The Student Room Group

Summer 2017 Applications

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LMAX
You should look to apply for internships applies to final year students??

yah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Interesting, CS MD I spoke to said analysts/associates do the screening.

Maybe the recruiting task force is more broad than I thought...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Must vary by bank but for mine, it was because the VP was the staffer so he'd be setting the over-arching workload which would then be explained in more detail by the associate(s) to myself/the analysts and therefore wanted to know what interns he'd be working with.
Looking slightly more into the future...
Do people think hedge funds favour IB guys or traders / can both lead to this?
From what I've read IB possibly ?
Original post by S_12345
Looking slightly more into the future...
Do people think hedge funds favour IB guys or traders / can both lead to this?
From what I've read IB possibly ?

Depends entirely on the hedge fund:

IBD, maybe ER/AM > L/S Equity, merger arb/event driven, value/deep value, growth, distressed debt etc

S&T (desk dependent) > commods, global macro, credit, quant/systemic, stat arb, relative value etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 484
Am i right in thinking most firms who do online tests use Kenexa?

+ How do you best prepare for them - do you buy the packages they offer or can they be torrented or download elsewhere?
Thanks for the reply.
In regards to internships, do you think trading positions will go mainly to maths guys?
I'm doing economics so obvs don't have the same background, although I am good at maths
Original post by S_12345
Thanks for the reply.
In regards to internships, do you think trading positions will go mainly to maths guys?
I'm doing economics so obvs don't have the same background, although I am good at maths

nah, it's down to your ability

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did anyone go on Macquaries Spring insight day? If so can you remember what we did on the first case study?
Want to put it on my cv but not exactly sure what we did
Anyone attending the SEO Academy not from London - recommendations where's fairly cheap to stay?*
Would you mention a university transfer in your CV/elsewhere or nah? (2nd year, same course)
Original post by Broocklyn
Would you mention a university transfer in your CV/elsewhere or nah? (2nd year, same course)

Well yeah, otherwise it would look suspect on your CV.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well yeah, otherwise it would look suspect on your CV.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same thought tbh, but had different opinions on it
Cheers
Reply 492
Anyone know how many positions you can apply for (globally) at JPM? Doesn't say much on the website

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 493
Original post by dasu95
Anyone know how many positions you can apply for (globally) at JPM? Doesn't say much on the website

Posted from TSR Mobile

I read you can only apply to one.

Do you guys think applying before September is worth it if you don't have an "outstanding" CV?

I was planning to wait and apply with the majority of applicants (relative to which the average CV looks better) in September but since many banks are already opening applications I'm unsure of whether it is a good decision.
(edited 7 years ago)
MS doesn't specify a year of study for its summer internships at all - I am a 2nd year in a 4 year course; should I apply?
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
MS doesn't specify a year of study for its summer internships at all - I am a 2nd year in a 4 year course; should I apply?

No, go for the SW

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, go for the SW

Posted from TSR Mobile

Doing that already :smile: , but also they seem to have the SW open but on the careers page it won't appear at all (only 3 off-cycle internships seem to be open to apps) - any idea why?
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
Doing that already :smile: , but also they seem to have the SW open but on the careers page it won't appear at all (only 3 off-cycle internships seem to be open to apps) - any idea why?

Means they're not open yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by katuok
I read you can only apply to one.

Do you guys think applying before September is worth it if you don't have an "outstanding" CV?

I was planning to wait and apply with the majority of applicants (relative to which the average CV looks better) in September but since many banks are already opening applications I'm unsure of whether it is a good decision.

You're going to need an outstanding CV if you want to get places at Spring weeks. They're not going to select average applicants and there are plenty of amazing candidates so you need to present yourself as an amazing candidate. The date that you apply doesn't matter unless the bank views applicants on a rolling basis.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Trapz99
You're going to need an outstanding CV if you want to get places at Spring weeks. They're not going to select average applicants and there are plenty of amazing candidates so you need to present yourself as an amazing candidate. The date that you apply doesn't matter unless the bank views applicants on a rolling basis.

Features of an outstanding CV?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending