The Student Room Group

Doing apprenticeship after A levels and applying for Uni after

I am strongly convinced that I did not make my offer for my uni of choice.

So I thought of taking an apprenticeship as a software developer while retaking some A level exams and applying for Computer Science at a Russell group university for the next year.

Could unis look down on me and not even bother with giving me an offer?
Thanks for reading :smile:
Original post by Watchmen98v2
I am strongly convinced that I did not make my offer for my uni of choice.

So I thought of taking an apprenticeship as a software developer while retaking some A level exams and applying for Computer Science at a Russell group university for the next year.

Could unis look down on me and not even bother with giving me an offer?
Thanks for reading :smile:

Why don't you just get a job for a year instead? Most apprenticeships are more than one year long.

And no, unis will not look down on you for retaking (except perhaps Oxbridge).
Original post by Platopus
Why don't you just get a job for a year instead? Most apprenticeships are more than one year long.

And no, unis will not look down on you for retaking (except perhaps Oxbridge).

A job in the IT field would be cool but I think I lack relevant experiences to be hired. I would try of course but doubtful of the chances.
Original post by Watchmen98v2
A job in the IT field would be cool but I think I lack relevant experiences to be hired. I would try of course but doubtful of the chances.

I'm taking a gap year, too. If you are just looking for a gap year job it won't be anything fancy: probably more something like being a shop assistant or waiter. You can go into the IT field once you have your degree.
I have the same question too.

I feel like the universities won't accept me after a year or that maybe I might just carry on doing a longer apprenticeship and the uni idea will just disappear from my head - my main goal in life is to at least get a degree.

Quick Reply

Latest