The Student Room Group

Liverpool uni for law

Will my prospects be good if i study law at Liverpool?. Would i be able to do corporate law at a big firm?
Reply 1
Original post by asos98
Will my prospects be good if i study law at Liverpool?. Would i be able to do corporate law at a big firm?

No not really that much chance, Liverpool is not respected for Law and has low entry requirements for Law and most subjects in comparison to the rest of the Russell Group.
Reply 2
Original post by ORW
No not really that much chance, Liverpool is not respected for Law and has low entry requirements for Law and most subjects in comparison to the rest of the Russell Group.

Where do you suggest i apply for? I have 4 A* at A level
Reply 3
Original post by asos98

Any of the top RGs like Bristol, Durham, Nottingham, London unis (UCL, KCL, LSE) or Exeter, Warwick, Manchester
Original post by asos98

4 A*s is significantly higher than Liverpool's entry requirements of ABB so it's definitely worth looking at the very best universities - if not Oxbridge, then other Russell Group universities. If you took your A levels in two years rather than three, applying to Cambridge is a good idea, and your other choices could be universities such as Durham, UCL, LSE, Warwick, Bristol etc. etc.

Liverpool doesn't have bad employment prospects by any means - it's still a respected university - but it'll be easier to get a good training contract at a better university, and it would potentially be virtually impossible to secure pupillage (as that's very competitive) if you went to Liverpool.
Reply 5
Original post by doctorwhofan98
4 A*s is significantly higher than Liverpool's entry requirements of ABB so it's definitely worth looking at the very best universities - if not Oxbridge, then other Russell Group universities. If you took your A levels in two years rather than three, applying to Cambridge is a good idea, and your other choices could be universities such as Durham, UCL, LSE, Warwick, Bristol etc. etc.

Liverpool doesn't have bad employment prospects by any means - it's still a respected university - but it'll be easier to get a good training contract at a better university, and it would potentially be virtually impossible to secure pupillage (as that's very competitive) if you went to Liverpool.

Yeah i took my A levels in the allocated two years and i'd love to go Oxbridge but due to the fact my GCSE's are terrible as i skipped most of the exams simply because i ' couldn't be arsed' i don't think they'll consider me. I might give them a call and try my luck though. If not i'll try to pursue a place at Nottingham as i really like the look of it!
(edited 7 years ago)
No offence, but you got 4A*s at A Level and did not even manage some basic googling on whether or not law at Liverpool was highly considered? I'm sorry, but come on.
Reply 7
Original post by andrewdwilliams
No offence, but you got 4A*s at A Level and did not even manage some basic googling on whether or not law at Liverpool was highly considered? I'm sorry, but come on.

Of course i did, but i wanted to hear about how different people perceived what i'm querying about. Anybody can get good A- Level grades if they put their minds to it so i don't get what you're going at anyways
Original post by asos98
Of course i did, but i wanted to hear about how different people perceived what i'm querying about. Anybody can get good A- Level grades if they put their minds to it so i don't get what you're going at anyways

I think my point was an expression of surprise that you achieved so highly without developing basic research skills.
Reply 9
I think my point was an expression of surprise that you achieved so highly without developing basic research skills.

Of course i did some research but i couldn't be bothered to do a large amount so i deceided to ask the tsr community, buzzing with my results tho
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by asos98
Of course i did some research but i couldn't be bothered to do a large amount so i deceided to ask the tsr community, buzzing with my results tho

Yes, congratulations on your results. As I understand it, Liverpool is the bottom of the good universities for law. People still manage to get pupillages after studying at Liverpool, and it is one of several universities rated by the 'Pupillage and How to Get It' blog. If you wanted to work in commercial law at a big firm, it would be difficult to step there from a degree at Liverpool, but not impossible. You would, however, have to excel as a student, and a first would be a necessity. I'm going to apply to Liverpool and in an ideal situation it will be my insurance choice - I visited the university and could see myself on the campus and found the staff of the law department to be engaging and interesting. There are also a number of well developed extra curricular activities in law. In answer to your question of whether your prospects will be 'good' having studied at Liverpool, that wholly depends on how you spend your time there.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Yes, congratulations on your results. As I understand it, Liverpool is the bottom of the good universities for law. People still manage to get pupillages after studying at Liverpool, and it is one of several universities rated by the 'Pupillage and How to Get It' blog. If you wanted to work in commercial law at a big firm, it would be difficult to step there from a degree at Liverpool, but not impossible. You would, however, have to excel as a student, and a first would be a necessity. I'm going to apply to Liverpool and in an ideal situation it will be my insurance choice - I visited the university and could see myself on the campus and found the staff of the law department to be engaging and interesting. There are also a number of well developed extra curricular activities in law. In answer to your question of whether your prospects will be 'good' having studied at Liverpool, that wholly depends on how you spend your time there.

Top man, top answer, thanks.
Original post by ORW

Which one is best out of York, Cardiff and lIverpool for law graduation propspects?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending