The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Got a 2:2 in my first year, will I be able to pull it up to a 2:1 or 1st?

Hi :smile:

just received my results and I achieved a 2.2 for my first year, being 4% off a 2.1

I have a placement year in my 3rd year of my course and apparently when applying for placements, they will look at my first year results. Is this true or do they just want a prediction for my final year grade?

Also, as I was 4% off a 2.1, do you think its possible for me to pull myself up to a 2.1 at least? Obviously I'd love a first but I'm doubting that will happen now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Thanks
Yes you can get a 2.1 or 1st. Don't fret too much about your first year results with regard to placements. Chances are you will get some interviews simply by applying and then it comes down to the interview.
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Original post by Tinkerbell1997
Hi :smile:

just received my results and I achieved a 2.2 for my first year, being 4% off a 2.1

I have a placement year in my 3rd year of my course and apparently when applying for placements, they will look at my first year results. Is this true or do they just want a prediction for my final year grade?

Also, as I was 4% off a 2.1, do you think its possible for me to pull myself up to a 2.1 at least? Obviously I'd love a first but I'm doubting that will happen now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Thanks

It's possible to get a 2:1 or a 1st. Year one doesn't contribute to your overall degree classification mark and is there to bring everyone up to speed, whilst it might be disappointing to come away with, you should be able to gain some invaluable feedback from your lecturers which you can hopefully take forward into next year.

They should all have bookable office hours and the LDC is on hand if you need extra support with your degree. In terms of securing a placement, a large majority of our students secure one, make sure to make the most of all the resources the Careers+Placements team have available for you, they can help you with your CV and mock interviews.

You'll be fine, don't be scared to ask for help if you want to achieve.

Best of luck

Josh :smile:*
Reply 3
I was lazy and didn't realise that you actually do have to put the work in at University to get the grades, unlike at school. I ended first year with a 2.2 (57%).

I graduated last year with a first. So yes, it is very doable. First year doesn't count towards your overall degree classification, but just make sure you don't go into 2nd year with this attitude and work hard from the off, and i'm sure you'll achieve at least a 2.1.

Also, I secured a good placement abroad. I don't think they take your first year grades into account that much. I'm sure they place more importance on your application, interview and experience.

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest