The Student Room Group

Help I don't know what to do for Yr 12

I recently have been told I need to retake year 12. I was doing A levels and now will only be able to do BTEC. If I would like to go into teaching, can I take busniess BTEC or do I have to take BTEC Health and Social care?

Thanks in advance
Well what do you want to teach?

I'd recommend going to a different college/school and starting your A-levels again if your current one will only let you do a BTEC.
Reply 2
Original post by macromicro
Well what do you want to teach?

I'd recommend going to a different college/school and starting your A-levels again if your current one will only let you do a BTEC.

In the other schools nearby, 1 does not offer one of my subjects (Philoshophy and ethics), the other school has no spaces for one subject (economics) and the last school, well 2 of my choices clash (sociology and economics) so i'm unable to take both, but can't decide between them nor do i want to do anything else.I haven't decided exactly what i want to teach, but being a teacher or even a teaching assistant (TA in a primary school)
Original post by Unicornm8
In the other schools nearby, 1 does not offer one of my subjects (Philoshophy and ethics), the other school has no spaces for one subject (economics) and the last school, well 2 of my choices clash (sociology and economics) so i'm unable to take both, but can't decide between them nor do i want to do anything else.I haven't decided exactly what i want to teach, but being a teacher or even a teaching assistant (TA in a primary school)

I would not recommend doing a BTEC. They are not very flexible nor well-respected and teaching, particularly in primary schools, is competitive.

In the school that doesn't offer Philosophy - if that's the only subject you'll lose, why don't you just replace it with something else? Or the other school - just drop economics if they have no space and choose something else. In each school you'll only have to change one of your subjects - if you do a BTEC you'll have to change them all.
Reply 4
I would not recommend doing a BTEC. They are not very flexible nor well-respected and teaching, particularly in primary schools, is competitive.

In the school that doesn't offer Philosophy - if that's the only subject you'll lose, why don't you just replace it with something else? Or the other school - just drop economics if they have no space and choose something else. In each school you'll only have to change one of your subjects - if you do a BTEC you'll have to change them all.

I agree with the first bit. However, I wanted to do economics so I could do law or economics at uni. Though that may not be the case anymore, and if i would like to change the subjects, it's things like art media, drama, ict etc and i don't want to study those and would not wanna do something for 2 years which i don't want to do..
I agree with the first bit. However, I wanted to do economics so I could do law or economics at uni. Though that may not be the case anymore, and if i would like to change the subjects, it's things like art media, drama, ict etc and i don't want to study those and would not wanna do something for 2 years which i don't want to do..

At the first school you mentioned, you said only philosophy was unavailable so why can't you do economics there? At the last school you mentioned, why don't you do economics and to avoid the clash replace sociology with law or business or politics or R.E. or maths or something along those lines? And you don't need economics A-level to do economics at university by the way.

If I were you I'd look on their websites and write down exactly what subjects you can take for each one, have a fiddle about with the choices and try to see which school is best suited to your interests. Do you have a deadline soon to enrol at the schools, considering we're in September? My advice is to be flexible for the sake of one A-level rather than do the BTEC. At least you'll enjoy the other two and can can start afresh and knuckle down.
Reply 6
At the first school you mentioned, you said only philosophy was unavailable so why can't you do economics there? At the last school you mentioned, why don't you do economics and to avoid the clash replace sociology with law or business or politics or R.E. or maths or something along those lines? And you don't need economics A-level to do economics at university by the way.

If I were you I'd look on their websites and write down exactly what subjects you can take for each one, have a fiddle about with the choices and try to see which school is best suited to your interests. Do you have a deadline soon to enrol at the schools, considering we're in September? My advice is to be flexible for the sake of one A-level rather than do the BTEC. At least you'll enjoy the other two and can can start afresh and knuckle down.

I can't take maths in any of the schools apart from mine due to high grades which are needed. I am aware about the economics thing with uni but i really enjoy the subject and would like to redo it. The 4 blocks which are given to choose options in are very limited. Across all 4 schools (including mine) they don't have law or politics, they do offer business, but yh. School starts from tomorrow.., I've had all my interviews and seen all the option blocks for subjects, even asked if it were possible to do the subjects mixed around, but it's either a no, or the class is full etc. I don't know,but i don't think it would be a good idea to study a subject i don't want to do or aren't interested in for 2 years, no?
I can't take maths in any of the schools apart from mine due to high grades which are needed. I am aware about the economics thing with uni but i really enjoy the subject and would like to redo it. The 4 blocks which are given to choose options in are very limited. Across all 4 schools (including mine) they don't have law or politics, they do offer business, but yh. School starts from tomorrow.., I've had all my interviews and seen all the option blocks for subjects, even asked if it were possible to do the subjects mixed around, but it's either a no, or the class is full etc. I don't know,but i don't think it would be a good idea to study a subject i don't want to do or aren't interested in for 2 years, no?

I think compromising on A-level subjects is far better than doing a BTEC in one subject that you weren't even going to pick for A-level (i.e. Business or Health). Just take the hit on one of your A-level choices and work hard. If you do end up doing the BTEC, definitely choose the business one if you want to do an economics or law degree. Best of luck.

Quick Reply

Latest