The Student Room Group

Jumping from an E to an A

So i got my as level results yesterday and they were horrific. An E in chemistry, D's in psychology and biology and an A in english literature. The first three are the worst grades i've ever gotten in a those subjects. My goal since secondary has been to do medicine and obviously these grades do not reflect that.

I will be dropping psychology as bio and chem are heavily required in most universities for medicine and i can't lower my options any further. Starting year 13 in september i want to know how likely it is or if it is even possible for me to get the three A's i need in my A Levels? any hope for me at all????

I've also been required to take an assessment for chemistry on 1st September so that my college can even allow me to do chemistry A Level so i need to ace that also and am currently doing heavy revision for it.

thank you.
Original post by morteamie
So i got my as level results yesterday and they were horrific. An E in chemistry, D's in psychology and biology and an A in english literature. The first three are the worst grades i've ever gotten in a those subjects. My goal since secondary has been to do medicine and obviously these grades do not reflect that.

I will be dropping psychology as bio and chem are heavily required in most universities for medicine and i can't lower my options any further. Starting year 13 in september i want to know how likely it is or if it is even possible for me to get the three A's i need in my A Levels? any hope for me at all????

I've also been required to take an assessment for chemistry on 1st September so that my college can even allow me to do chemistry A Level so i need to ace that also and am currently doing heavy revision for it.

thank you.

I was in a similar situation to you, I would get A/A* in end of units in bio and did badly in my year 12 exam for Bio and got a D. ( although I did get A* in my other 2 subjects in my Year 12 mocks). However I went from a D in Biology in my Year 12 exams to a high B in my final exams. So it is definitely possible for you to improve in a year.

You’re probably thinking that you would want an A. I definitely think this is possible, as my final results (A* History, A* Psychology A* EPQ and B Biology) were with me not putting as much effort into Bio and not being as interested in it as history- my greatest passion, and the choice of my degree, so if you really put that effort in, I think an A is definitely possible.

If you really want to succeed you can. Don’t let your teachers tell you what you can achieve. I went from a D to a B in a year.

Ask yourself, why did you not get the grades you wanted? Was it exam nerves? If so, maybe think about not applying to uni this year and taking a year out, that is what I’m doing, despite getting very good grades in my finals.

If you do want any Biology revision resources I can give you my Quizlet username as I have flashcards for every topic. Hope this helps, and don’t give up.

Quick Reply

Latest