The Student Room Group

Can I change my GCSE subject choices? I have not started the GCSE courses yet.

I have already made a post about this, but I have something else to bring up as my head of year mentioned something about option blocks to me. Before I talk about that, here is the original post which I posted.

"So I haven't actually started my GCSEs yet, I start them at the end of August which is next month. That's the start of Year 11. I was wondering if I would be able to change them because I regret a choice which I made. I originally chose Physics, Technology, ICT, Chemistry, History and German but now I would like to do Physics, Geography, History, Chemistry, ICT and German. Do you think I would be able to change my choices, since I don't start my GCSEs until the end of August? Thanks."

Before I left school for the summer holidays in June my head of year told me to bring in a form on the first day back in August with my subject choices on it so that I would be at the top of the 'waiting list', and she said the same to someone else in my class because they are changing their subjects also. I am only changing one subject, but the order of the subjects from option block 1 to 6 changes. Does that matter that much and do I have to worry about that? Thanks.
depends on ur school..
That's all down to your school. No one can really give you any advice on that here
Reply 3
Can you give me an estimate of the likelihood that I will be able to change? All I am looking for is an estimate, and my school is a very good grammar school and everyone who has changed their subjects has been able to so far.
Original post by roflwaffles2837
Can you give me an estimate of the likelihood that I will be able to change? All I am looking for is an estimate, and my school is a very good grammar school and everyone who has changed their subjects has been able to so far.

If from what you said, your school easily changes people's GCSE subjects at their request then it means you're also likely to be able to change that one subject. Considering you didn't start it yet you're also more likely to get it changed

As it is entirely down to your school's policy, its staffing, its timetabling and the number of pupils in the classes, no, nobody can tell you anything about this. Nothing anyone could say would have any value because we know none of the circumstances. You have to discuss this with your school.
Reply 6
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
As it is entirely down to your school's policy, its staffing, its timetabling and the number of pupils in the classes, no, nobody can tell you anything about this. Nothing anyone could say would have any value because we know none of the circumstances. You have to discuss this with your school.

Thanks I'm just worried that I won't be able to change but there are more things in my favour than not, here are some examples.
1. My head of year told me everyone who requested a change so far was able to change.
2. A lot of people mention that you have about 2 weeks after the start of your GCSE courses to change them if you don't like them.
3. My friend's friend swapped chemistry out for a different subject in the first week of year 11.

Can you tell me anything based off of this? Thanks.
Reply 7
I have already made a post about this, but I have something else to bring up as my head of year mentioned something about option blocks to me. Before I talk about that, here is the original post which I posted.

"So I haven't actually started my GCSEs yet, I start them at the end of August which is next month. That's the start of Year 11. I was wondering if I would be able to change them because I regret a choice which I made. I originally chose Physics, Technology, ICT, Chemistry, History and German but now I would like to do Physics, Geography, History, Chemistry, ICT and German. Do you think I would be able to change my choices, since I don't start my GCSEs until the end of August? Thanks."

Before I left school for the summer holidays in June my head of year told me to bring in a form on the first day back in August with my subject choices on it so that I would be at the top of the 'waiting list', and she said the same to someone else in my class because they are changing their subjects also. I am only changing one subject, but the order of the subjects from option block 1 to 6 changes. Does that matter that much and do I have to worry about that? Thanks.

Depends on the school, but they usually do. Someone at my school got to change their subjects 3 months in.
Reply 8
Original post by luciie
Depends on the school, but they usually do. Someone at my school got to change their subjects 3 months in.

Thanks, this is very reassuring because you're saying someone changed their subject 3 months in but I haven't even started mine!

As others have said, it's down to the school. However, so long as there are spaces in the classes you want to join, I am sure they will let you. I know several people who did this at GCSE and I myself changed 3 of my 4 AS level choices on beginning year 12.
Thanks I'm just worried that I won't be able to change but there are more things in my favour than not, here are some examples.
1. My head of year told me everyone who requested a change so far was able to change.
2. A lot of people mention that you have about 2 weeks after the start of your GCSE courses to change them if you don't like them.
3. My friend's friend swapped chemistry out for a different subject in the first week of year 11.

Can you tell me anything based off of this? Thanks.

No, for the reasons I said.
Reply 11
Original post by Platopus
As others have said, it's down to the school. However, so long as there are spaces in the classes you want to join, I am sure they will let you. I know several people who did this at GCSE and I myself changed 3 of my 4 AS level choices on beginning year 12.

Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest