The Student Room Group

Will my GCSE grades prevent me from entering a university to study medicine?‏

Hello people of the Internet,

On the 25th of August I received my GCSE results, they were overall much better than expected with one exception. I received 2 A* grades (English language and English literature), 4 A's (Mathematics, Chemistry, Spanish and History), 2 B's (Biology and Geography) and 2 C's (Physics and Drama). I have been doing a lot of research lately as I have always wanted to become a doctor however I fear that I may have butchered my chances with some of these grades, especially as I go to a private school in London. For A levels I have been accepted to continue in my school and I will be doing Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Politics, with the idea being that I will aim for medicine. I am considering having a resit for the Physics exam as the mark too low by many universities standards, even though some teachers have discouraged this idea (additionally the mark is also too low in the grade boundary for a potential remark). I would appreciate some feedback as recently this has been troubling me. I am sure, as are my teachers that I have the capability of achieving high grades for A level subjects, is it too late? Have I damaged my future beyond repair?
I would especially appreciate advice from a university admission interviewer.

Many thanks,
A student in need.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by redfatcommie

On the 25th of August I received my GCSE results, they were overall much better than expected with one exception. I received 2 A* grades (English language and English literature), 4 A's (Mathematics, Chemistry, Spanish and History), 2 B's (Biology and Geography) and 2 C's (Physics and Drama). I have been doing a lot of research lately as I have always wanted to become a doctor however I fear that I may have butchered my chances with some of these grades, especially as I go to a private school in London. For A levels I have been accepted to continue in my school and I will be doing Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Politics, with the idea being that I will aim for medicine. I am considering having a resit for the Physics exam as the mark too low by many universities standards, even though some teachers have discouraged this idea (additionally the mark is also too low in the grade boundary for a potential remark). I would appreciate some feedback as recently this has been troubling me. I am sure, as are my teachers that I have the capability of achieving high grades for A level subjects, is it too late? Have I damaged my future beyond repair?
I would especially appreciate advice from a member of a university admission interviewer.

Many thanks,
A student in need.

On TSR there is a list of med school GCSE requirements, use the search function to find it
Reply 2

I would especially appreciate advice from a university admission interviewer.

Many thanks,
A student in need.

It depends really. If you go to a university with a heavy GCSE grade requirement then probably not. However if you go to a university which requires AAA at A levels and a good UKCAT score etc.. Then you could still do it. That's what I think personally
(edited 7 years ago)

I would especially appreciate advice from a member of a university admission interviewer.

Many thanks,
A student in need.

Which unis are you looking at? I just ask out of curiosity because I don't remember seeing any asking for a specific grade in GCSE Physics, though I'm aware things change and/or it might be down to your choice of uni.

Either way, I definitely don't see why it should prevent you from getting into medicine - you just need to be savvy about where you apply. For example, I'd avoid Cardiff which is pretty GCSE heavy (we're talking a points based system that favours people with say 7-9 A*), but some other med schools out there literally just check you meet their minimum requirements and then apply a UKCAT/BMAT cutoff when choosing who to interview.

Your GCSEs don't necessarily dictate the grades you'll get at A level, and what really matters in the end when it comes to medicine is nailing that AAA. If you're only just starting sixth form in September, you've got plenty of time to knuckle down and absolutely smash your A levels (and your UKCAT/BMAT when you come to them, but that's not for roughly a year yet). Your teachers might be discouraging you from retaking Physics in case it takes your focus away from your other subjects.

Either way, just make sure you do your research when it comes to choosing unis and you should be alright. You definitely haven't butchered your chances - a lot of med schools aren't as picky about GCSE grades as some people would have you think. Just keep at it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest