The Student Room Group

What are my chances of getting into Oxbridge medicine with 7A* 3A 2B

Hello everyone :smile:
I'm currently in Year 12, and I take A level Biology, Chemistry, Maths and German, and AS Further Maths and Chinese. I have already been reading admissions statistics regarding proportions of A*s etc but I would simply like to know whether I will at all be shortlisted for interview at either Oxford or Cambridge (depending on which uni I settle for). I want to find out if there is anyone out there who has gotten scores like mine, but has managed to "make up" with a good BMAT score and/or personal statement.
On the other hand, I am also considering Imperial, as well as the other London colleges such as Queen Mary, so feel free to post advice about them, too.
Finally, I want to make clear that I am going into medicine because it is my passion, and has been my lifelong fascination. I have met many who say that they want to go into medicine for prestige, or financial gain, and it really peeves me that they secure university places, while more genuine students sometimes don't. Sorry, that's just me ranting a bit :smile:
I look forward to all your responses!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jsphn2564
I'm currently in Year 12, and I take A level Biology, Chemistry, Maths and German, and AS Further Maths and Chinese. I have already been reading admissions statistics regarding proportions of A*s etc but I would simply like to know whether I will at all be shortlisted for interview at either Oxford or Cambridge (depending on which uni I settle for). I want to find out if there is anyone out there who has gotten scores like mine, but has managed to "make up" with a good BMAT score and/or personal statement.
On the other hand, I am also considering Imperial, as well as the other London colleges such as Queen Mary, so feel free to post advice about them, too.
Finally, I want to make clear that I am going into medicine because it is my passion, and has been my lifelong fascination. I have met many who say that they want to go into medicine for prestige, or financial gain, and it really peeves me that they secure university places, while more genuine students sometimes don't. Sorry, that's just me ranting a bit :smile:

Unfortunately, because of the emphasis Oxford seems to place on GCSEs, your chance of getting shortlisted or getting an offer at Oxford is very low (see here) so I would strongly advise against applying to Oxford. Cambridge however should still be possible depending on other exam results.
Yeah, Cambridge would probably be a better choice than Oxford.
Original post by jsphn2564

What the person above said, plus, if you manage to get high A grades in AS exams, Cambridge would be a good choice. however, if you don't, I wouldn't recommend either.
Reply 4
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
What the person above said, plus, if you manage to get high A grades in AS exams, Cambridge would be a good choice. however, if you don't, I wouldn't recommend either.

The educational reform means that all exams are sat at the end of two years, so I guess Cambridge would rely on my predictions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending