The Student Room Group

Is B to A* possible?

Ok, so i did my AS this year for bio chem and phy. I got A in chem and physics, but a B in bio. I dont know the UMS yet, but is there any chance i can get an A* for my final ALevel grade? You can use imaginary numbers to explain how well i need to do in A2, but i think i got a high B, as im fairly sure I did well.
(edited 7 years ago)
Aren't those A Levels now linear? Meaning that your AS grade will contribute nothing at all to your final A Level grade?
Reply 2
Original post by MersennePrime
Aren't those A Levels now linear? Meaning that your AS grade will contribute nothing at all to your final A Level grade?

Yea, i heard about that going on, but my school hasnt informed us anything about that yet. So I dont think the new system will be applied to us this year.
Original post by Mac2099
Yea, i heard about that going on, but my school hasnt informed us anything about that yet. So I dont think the new system will be applied to us this year.

If you are taking A levels in England, your AS grade in these subjects does not count towards your final A level result.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by gdunne42
If you are taking A levels in England, your AS grade in these subjects does not count towards your final A level result.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not giving it in U.K. I'm doing them from U.A.E.
Original post by Mac2099

Then the changes don't apply to you. I am not an expert on CIE but the rules are different to other A levels. I think that with a B at AS it is not possible to get an A* overall without resits of the AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mac2099

Section 1.2 in the syllabus states that the weightings of AS are carried forward to the your A level grade. According to the percentages stated, it is usually not possible to get an A* from a B. This is in line with the rules applied to CIE examinations in UAE.
Anything is possible if u put the right mindset to it :yep:
If you got a low B and get near full UMS in your A2 bio modules, then you should be able to get an A*
Original post by Mac2099
Ok, so i did my AS this year for bio chem and phy. I got A in chem and physics, but a B in bio. I dont know the UMS yet, but is there any chance i can get an A* for my final ALevel grade? You can use imaginary numbers to explain how well i need to do in A2, but i think i got a high B, as im fairly sure I did well.

A B is 70-80 ums. You'll need above 90ums at a2 to qualify for an a* AND bring your average back to 80

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by shumaila.shakir
Section 1.2 in the syllabus states that the weightings of AS are carried forward to the your A level grade. According to the percentages stated, it is usually not possible to get an A* from a B. This is in line with the rules applied to CIE examinations in UAE.]

I thought so. thanks for the reply
Actually the linear thing only applies to some courses and some exam boards. 2015-2016 was the last year of the normal system for certain courses. If your courses are linear you should be fine :smile:
I'm really sorry but with a B in AS you can't bring it up to an A*! You need an average of 80% (A grade) at AS in order to get an A* at A2 (90%), however if you resit the B I'm sure you could move it up!

Quick Reply

Latest