The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Course Change/Transfer

Hi all. I am a offer holder for chemistry. In the past few months I have discovered that my interest lies in maths. I would really like to, if possible, change my course to maths. I understand that maths is a lot more competitive degree than Chemistry in Warwick so I probably have a mere chance of transferring. But Has anyone changed their courses before and would like to talk about their experiences with that?

04/09/2016
-I changed my course from chemistry to morse by the end of March
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
I think so long as you meet their minimum entry requirements you should be able to request for a change of course. I've got an offer for Maths and Physics (A*AA) but I too wish to go on the straight maths course and I feel like I'm cheating my way into Warwick maths.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by boruto
I think so long as you meet their minimum entry requirements you should be able to request for a change of course. I've got an offer for Maths and Physics (A*AA) but I too wish to go on the straight maths course and I feel like I'm cheating my way into Warwick maths.

In my opinion you changing to straight maths is quite a reasonable demand as the requirements are quite similar, whereas I want to change from an AAB degree to an A*AA one! If anything I am the more of the one who is trying to cheat my way into Warwick Maths:frown:
Reply 3
Original post by Zechi
In my opinion you changing to straight maths is quite a reasonable demand as the requirements are quite similar, whereas I want to change from an AAB degree to an A*AA one! If anything I am the more of the one who is trying to cheat my way into Warwick Maths:frown:

if there's any maths related bits your personal statement, you might as well give it a shot. Not like their gonna withdraw their chem off just because you asked to transfer.

You've got nothing to lose, so why not?
Original post by Zechi

hey did you ever manage to change course? I happen to be in the same predicament as you
Reply 5
Original post by rugbygirl254
hey did you ever manage to change course? I happen to be in the same predicament as you

Yes eventually I did change my course. However they told me that the maths department was full so I asked them to change to MORSE. Something interesting I noticed was that the grade requirement for Statistics degree like MORSE was slightly lower than a Maths degree, but I think back in October when most people first started getting their MORSE offers they get the same requirement as Maths offer.
No chance, Warwick Maths gets enough people applying, they don't have any room for transfers. When people do transfer away from Warwick Maths, their place isn't normally given to anyone else due to course numbers. So if your "interest lies in maths", withdraw and reapply via UCAS, in which case they have no legal obligation to offer you anything due to withdrawing without studying anything, and hence "just wanting to be at Warwick".

Let me remind you that these grades are required for Warwick Maths: https://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/admissions/ug/offer/

That's A*(M)A*(FM)A+2 in any STEP, or A*(M), A*(FM), A*(any third), or A*(M), A*(FM), A (any third A2), A (any fourth A2)

And additionally remember this is Warwicks official policy on resits after year 13: "However, we're unlikely to make offers to students who need to take resits beyond year 13, unless there are strong mitigating circumstances. In this case you should ask your school to explain these circumstances in their reference."
Reply 7
Original post by Computer Geek
No chance, Warwick Maths gets enough people applying, they don't have any room for transfers. When people do transfer away from Warwick Maths, their place isn't normally given to anyone else due to course numbers. So if your "interest lies in maths", withdraw and reapply via UCAS, in which case they have no legal obligation to offer you anything due to withdrawing without studying anything, and hence "just wanting to be at Warwick".

Let me remind you that these grades are required for Warwick Maths: https://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/admissions/ug/offer/

That's A*(M)A*(FM)A+2 in any STEP, or A*(M), A*(FM), A*(any third), or A*(M), A*(FM), A (any third A2), A (any fourth A2)

And additionally remember this is Warwicks official policy on resits after year 13: "However, we're unlikely to make offers to students who need to take resits beyond year 13, unless there are strong mitigating circumstances. In this case you should ask your school to explain these circumstances in their reference."

This post was made months ago and I made my change to morse, but thank you for your information though.
Original post by Zechi
Yes eventually I did change my course. However they told me that the maths department was full so I asked them to change to MORSE. Something interesting I noticed was that the grade requirement for Statistics degree like MORSE was slightly lower than a Maths degree, but I think back in October when most people first started getting their MORSE offers they get the same requirement as Maths offer.

Thanks for the response. Right, so you weren't too far off the MORSE entry requirements? Or did you meet them? And why did it take you until March?
Reply 9
Original post by rugbygirl254
Thanks for the response. Right, so you weren't too far off the MORSE entry requirements? Or did you meet them? And why did it take you until March?

Yes I met the requirement. I have to say the Warwick admission team works very slowly and inefficiently. Each email I sent to them takes more than 2 weeks for them to respond, and there seems to be no communication between the staffs in the admission office so every time a different staff is working on my request, he/she would disregard anything that had been said in my previous emails which creates a lot of confusion. Afterwards I found out that one of the ladies who responded to some of my first few emails left after Easter...so she must have left some loose ends behind.

However I do have a mate who changed his course from Biochemistry to Biology less than a day after his request...so I guess this also depends on the popularity of the course.
Original post by Zechi
Yes I met the requirement. I have to say the Warwick admission team works very slowly and inefficiently. Each email I sent to them takes more than 2 weeks for them to respond, and there seems to be no communication between the staffs in the admission office so every time a different staff is working on my request, he/she would disregard anything that had been said in my previous emails which creates a lot of confusion. Afterwards I found out that one of the ladies who responded to some of my first few emails left after Easter...so she must have left some loose ends behind.

However I do have a mate who changed his course from Biochemistry to Biology less than a day after his request...so I guess this also depends on the popularity of the course.

Did your friend do it by email? Maybe doing it by phone is quicker? Sucks that they took forever for them to help you, anyway :frown:
Reply 11
Original post by greenmang0
Did your friend do it by email? Maybe doing it by phone is quicker? Sucks that they took forever for them to help you, anyway :frown:

My friend did it through emails. I can't even recall how many times I call them but the lady who picks up the phone would recognise my voice straightaway...she was extremely impatient(which is kind of understandable considering the amount of workloads they have) and almost always paid no attention to what I said.

I think the problem was that the admission office don't handle with the course transfer by themselves(they told me that there is a course selector guy). If you ask them whether the Maths department is still available for entry, by the time they reply to you, which is 3 weeks after, all the places are gone. It would have been so much easier if we could just talk to whoever makes course change happen.

Quick Reply

Latest