The Student Room Group

Accredited biomedical science?

What is accredited biomedicine and what are the benefits and limitation of this course?

I know a brief outline of it but I'm not sure.
(edited 7 years ago)
Accreditation is needed if you'd like to work as a biomed scientist in the NHS but I think the degree doesn't necessarily have to be called a biomed degree. It just needs to be IBMS accredited. If this is not your intention then you need not worry about accreditation.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Ohh okay, can you still work in the NHS without accreditation?
I would like to work in a lab but also want to do something like marketing in medicine..

Thank you for your reply
Original post by alleycat393
Accreditation is needed if you'd like to work as a biomed scientist in the NHS though I understand that there are other routes into this as well. If this is not your intention then you need not worry about accreditation.

There are no current routes into the NHS as a Biomedical Scientist that do not involve an IBMS accredited undergraduate degree. It is an absolute must since IBMS accreditation is a requirement of the HCPC registration which is what allows a person to use the title of Biomedical Scientist and act as one in the NHS.
Original post by TraineeBMS
There are no current routes into the NHS as a Biomedical Scientist that do not involve an IBMS accredited undergraduate degree. It is an absolute must since IBMS accreditation is a requirement of the HCPC registration which is what allows a person to use the title of Biomedical Scientist and act as one in the NHS.

Hang on. You've spent all this time advocating a healthcare science degree as a route into biomed science and now are saying there are no other routes apart from an accredited biomed degree? Make up your mind!
Original post by neemra
Ohh okay, can you still work in the NHS without accreditation?
I would like to work in a lab but also want to do something like marketing in medicine..

Thank you for your reply

That's not what I said. Please read my post carefully.
Hang on. You've spent all this time advocating a healthcare science degree as a route into biomed science and now are saying there are no other routes apart from an accredited biomed degree? Make up your mind!

Healthcare Science is IBMS accredited.
Healthcare Science is IBMS accredited.

I'm aware of that. Hence an accredited healthcare science degree is an alternative to an accredited biomed degree. As I said before accreditation is needed so why are we arguing?
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm aware of that. Hence an accredited healthcare science degree is an alternative to an accredited biomed degree. As I said before accreditation is needed so why are we arguing?

I don't know, why don't you ask whoever it is you're arguing with because I don't know what you're talking about.

I initially said accreditation is a must, I didn't say a course. The HCPC require an IBMS accredited degree, it does not matter which, they hold them all to the same respect. The only difference is that via the HCS route you're doing 4 years worth of work in 3 years which, despite the clear increase in workload, is more beneficial if NHS is where you want to be.
I don't know, why don't you ask whoever it is you're arguing with because I don't know what you're talking about.

I initially said accreditation is a must, I didn't say a course. The HCPC require an IBMS accredited degree, it does not matter which, they hold them all to the same respect. The only difference is that via the HCS route you're doing 4 years worth of work in 3 years which, despite the clear increase in workload, is more beneficial if NHS is where you want to be.

I think you may want to quote the OP when giving advice rather than quoting me and going round in circles. I haven't asked for advice the OP has. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending