The Student Room Group

I am not an greek

I am just tired of this. I am born in England therefore I am English. My dad is Greek though. I am fair skinned so people always ask were I am from since I have started college . I say England but there always reply no oringally. So i say I am English and my dad is Greek so they say something positive about Greece. I have an white friend who is polish and no one asks were he is from and why because he is white so they assume he is English. HE IS CONSIDERD MORE ENGLISH THAN ME. WHAT!!! Sometimes people will ask me ilabout Greek food . It's just annoying and I feel that non white people are being discriminated against . It's just annoying . Has anyone experienced this ?
Original post by England113
I am just tired of this. I am born in England therefore I am English. My dad is Greek though. I am fair skinned so people always ask were I am from since I have started college . I say England but there always reply no oringally. So i say I am English and my dad is Greek so they say something positive about Greece. I have an white friend who is polish and no one asks were he is from and why because he is white so they assume he is English. HE IS CONSIDERD MORE ENGLISH THAN ME. WHAT!!! Sometimes people will ask me ilabout Greek food . It's just annoying and I feel that non white people are being discriminated against . It's just annoying . Has anyone experienced this ?

No...

Is your name a Greek name? The people are just trying to make conversation, I don't think they do it to be deliberately annoying.
Reply 2
My parents are Chinese but I am born in England.

I must be English and not Chinese then
Reply 3
Original post by homeland.lsw
No...

Is your name a Greek name? The people are just trying to make conversation, I don't think they do it to be deliberately annoying.

My name is Charles
Reply 4
Original post by UWS
My parents are Chinese but I am born in England.

I must be English and not Chinese then

You are english
So you're half Greek which means you probably look a bit different to the average white Brit(I don't mean that in a derogatory way).

I'd hardly call it discrimination if they say positive things about Greece. :smile:
My name is Charles

Ok, not to seem nit picky, but if your father is Greek then it's a possibility you have a greek surname, no?

And anyway, like I said, they're probably making conversation. And you maybe english by birth and nationality, but surely you have greek heritage :smile:
I'd consider you English if you considered yourself English. But I really want to know if you have one of those fantastic Greek surnames.
you're not english either with that grammar
Original post by CherryPoppins
You're not English either with that grammar.

:lol:
Reply 10
Original post by JamesN88
So you're half Greek which means you probably look a bit different to the average white Brit(I don't mean that in a derogatory way).

I'd hardly call it discrimination if they say positive things about Greece. :smile:

I don't have dual nationalyy. I am not ashamed of my background but I am english
Reply 11
Original post by Quantex
I'd consider you English if you considered yourself English. But I really want to know if you have one of those fantastic Greek surnames.

My surname is willams
I don't have dual nationalyy. I am not ashamed of my background but I am english

Original post by Quantex
I'd consider you English if you considered yourself English.

This.

I have a similar situation my mums parents are both Irish immigrants but my mum was born and lived here in England and therefore considers herself English but I think she's 100% as all of her ansestors are from there (she has no English blood) and my dad is completely English so I consider myself just as Irish as I am English but lots of people disagree with me. My reasoning is 1/2 of my DNA is Irish and 1/2 is English so I am therefore 1/2 and 1/2 however, many people say if you're born in France for example you are French even if you have no connection to the country and never live there which to me seems stupid. My friend is 1/2 English and 1/2 Irish like me but when her mum was 9 months pregnant they were in Australia so she was born there but has no connection what so ever to the country so it seems silly for her to call herself Australian just because she was born there. Personally I'd say you're 1/2 Greek and 1/2 English but to be honest it doesn't really matter where ur from

Hopefully this helps
Reply 14
Original post by homeland.lsw
Ok, not to seem nit picky, but if your father is Greek then it's a possibility you have a greek surname, no?

And anyway, like I said, they're probably making conversation. And you maybe english by birth and nationality, but surely you have greek heritage :smile:

I dont have a Greek surname

Quick Reply

Latest