And yes, that is true, ultimately, even if there was discrimination against black people, none of this would be happening, if the police never used guns, so yes, police brutality is a big part of it
Original post by AsapRocky
The reason for black lives matter is because evidentially the general thinking is that they dont.. White people do not need to start saying white lives matter as clearly they seem to matter the most.. Black lives matter movement is basically saying "our lives matter just as much as yours..." So stop being an idiot, history proves white lives have been priority since day 0. But yeah go ahead and try to continue to oppress people and try to act like they are being unreasonable for speaking out, typical

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hear hear.
Reply 46
Original post by Xelfrost
If black lives matter can organise a load of street marches surely they can organise some community groups to sort our their own neighbourhoods in an attempt to fix crime and generally improve life conditions. But they don't. The entire movement is just people rioting for the sake of it and none of them have made any effort to actually make a difference.

You're offering a magic bullet solution in "community groups" to what is a complex problem. If eradicating black crime was as easy as having sit down meals with law-abiding citizens, bloods and crips and singing Kumbaya do you not think it already would have happened?
[video="youtube;piwaBO6U43U"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piwaBO6U43U[/video]
Reply 48
Original post by xkalibrr
Well, if that were the case, then yes, police are sexist. How is that mutually exclusive with the claim that they are racist?

And yes, that is true, ultimately, even if there was discrimination against black people, none of this would be happening, if the police never used guns, so yes, police brutality is a big part of it

Fair point. Tbh I wouldn't be surprised if many police are both racist and sexist to some extent (I think in general people are less likely to be violent against women, and the racism may well stem from historical problems in US). But my point was that "men commit more violent crimes" is seen as a viable argument to dismiss the latter notion, while "black people commit more violent crimes" is not seen as a viable argument to dismiss the former, even though statistically there is evidence that both statements are true.
Yea finally someone with sense on here :smile:
Original post by Asurat
You're offering a magic bullet solution in "community groups" to what is a complex problem. If eradicating black crime was as easy as having sit down meals with law-abiding citizens, bloods and crips and singing Kumbaya do you not think it already would have happened?

The point is they're not even trying that. Instead they're just rioting which does nothing but further tensions between groups that are already at edge with eachother.
If black lives matter can organise a load of street marches surely they can organise some community groups to sort our their own neighbourhoods in an attempt to fix crime and generally improve life conditions. But they don't. The entire movement is just people rioting for the sake of it and none of them have made any effort to actually make a difference.

When you are systematically oppressed and faced with barriers to education, social mobility, it's a little difficult to 'sort out your own neighbourhoods'. That's like saying 'it's poor people's fault that they're poor. If they work harder they'll get rich '. That's not how it works. The reason there are black communities and poor neighbourhoods is because of racism and inequality in the system. To make any progress that needs to be tackled first.
Reply 52
Original post by ubiquitousking
Look at the way sentences are enforced based on race? A black person killing a white person is more likely to result in a longer sentence (or even death sentence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJO4J_tJC2s)

Interesting. Definitely supporting evidence of racial bias
Original post by Asurat

It is interesting that he is more concerned about ending black crime, but yet the poorest of whites who face similar issues, such as crime and poverty are ignored and are taught to hold on yo their values.
But that is just modern ignorance for you
Reply 54
Original post by PobNotBob
Well I say all lives matter equally.

Imagine that you’re sitting down to dinner with your family, and while everyone else gets a serving of the meal, you don’t get any. So you say “I should get my fair share.” And as a direct response to this, your dad corrects you, saying, everyone should get their fair share.” Now, that’s a wonderful sentiment indeed, everyone should, and that was kinda your point in the first place: that you should be a part of everyone, and you should get your fair share also. However, dad’s smart-ass comment just dismissed you and didn’t solve the problem that you still haven’t gotten any!

The problem is that the statement “I should get my fair share” had an implicit “too” at the end: “I should get my fair share, too, just like everyone else.” But your dad’s response treated your statement as though you meant only I should get my fair share”, which clearly was not your intention. As a result, his statement that “everyone should get their fair share,” while true, only served to ignore the problem you were trying to point out.

That’s the situation of the “black lives matter” movement. Culture, laws, the arts, religion, and everyone else repeatedly suggest that all lives should matter. Clearly, that message already abounds in our society.

I C&P this from tumblr btw
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TheTechN1304
When you are systematically oppressed and faced with barriers to education, social mobility, it's a little difficult to 'sort out your own neighbourhoods'. That's like saying 'it's poor people's fault that they're poor. If they work harder they'll get rich '. That's not how it works. The reason there are black communities and poor neighbourhoods is because of racism and inequality in the system. To make any progress that needs to be tackled first.

It's nothing like that at all. Poor people can still work together to improve their quality of life. There's no magical "System" that sends in riot vans to prevent them from doing it.

And using Racism as an excuse for why African Americans can't fix their own neighborhoods is just lazy. Firstly, there is no racism stopping blacks from achieving. By pushing this myth you're just harming them by telling them that they're never going to be anything. If there was racism explain the damn president for crying out loud.
Reply 56
The point is they're not even trying that. Instead they're just rioting which does nothing but further tensions between groups that are already at edge with eachother.

Up and down the states there are community projects targetted at children in deprived areas who could potentially join gangs, even one led my Kendrick Lamar and Barack Obama. You shouldn't talk about african americans as one big homogeneous group because whilst some people are taking to the streets to riot, others are engaging in peaceful protests, others sit-ins, etc. "They're just rioting" is wrong.
Original post by Asurat
Up and down the states there are community projects targetted at children in deprived areas who could potentially join gangs, even one led my Kendrick Lamar and Barack Obama. You shouldn't talk about african americans as one big homogeneous group because whilst some people are taking to the streets to riot, others are engaging in peaceful protests, others sit-ins, etc. "They're just rioting" is wrong.

I'm not talking about African Americans, I'm talking about Black Lives Matter... And no, I'm not wrong. Black Lives Matters are a group of rioters that have done more to separate racial cohesion than the "Far Right."
Original post by Hann95
How about us white folk start being thankful that we don't need a movement?

I'm grateful to live in a country where traffic police don't carry guns, where there is no second amendment right to bear arms, where mass shootings are a rareity, not a daily norm. That being said, I'd be absolutely stupid to believe that racial profiling doesn't happen. Of course it does, and not just to black people.

#blacklivesmatter is important. When can you recall a white person in American being killed for selling CDs or cigarettes, or reaching to provide his ID like he was asked to do, or for moving lanes without signalling, or for having a broken taillight?

Try saying "they should comply with police" or "they shouldn't resist arrest". Did you see Philando Castille? Did you see how Eric Garner said 11 times that he could not breathe? Did you see that Freddie Gray's legs were broken as they dragged him to the van? Did you see how police had restraint of Alton Sterling's arms and hands? Did you see the way that Sandra Bland was physically pulled from her car?

With the Sandra Bland case, the cop clearly was asking her to get out the car multiple times and he was actually quite polite to begin with. But she had an attitude. And he said multiple times "get out the car or I'll remove you from the car" - she didn't listen so the cop did what he said he would. He's allowed to do it , people don't seem to get that if a cop tells you to do something, you do it. People need to put their ego and pride to one side.
Reply 59
I'm not talking about African Americans, I'm talking about Black Lives Matter...

Regardless if you're talking about the movement or the organisation there's a lot more to both than "riots", BLM doesn't organise "riots" but protests can devolve.

Quick Reply

Latest