The Student Room Group

is a biology/ life sciences degree a waste of time?

Iv recently seen a lot of negativity about biology degrees is it true?
Oh dear, I really like biology is it bad or something?
Not sure about just a Biology BSc, but I've heard that with a BSc in Biology you can do loads of Masters in so many different areas, it's a very versatile degree if you don't know exactly what you want to do, but know you like science.

I've not seen the negativity, what are people saying?
Reply 3
Original post by adesola15
Not sure about just a Biology BSc, but I've heard that with a BSc in Biology you can do loads of Masters in so many different areas, it's a very versatile degree if you don't know exactly what you want to do, but know you like science.

I've not seen the negativity, what are people saying?

I was thinking of doing Biological science - neuroscience as a course in Univeristy
But iv heard that biology careers do not allow you to get a job at the end of it and it is a time wasting degree.
I mean we all want a career at the end of it and I certainly do not want to do apply for a course that will not guarantee me a job
Original post by goal101
I was thinking of doing Biological science - neuroscience as a course in Univeristy
But iv heard that biology careers do not allow you to get a job at the end of it and it is a time wasting degree.
I mean we all want a career at the end of it and I certainly do not want to do apply for a course that will not guarantee me a job

The unemployment doesn't seem to be overly high, but I'd just make sure to get into the best university you can. Like Russel Groups, Loughbourgh, East Anglia, Bath etc.

Obviously lower ranked Universities will have lower unemployment rates, and this pushes the average up.
(edited 7 years ago)
Doing a degree in anything other than Harry Potter Studies is a waste of time
Original post by goal101
Iv recently seen a lot of negativity about biology degrees is it true?

The negativity probably stems from it having a lack of mathematical content. Chemists and physicists leave university very able in maths and allows them to enter the financial sector with more ease than bio graduates. However, that's not to say it's a bad degree, you can still enter the pharmaceutical business, work in research, teaching, industry, NHS etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
The negativity probably stems from it having a lack of mathematical content. Chemists and physicists leave university very able in maths and allows them to enter the financial sector with more ease than bio graduates. However, that's not to say it's a bad degree, you can still enter the pharmaceutical business, work in research, teaching, industry, NHS etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

what jobs can it lead to?
Original post by goal101
what jobs can it lead to?

Genetic engineer, clinical scientist, lecturer, anything business related.

Science degrees often lead you out of science fields. It's likely you would be working in business with a Chem, phys or bio degree.
I'm a Biology student now and the BSc alone isn't very good if you want to get a job in biology (like anything people above have listed). For those jobs you need a Masters or, more likely, a PhD - but to get those you need a BSc to begin with. If you want a general graduate job then it's fine, it's only biology related things that are harder to do with just a BSc :h:
Oh no pls don't say things like this. I start my degree in September in Biological Sciences.
Reply 11
In no way are degrees in Biology/Biochemistry/Life Sciences a waste of time. There's plenty of jobs you can do from research for the NHS, big pharma, to teaching, other grad schemes. There's so much out there, and you learn so many important transferrable skills that make you highly employable so please please don't let anyone put you off!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending