The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

SOAS applicants 2017!

Hi guys! Just wanted to see if there's anyone else out there :smile:
I'm only applying to SOAS as it's the only uni I want to go to, I'm applying for Korean ^^ at the moment I'm doing French, Spanish, and Biology!
Let me know what you guys are applying for, if you're applying anywhere else, what you're studying etc and hopefully we can get to know each other a bit =)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Gigi26SMILE
Hi guys! Just wanted to see if there's anyone else out there :smile:
I'm only applying to SOAS as it's the only uni I want to go to, I'm applying for Korean ^^ at the moment I'm doing French, Spanish, and Biology!
Let me know what you guys are applying for, if you're applying anywhere else, what you're studying etc and hopefully we can get to know each other a bit =)

Hello!

I am also looking to apply to SOAS - alongside Leeds, Sheffield and Manchester but SOAS is definitely my top choice!

I'm applying for Chinese and Korean at SOAS and just Chinese at the others, I'm currently studying Classics, German and History.

If we both get in, I'll see you in the Korean classes, haha :smile:
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Reply 2
Hi I have already sent my application to SOAS, I have applied for BA Korean (Year 2). :smile:
Good luck to all of us.
화이팅!
Hi there! I'm applying for Japanese at SOAS, along with Cambridge, Edinburgh, Sheffield and Durham.. Nice to meet you all :smile:
I really want to go there to study economics, I do worry about not meeting the grade requirement :frown: i feel like I'll miss it by a grade
Reply 5
Hey, I've applied for International Relations along with Manchester, St Andrews, Kings College London, and Oxford (for PPE).
Has anyone received replies/offers yet?
Original post by ikajiwara
Hey, I've applied for International Relations along with Manchester, St Andrews, Kings College London, and Oxford (for PPE).
Has anyone received replies/offers yet?

I've had acknowledgement but no offer! Fingers crossed :redface:
Reply 7
Hi... i am applying for SOAS too for Social Anthropology with Korean ...
But I am also applying for Sheffield and UCLAN for just Korean studies
Reply 8
Original post by RFK1711
Hello!

I am also looking to apply to SOAS - alongside Leeds, Sheffield and Manchester but SOAS is definitely my top choice!

I'm applying for Chinese and Korean at SOAS and just Chinese at the others, I'm currently studying Classics, German and History.

If we both get in, I'll see you in the Korean classes, haha :smile:

Omd! You have applied to 4 of the unis I've applied to. I applied for Chinese and Korean at SOAS as well, have you gone to visit it yet? I applied for Asia Pacific studies and Chinese at Leeds and Korean studies at Sheffield. At the moment my main option is actually Leeds. :smile:
Reply 9
I've applied to BA Law and Social Anthropology but haven't received an acknowledgement email! I've also applied to LSE and Kent.
I'm on a gap year and have a place at Royal Holloway but during this gap year I've actually taken an interest in the Korean language and culture. I want to work there (hopefully.) But obviously it would be slightly difficult if I can't speak the language fluently. So now, I kind of want to go through UCAS again and apply to SOAS so I can study BA English alongside Korean.

But the thing is its really risky if I do that since I got BBE last year and the grade entries are like AAA-ABB.

I could lose my place at my other Uni and not get into SOAS at all. I don't know what to do :'((
Original post by Steliata
I've had acknowledgement but no offer! Fingers crossed :redface:

How long did it take for you to receive your acknowledgement?? It's been 3 weeks and I haven't had anything!!
Sent off my UCAS yesterday :biggrin: it's only been a day and already the tension is killing me :wink: everyone, be sure to let us know when you get your offers :biggrin:
Original post by avidreader12
I'm on a gap year and have a place at Royal Holloway but during this gap year I've actually taken an interest in the Korean language and culture. I want to work there (hopefully.) But obviously it would be slightly difficult if I can't speak the language fluently. So now, I kind of want to go through UCAS again and apply to SOAS so I can study BA English alongside Korean.

But the thing is its really risky if I do that since I got BBE last year and the grade entries are like AAA-ABB.

I could lose my place at my other Uni and not get into SOAS at all. I don't know what to do :'((

Maybe you should get in touch with SOAS and ask them what your chances are and if it's worth applying, they might make you a reduced offer depending on your personal statement, what you did in your gap year etc...

Best of luck :biggrin:
Just received my offer for development studies!
I'm gonna apply to study Chinese and Int.Rel. at Soas. I would love to get in, but I'm torn between SOAS and Durham... Both seem amazing! Also, does anyoe know about a SOAS freshers' group on FB? :smile:
Original post by Annie881
I'm gonna apply to study Chinese and Int.Rel. at Soas. I would love to get in, but I'm torn between SOAS and Durham... Both seem amazing! Also, does anyoe know about a SOAS freshers' group on FB? :smile:

I studied at Durham for the whole of first year so message me if you want to discuss it! (Different course tho)
Reply 17
Original post by sdpjohnson
Just received my offer for development studies!

Congrats! When did you send your application off?
Reply 18
Hey ! I have just received an offer from SOAS to study history. My other choices are Nottingham, Kings, UCL and Cambridge
Reply 19
I applied for BA Japanese alongside Leeds, Durham, Manchester and Oxford Brookes. Even though SOAS is my first choice, I believe Leeds is amazing as well. I am stuck in between them :facepalm:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending