The Student Room Group

Complicated proofs of simple facts...

Theorem: The sum of the degrees of the vertices of a graph is even.
Proof: The number NN of graphs with degrees d1,,dnd_1,\ldots,d_n is the coefficient of x1d1xndnx_1^{d_1}\cdots x_n^{d_n} in the generating function j<k(1+xjxk)\prod_{j<k}(1+x_jx_k). Now apply Cauchy's Theorem in nn complex dimensions, giving
N=1(2πi)nj<k(1+xjxk)x1d1+1xndn+1dx1dxnN = \frac{1}{(2\pi i)^n} \oint\cdots\oint \frac{\prod_{j<k}(1+x_jx_k)}{x_1^{d_1+1}\cdots x_n^{d_n+1}} dx_1\cdots dx_n
where each integral is a simple closed contour enclosing the origin once.
Choosing the circles xj=eiθjx_j=e^{i\theta_j}, we get
N=1(2π)nππππj<k(1+eθj+θk)ei(d1θ1++dnθn)dθ1dθnN = \frac{1}{(2\pi)^n} \int_{-\pi}^\pi\cdots\int_{-\pi}^\pi \frac{\prod_{j\lt k}(1+e^{\theta_j+\theta_k})}{e^{i(d_1\theta_1+\cdots +d_n\theta_n)}}d\theta_1\cdots d\theta_n
Alternatively, choosing the circles xj=ei(θj+π)x_j=e^{i(\theta_j+\pi)}, we get
N=1(2π)nππππj<k(1+eθj+θk)ei(d1θ1++dnθn+kπ)dθ1dθnN = \frac{1}{(2\pi)^n} \int_{-\pi}^\pi\cdots\int_{-\pi}^\pi \frac{\prod_{j\lt k}(1+e^{\theta_j+\theta_k})}{e^{i(d_1\theta_1+\cdots +d_n\theta_n+k\pi)}}d\theta_1 \cdots d\theta_n
where k=d1++dnk=d_1+\cdots+d_n. Since eikπ=1e^{ik\pi}=-1 when kk is an odd integer, we can add these two integrals to get 2N=02N=0.

Theorem: 5!/25!/2 is even.
Proof: 5!/25!/2 is the order of the group A5A_5 (see http://groupprops.subwiki.org/wiki/Alternating_group:A5). It is known that A5A_5 is a non-abelian simple group. Therefore A5A_5 is not solvable. But the Feit-Thompson Theorem asserts that every finite group with odd cardinal is solvable, so 5!/25!/2 must be an even number.

Theorem: 21/n2^{1/n} is irrational for n3n\geq3.
Proof: If 21/n=p/q2^{1/n}=p/q then pn=qn+qnp^n = q^n+q^n, contradicting Fermat's Last Theorem. Unfortunately FLT isn't strong enough to prove the irrationality of 2\sqrt{2} though.
Alternative Proof: Xn2X^n-2 is an irreducible polynomial, by Eisenstein's Criterion.

Theorem: The harmonic series diverges.
Proof: Assume it is convergent. Then the functions fn:=1n1[0,n]f_n := \frac{1}{n} 1_{[0,n]} would be dominated by an absolutely integrable function. But
Rlimnfn(x) dx=01=limnRfn(x) dx\int_{\bf R} \lim_{n \to \infty} f_n(x)\ dx = 0 \neq 1 = \lim_{n \to \infty} \int_{\bf R} f_n(x)\ dx
contradicting the Dominated Convergence Theorem.

Theorem: There are infinitely many primes.
Proof: ζ(3)=p11p3\zeta(3)=\prod_p \frac{1}{1-p^{-3}} is irrational, by Apery's Theorem.

Theorem: All integers n>1n>1 can be written as the sum of two squarefree integers.
Proof: We can manually check that the result holds for n104n \le 10^4. Now let SS be the set of all squarefree integers, except the primes larger than 10410^4. Then using
(a) the fact that the Schnirelmann density of the set of squarefree integers is 5388\dfrac{53}{88} - see http://www.jstor.org/pss/2034736, and
(b) some decent estimate on the prime counting function, e.g one of the inequalities at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime-counting_function#Inequalities
we have that the Schnirelmann density of SS is greater than 12\dfrac{1}{2}. By Mann's Theorem, we now have that every positive integer can be written as the sum of at most 22 elements of SS. In particular, every prime number, and every non-squarefree integer, can be written as the sum of exactly 22 elements of SS. Now all that remains is to prove the theorem for composite squarefree integers, which can be done as follows: n=pq=(p1+p2)q=p1q+p2qn = pq = (p_1 + p_2)q = p_1q + p_2q, where pp is the smallest prime dividing nn and p1,p2p_1, p_2 are squarefree integers.
Nvm
(edited 7 years ago)
Oh this wasn't a question sorry my bad. Ignore the above as you probably know it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Euclid's proof of infinitely many primes is much more elegant...
I'm stuck boys how 2 prv 5!/2 is even

I have so far

5!=5x4x3x2x1=120 so 5!/2=120/2 but I don't know how to finish it.

Send help....

Hapax you compensating for anything with these proofs I wonder?
Original post by cliveb2016
I'm stuck boys how 2 prv 5!/2 is even

I have so far

5!=5x4x3x2x1=120 so 5!/2=120/2 but I don't know how to finish it.

Send help....

Hapax you compensating for anything with these proofs I wonder?

I think the questn is rong. Coz 1/2 is 0.5 which isnt a whole number so the proof is brocken.
Reply 6
Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem comes to mind..
Original post by HapaxOromenon3

Is this not all just from MathOverflow? What is the point of typing it up here?
Original post by ThatPerson
Is this not all just from MathOverflow? What is the point of typing it up here?

It's interesting and many people won't have seen them before...
Reply 9
Original post by HapaxOromenon3
It's interesting and many people won't have seen them before...

Don't you think you should at least acknowledge your sources? Why not just post a link to that page instead?
This thread is embarrassing tbh. Ripping off other peoples comments with no credit and acting like you came up with them. Just delete this post please. What's next you gonna latex up FLT proof and claim it's yours.
Original post by cliveb2016
This thread is embarrassing tbh. Ripping off other peoples comments with no credit and acting like you came up with them. Just delete this post please. What's next you gonna latex up FLT proof and claim it's yours.

But what if he is Andy Andy Wilez . Unless you mean Fermats Little theorem, I came up with that 1.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest