The Student Room Group

Calculus

Hi all,

How would I go about answering question 7 part ii?

Thanks
Reply 1
If you have a rectangle with side lengths x x and y y say, then the perimeter, P P is given as 2(x+y) 2(x+y) , and the area is 100 but the area is also given by xy xy so xy=100 xy=100 . Can you think of where to go from there?
Reply 2
You can pose a rectangle of dimensions xx and yy, whose area is xy=100m2x \cdot y = 100 m^2.
It's perimeter is equal to 2(x+y)2 \cdot (x+y).
Hint:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
The only thing I can think of is to differentiate the area and then put it into the perimeter equation ??
Reply 4
Original post by MartyO
You can pose a rectangle of dimensions xx and yy, whose area is xy=100m2x \cdot y = 100 m^2.
It's perimeter is equal to 2(x+y)2 \cdot (x+y).
Hint:

Spoiler

Is x equal to +/- 10?

Ok so I did y=100/x from the area equation. Then I subbed it into the perimeter equation and differentiated and solved for x by putting it equal to zero. I got x=+/- 10 . However, if i sub that x into the area equation I get y also equals 10 which doesnt make sense if its a rectangle :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Olive123
Is x equal to +/- 10?

x>0 since it represents length. So the rectangle is in fact a square. In fact for any rectangle,the rectangle will have greatest perimeter for any given area if and only if it is a square.
Reply 6
Original post by B_9710
x>0 since it represents length. So the rectangle is in fact a square. In fact for any rectangle,the rectangle will have greatest perimeter for any given area if and only if it is a square.

So is my answer wrong ?

How can a rectangle be a square ?
Reply 7
So is my answer wrong ?

How can a rectangle be a square ?

All rectangles are squares, just like all rectangles are parallelograms.
Reply 8
Original post by B_9710

Ahh right (you learn something new everyday :smile: ) thanks haha

so would the dimensions be 10 by 10 then ?
Reply 9

Yes.
Reply 10
Original post by B_9710
Yes.

Thank you sooooooo much :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by B_9710

I think you mean "all squares are rectangles" - I can think of plenty of rectangles that aren't squares! :smile:

As above, a square is just a special case of a rectangle in which all the sides are equal.
Reply 12
Original post by davros
I think you mean "all squares are rectangles" - I can think of plenty of rectangles that aren't squares! :smile:

Of course mate, got my words mixed up.

Quick Reply

Latest