The Student Room Group

Economics

Evaluate the economic arguments for and against immigration to the UK

Can someone help on this question?

I've been trying for ages I need to write 1000 words but I've only wrote like 200/300 and I'm stuck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well, without knowing the marks for this question it's hard to say how to structure it, but how does immigration affect consumers, firms, and the government?

- more demand due to population increase: good for firms and for overall expenditure, but may lead to inflation (AD increases due to consumption increase: arguably could be somewhat offset by increased imports, if immigrants want ingredients etc from their original country which can't be found in UK)
- larger workforce: good for firms (more competition, so larger supply of human capital, which can lead to wages being stagnant - this reduces their costs of production and could lead to either lower prices for consumers or larger profits for firms which they could invest in r&d. or just, like. take home in the form of increased bonuses), less good for consumers/rest of the population: more competition for jobs = lower wages, especially in unskilled work. can also lead to higher unemployment levels, if there aren't enough jobs to go around.

This isn't much, but fully evaluated it should give you hopefully around 5-600 words at least! I hope this was somewhat helpful :-)
Reply 2
thanks for taking your time I appreciate it
Did you do As economic?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AdeptDz
thanks for taking your time I appreciate it
Did you do As economic?

It's no problem! :smile: And yes, I've just finished AS Economics and am starting A2 in September.
Reply 4
How was it? Hard? Work load

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by roarchika
Well, without knowing the marks for this question it's hard to say how to structure it, but how does immigration affect consumers, firms, and the government?

- more demand due to population increase: good for firms and for overall expenditure, but may lead to inflation (AD increases due to consumption increase: arguably could be somewhat offset by increased imports, if immigrants want ingredients etc from their original country which can't be found in UK)
- larger workforce: good for firms (more competition, so larger supply of human capital, which can lead to wages being stagnant - this reduces their costs of production and could lead to either lower prices for consumers or larger profits for firms which they could invest in r&d. or just, like. take home in the form of increased bonuses), less good for consumers/rest of the population: more competition for jobs = lower wages, especially in unskilled work. can also lead to higher unemployment levels, if there aren't enough jobs to go around.

This isn't much, but fully evaluated it should give you hopefully around 5-600 words at least! I hope this was somewhat helpful :-)

I'd agree with this. This person's bascially gave you the bare bones of the assignment. Don't forget the impact on wages (and associated implications) as well as the social costs (although with 1000 words I'm guessing this is an introductory course aimed at covering supply & demand issues - still worth a mention though).
Reply 6
Thanks I gave like 300 words left then onto my computing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Please check out http://alevelprep.com/ as an educational resource for A-level Economics, Biology, Chemistry and Physics!
Original post by AdeptDz
How was it? Hard? Work load

Posted from TSR Mobile

Economics was probably the hardest of my subjects at first (for reference, I did Latin, History, ClassCiv, Critical Thinking, and the EPQ at AS last year), because I was very unused to the style of thinking that it demanded, and to be honest the graphs really threw me. But around February, things just started to 'click' for me - I've been told this isn't uncommon - and now it's about as much effort as the rest of my A2 subjects (Japanese/History/Latin). If you like reading the news and find politics interesting, you'll have a lot of fun with Economics! One of our current long-term projects is a "Brexit-watch", which is soul-destroying in terms of faith in this country, but is also very amusing.

So, in terms of difficulty, if you're able to start thinking analytically and engage with the material, you'll probably be fine. In terms of workload, as long as you keep up with the revision - maybe do some flashcards once a week from September - and you read the news (especially the economics and business section), economics tends to revise itself, to be honest, because it all builds on the same foundation that you learn in your first month. That being said, it's not a low-effort subject at all. However, it's definitely worth it: I can't imagine how I was able to engage in any sort of political debate before I started economics, and having a subject that's so relevant to what's happening around us is really refreshing!
Reply 9
Thanks, great response :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest