The Student Room Group

UCAS Place of Birth Question

Basically, my passport and birth certificate have different countries listed for my place of birth and I was wondering which one I should use in my UCAS application, the one on my passport or the one on my birth certificate?
(As for why the information is different: It’s complicated that’s the only answer I have)
Reply 1
Original post by desperate-times
Basically, my passport and birth certificate have different countries listed for my place of birth and I was wondering which one I should use in my UCAS application, the one on my passport or the one on my birth certificate?
(As for why the information is different: It’s complicated that’s the only answer I have)

How about using the country in which you were actually born?

(I'm assuming that this isn't something as simple as the fact that the country you were born in no longer exists.)

Agree with the above poster. I'd also notify the universities of this discrepancy anyway, and I'd give them the complete story on how did that happen and it better be a very good story.

As a sidenote, you try to get that fixed ASAP. There will be occasions where you'll be asked to provide your passport and birth certificate, and whomever asks you for both won't be very tickled by the fact that the place of birth doesn't match on both documents (to put it mildly).

Out of sheer curiosity, can you elaborate why on earth does your passport list a different place of birth than your birth certificate?
Reply 3
Why do you have a passport with the wrong information in it?
I would usually advise to go with the passport BUT in this case it's 50/50 which document is incorrect so it's not possible to give any meaningful advice without knowing more about the background.
It won’t let me respond directly to anyone for some reason, but here’s a small and vague (because I don’t understand it entirely myself) explanation for the curious:

To answer everyone’s question: It’s not entirely clear to me why the information is different; the one on the birth certificate is the correct information, while the one on my passport is incorrect. We've tried fixing it before, but it's unfortunately been an incredibly stubborn issue lol. They've listed different birthdays before too (fixed now, but just to give perspective).

Also to answer an earlier question: Both the countries very much exist.

Anyways, it looks like I'll just have to contact both UCAS and the universities themselves; thanks to everyone who has responded so far!
It won’t let me respond directly to anyone for some reason, but here’s a small and vague (because I don’t understand it entirely myself) explanation for the curious:

To answer everyone’s question: It’s not entirely clear to me why the information is different; the one on the birth certificate is the correct information, while the one on my passport is incorrect. We've tried fixing it before, but it's unfortunately been an incredibly stubborn issue lol. They've listed different birthdays before too (fixed now, but just to give perspective).

Also to answer an earlier question: Both the countries very much exist.

Anyways, it looks like I'll just have to contact both UCAS and the universities themselves; thanks to everyone who has responded so far!

In that case I would recommend persisting with getting the passport corrected as any discrepancy between your documents might get picked up by the UK Visa and Immigration service and cause issues.
Original post by Admit-One
In that case I would recommend persisting with getting the passport corrected as any discrepancy between your documents might get picked up by the UK Visa and Immigration service and cause issues.

I’m aware; that’s why I’ve been hesitant with sending in my applications despite being done for a while I already know what problems this might unfortunately cause me, and whether or not they fix the information is uncertain as it’s been an issue for years. Thanks again though
I’m aware; that’s why I’ve been hesitant with sending in my applications despite being done for a while I already know what problems this might unfortunately cause me, and whether or not they fix the information is uncertain as it’s been an issue for years. Thanks again though

No problem. If you get to the point of being an offer holder and then being issued a CAS to come to the UK, the uni will ask you to match your application details against the passport that you'll be using. My uni doesn't ask about birth certificates, but other unis and he UKVI might which is why it might get a bit convoluted.

Hope you find a way to get resolved.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending