The Student Room Group

Foundation year

so i am currently waiting for my a level results, and am not looking too hopeful haha. I have done a levels in english lit, french and psych.
I have applied for psych, and have accepted uea and portsmouth offers.
However, i dont really want to do this anymore...
I have decided to go into ecology and conservation, but the thing is, i haven't done bio or any sciences that most unis accept...
I have been looking into foundation years as an option into an ecology and conservation course. i have looked on the UEA website, and they do a biological science degree with a foundation year, where you would study 1 year to be able to get onto a bio science course - in my case ecology and conservation.
I need CCC in my a levels, which i think could be achievable.
The issue is, it is another year of uni, which means more money to spend on uni, which means more student debt in the future.
my question is, is it worth it?
Original post by beefreya
so i am currently waiting for my a level results, and am not looking too hopeful haha. I have done a levels in english lit, french and psych.
I have applied for psych, and have accepted uea and portsmouth offers.
However, i dont really want to do this anymore...
I have decided to go into ecology and conservation, but the thing is, i haven't done bio or any sciences that most unis accept...
I have been looking into foundation years as an option into an ecology and conservation course. i have looked on the UEA website, and they do a biological science degree with a foundation year, where you would study 1 year to be able to get onto a bio science course - in my case ecology and conservation.
I need CCC in my a levels, which i think could be achievable.
The issue is, it is another year of uni, which means more money to spend on uni, which means more student debt in the future.
my question is, is it worth it?

Hi @beefreya!

First off, I want to assure you that student debt is nothing like in the US, it is just a small deduction from your salary if you earn enough money. Almost like a tax. And best of it if you don't/can't pay it back it's okay! No one is going to take your house like with a mortgage.
As for Ecology, here at Keele for Ecology and Conservation you don't need a science! Link here->
Worth looking in general as I am sure there are more universities that don't require a science to do such a degree. Clearing would be the right time to start applying for this so make sure you have your universities of choice all sorted in your head.

In terms of the question about if it is worth doing another year of uni, I'd say yes. Studying something you know you won't enjoy can really affect many aspects of your life, and overall feel much more like a waste of time and money than doing an additional year. If you have the doubt in your current degree then I think you have an answer about your choice.
There's also nothing wrong with taking a gap year, I went back to university 4 years after finishing college! Having a clearer idea is much more important than "doing it on time".

Hope this helps,
~Michelle, placement student
In most cases it's cheaper just to take a year out and do the one or two AL subjects that you need. If you're concerned that you might not meet the grade requirements, then you may struggle with it as a subject at undergrad.
Hello,

Ecology and conservation sounds like a really interesting degree.

I did a foundation year at York St John University and while yes it is more student debt my foundation year really helped to introduce me to University study e.g how to write assignments at the expected level, This really helped me with progression I am now just about to go into the 3rd year of my Undergraduate degree studying Education, SEN and Mental Health.

If Ecology and Conservation feels like the best degree for you I would say go for it. Better to take an extra year than pursue a degree you are not going to be happy with

Rebecca YSJ Student Ambassador :smile:
Hi,

I'm a 3rd Ecology and Conservation student at Lancaster and I would say to check specific requirements for each uni because you may not necessarily need Biology or other sciences to be able to access the course. These are the entry requirements for Ecology and Conservation at Lancaster https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/ecology-and-conservation-bsc-hons-c180/#course-entry if you would like to check it out.

Hope this helped and let me know have any other questions!
Good luck!

Carla
Lancaster University Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending