The Student Room Group

Cambridge College

I want to study maths at either Clare, Trinity, Emmanuel or Pembroke, but can't decide which. Any advice?
For me, tutors, food and accommodation ( in particular en suite) are most important, so which would be better?
Original post by theamazingone
I want to study maths at either Clare, Trinity, Emmanuel or Pembroke, but can't decide which. Any advice?
For me, tutors, food and accommodation ( in particular en suite) are most important, so which would be better?

No college at Cambridge guarantee en-suite room for duration of your course because they don't have enough, to start with, and for the second year onwards you enter housing ballot, so it'd depend on your luck. (Unless you get a first, in which case most colleges give students with a first give priority in housing ballot for the following academic year)

If en suite is very important, better chance with modern colleges or some old colleges that have modern accommodation out of the main site.
Check out applytocambridge.com - it's the alternative prospectus written by students, with pages for each college including info on what student opinions on food and accomm are like :smile:
Does anyone know what the maths tutors are like for each college?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4

At Trinity, I've managed to have a ensuite for every year of my course (going into third year, and will be able to get one in 4th year, too). But it will depend on luck if you can get one in 2nd year.

In first year, they allocate you a room, but they send you a form asking for your preferences, so if you write on that that you'd like an ensuite, they'll most probably give you one. Most the ensuites for first year are in the Wolfson building, which has nice, spacious modern rooms (though in a concrete block).

In second year, it will depend where you are in the ballot if there are still ensuites left to pick when it's your turn. If you're in the upper half of the 2nd year ballot, there will probably be ensuites left on the town side of the river. For some time further than that there will be ensuites left in Burrells. If you're at the bottom of the ballot there won't be any ensuites left.

In third year, there will definitely be ensuites left on the ballot. You'll have a really good choice of rooms if you got a first in first year (this year I've got a room with two floors, and ensuite and it's own gyp...).

In fourth year, you'll be top of the ballot if you got a first in 2nd year, and can definitely pick an ensuite, otherwise you'll be at the very bottom of the ballot (below 2nd years). But I assume doing maths you might not be doing a 4th year unless you'd been getting firsts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Claree
At Trinity, I've managed to have a ensuite for every year of my course (going into third year, and will be able to get one in 4th year, too). But it will depend on luck if you can get one in 2nd year.

In first year, they allocate you a room, but they send you a form asking for your preferences, so if you write on that that you'd like an ensuite, they'll most probably give you one. Most the ensuites for first year are in the Wolfson building, which has nice, spacious modern rooms (though in a concrete block).

In second year, it will depend where you are in the ballot if there are still ensuites left to pick when it's your turn. If you're in the upper half of the 2nd year ballot, there will probably be ensuites left on the town side of the river. For some time further than that there will be ensuites left in Burrells. If you're at the bottom of the ballot there won't be any ensuites left.

In third year, there will definitely be ensuites left on the ballot. You'll have a really good choice of rooms if you got a first in first year (this year I've got a room with two floors, and ensuite and it's own gyp...).

In fourth year, you'll be top of the ballot if you got a first in 2nd year, and can definitely pick an ensuite, otherwise you'll be at the very bottom of the ballot (below 2nd years). But I assume doing maths you might not be doing a 4th year unless you'd been getting firsts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you for your reply.

I was wondering if you know any of the maths students at trinity. of course, trinity has a reputation for maths-are most of the maths students there 'geniuses?'
Reply 6
thank you for your reply.

I was wondering if you know any of the maths students at trinity. of course, trinity has a reputation for maths-are most of the maths students there 'geniuses?'

Yes, I know many trinmos! A lot of the top mathmos are at Trinity. Higher proportions of mathmos at Trinity get firsts than at the other colleges, though not all get firsts!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pembroke doesn't have any ensuites iirc

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Original post by TH3-FL45H
Pembroke doesn't have any ensuites iirc

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

really? I thought all colleges had ensuites!!!!!
why is it soo popular?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending