The Student Room Group

Tutorials/seminars?

What actually happens in tutorial/seminars?

Like what does the tutor talk about what do the students do .. Stuff like that

Thank you :smile:
Original post by melanies321

Pretty much like a normal class you'd have in A-Levels or GCSEs, etc. From my ongoing experience, there are sometimes set questions that you must answer and the seminar tutor goes over it, readings that they discuss and so on. Also a recurring theme in my seminars is individual/group presentations and general group discussions.

Hello,

From my experience at my university, and these can be different depending on where you go, but seminars are the lectures where you actually learn various areas and topics of your modules and then tutorials are where you have a small group or one to one meetings with your lecturers and discuss assignments and other areas etc.

Good luck!
Original post by JustGeorgeJ
Hello,

From my experience at my university, and these can be different depending on where you go, but seminars are the lectures where you actually learn various areas and topics of your modules and then tutorials are where you have a small group or one to one meetings with your lecturers and discuss assignments and other areas etc.

Good luck!

Is tutorials a place to get to know people also?

Yes they are great. Its not a social, but you just work in smaller groups to doscuss in more detail the subjects already covered in the lectures.

Not usually, not in my experience. Tutorials can be 1 to 1's with your lecturer or as a class talking through assignments and stuff. It depends on the university!
Original post by JustGeorgeJ
Not usually, not in my experience. Tutorials can be 1 to 1's with your lecturer or as a class talking through assignments and stuff. It depends on the university!

Is your tutorial 1-1 that's better I think so more attention on you 🤔 But I think majority it's a class of 10 people
At my uni seminars are small groups where you discuss the topics from the lectures and reading for that week and are usually 12 to 14 people. Tutorials are 1-1 meetings with the tutor to discuss an assignment after marking to get feedback and explore the question further

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending