The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

swapping courses at bristol university

hi everyone, i was wondering if anyone knows about how easy/ difficult it is to swap courses in the first week of bristol university. I have a place for September but want to swap courses. Does anyone have any experience with this at bristol uni? thanks so much, any help greatly appreciated! thanks!
Dont wait until then. Do it now.

If you start a course you dont want you may have to wait until Xmas to switch and you'll have missed vital intro units. Or you may not be able to switch at all. Phone Admissions and get it sorted now.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by sophiehamilton
hi everyone, i was wondering if anyone knows about how easy/ difficult it is to swap courses in the first week of bristol university. I have a place for September but want to swap courses. Does anyone have any experience with this at bristol uni? thanks so much, any help greatly appreciated! thanks!

Depends on whether it's a big switch or just a minor one..

Eg when I was at Bristol lots of people switched from eco + accounting to Eco + management at the end of the first year as everyone does the same or similar first year. If you're talking about a big change like Eco to chemistry then you're best off calling them now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3

Last year I was offered a place, then decided to switch courses before starting. Really easy to do (this was a minor change though, not cross-subject), here's what happened.

Sent them an email stating my details: name, ucas details, what course you are on and want to change to and try to give them a decent reason why.

They will tell you of any changes to entry requirements and ask you to email back to confirm the change.

"We have actioned the amendment for you today through to UCAS and this
decision should be visible on UCAS Track within the next couple of days. "

Then it's done, overall took 12 days to complete and no hassle really.

If you're sure - do it now before starting, you may not be able to until after the 1st year if you wait.
Thanks so much everyone for the help!
Original post by DQd
Last year I was offered a place, then decided to switch courses before starting. Really easy to do (this was a minor change though, not cross-subject), here's what happened.

Sent them an email stating my details: name, ucas details, what course you are on and want to change to and try to give them a decent reason why.

They will tell you of any changes to entry requirements and ask you to email back to confirm the change.

"We have actioned the amendment for you today through to UCAS and this
decision should be visible on UCAS Track within the next couple of days. "

Then it's done, overall took 12 days to complete and no hassle really.

If you're sure - do it now before starting, you may not be able to until after the 1st year if you wait.

Thanks so much! I'm thinking of swapping from law to politics and international relations ! What course did you swap out of interest?
And does anyone know whether on results day if grades were dropped ! Thanks loads
Reply 6
Thanks so much! I'm thinking of swapping from law to politics and international relations ! What course did you swap out of interest?
And does anyone know whether on results day if grades were dropped ! Thanks loads

Those aren't too far apart. I swapped from econ to econ+ finance.

If 'I can't meet the grades for Law but I could for Politics and IR', is your only concern then that probably isnt a good reason for switching.

Don't!!!! I study Politics and would gladly swap to the Law school any day. The Politics school is *really* inconsistent in terms of quality of teaching (and extremely low contact hours).

One term you can be taught by former Oxbridge academics and the next you'll be questioning why you're paying £9000.

The Law school isn't perfect but it's has a hell of a lot more reputation than Politics. If you've already got an offer or a chance of doing Law at Bristol go for it!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by returnmigrant
If 'I can't meet the grades for Law but I could for Politics and IR', is your only concern then that probably isnt a good reason for switching.

Thanks for the reply but that couldn't be further from the truth. Law offer a*ab politics aaa and I am way more likely to get a*ab
Original post by Random_PC_Errors
Don't!!!! I study Politics and would gladly swap to the Law school any day. The Politics school is *really* inconsistent in terms of quality of teaching (and extremely low contact hours).

One term you can be taught by former Oxbridge academics and the next you'll be questioning why you're paying £9000.

The Law school isn't perfect but it's has a hell of a lot more reputation than Politics. If you've already got an offer or a chance of doing Law at Bristol go for it!

Thanks for the response . I feel I would be much more interested in politics though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending