The Student Room Group

Private School or nah?

I am looking to going to a private school. I am currently in year 12 but i really don't like my school, i feel like if i go to a private school i will do better.

Private Schools
WarMinister
Eton

Scroll to see replies

I don't know of many schools, private or otherwise, that will accept pupils this late into the academic year - even later as you've haven't actually arranged it yet. So you would likely either have to enter in year 13 (unlikely as will likely have different exam boards) or restart year 12 again next year. regardless of liking your sixth form if you put the effort in and are capable you will achieve good grades.
Original post by VMD100
I don't know of many schools, private or otherwise, that will accept pupils this late into the academic year - even later as you've haven't actually arranged it yet. So you would likely either have to enter in year 13 (unlikely as will likely have different exam boards) or restart year 12 again next year. regardless of liking your sixth form if you put the effort in and are capable you will achieve good grades.

I am currently doing,
Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Chem
Art

I am expecting A's in all but i feel like i need to go to a private school. I just dont fit in my college.
I suppose you could contact them and see if you could transfer for Y13 but I highly doubt it would be possible.
Original post by K.H.A.N™
I am looking to going to a private school. I am currently in year 12 but i really don't like my school, i feel like if i go to a private school i will do better.

Private Schools
WarMinister
Eton

Firstly "really don't like my school" is a little vague, you have to bit a more specific; what about the school are you not fond of? The support you receive from teachers/staff? Academic teaching not up to your standards? Pastoral care not as efficient as it should be? Uncomfortable environment you're in which you want to change? You're in a competitive school which you don't enjoy or you want to be in competitive environment to challenge yourself? What makes you unhappy?

Also, from experience, private school in a nutshell is the literally almost the same education as any other school (i.e. - the way they teach you isn't starkly different from other schools), with the added benefits such as really good facilities (in sports, music, library, medical help etc.), good pastoral care, some famous and well known guest speakers coming in for talks on certain subjects or raising awareness of things which all make it slightly different from other schooling experiences.
You may also find that from a student's point of view, the school teaches you to give and receive the a good level of respect from teachers and students alike. Politeness and gratitude is considered something important to private schools.. or may have just been my experience..

Private school doesn't necessarily mean you'll do better because it totally depends on your effort but also the teacher's input on the subject (some teachers can be really lousy which was so annoying), but such schooling helps you to be a better person in terms of presentation (school takes pride in the uniform or smart clothing you wear), mannerisms, and engaging in extra curricular and/or using an array of facilities which the school gives you.
And if you're one who's really into doing activities for looking good in the grand scheme of things, certainly saying you attended a private school is valuable to employers or future universities you may apply to, that's not to say they don't value other schooling (e.g. - grammar or state), because sure they do, there's loads of kids excelling in a million different subjects at different schools and getting into amazing universities and starting careers in superb companies but the point being that private schools give you an advantage that's for certain.

Private Schools
WarMinister
Eton

Have you talked to your parents? I assume you can afford the fees?
Yes I think your chances would be improved.
Notwithstanding difficulties about transfers and syllabus.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lovinlife2
Firstly "really don't like my school" is a little vague, you have to bit a more specific; what about the school are you not fond of? The support you receive from teachers/staff? Academic teaching not up to your standards? Pastoral care not as efficient as it should be? Uncomfortable environment you're in which you want to change? You're in a competitive school which you don't enjoy or you want to be in competitive environment to challenge yourself? What makes you unhappy?

I just dont like my school, The clothing is too informal. I am completely different from my friends because they call me posh and rich ect and yes my parents are rich and i am kindoff 'posh' but i just dont like it. I want to go to a private school to feel more like 'home' also WarMinister is a boarding school, which seems cool.
Original post by 999tigger
Have you talked to your parents? I assume you can afford the fees?
Yes I think your chances would be improved.
Notwithstanding difficulties about transfers and syllabus.

Yeah my parents can afford the fees.
Yeah my parents can afford the fees.

Then talk to them, although you dont say why you dont enjoy your existing school and you have the syllabus/ transfer issue. If you can afford it then go to the best school possible so you have every advantage of getting better grades.
Original post by 999tigger
x

I just dont like my school, The clothing is too informal. I am completely different from my friends because they call me posh and rich ect and yes my parents are rich and i am kindoff 'posh' but i just dont like it. I want to go to a private school to feel more like 'home' also WarMinister is a boarding school, which seems cool.

You are almost done with high school why would u want private school

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nerdling_CompSci

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope. I am in my first year in college
Original post by nerdling_CompSci

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cant see the problem. he wants to change, money isnt an issue, so he should go. Oy might change his A to A*, he might make friends and he might enjoy it more.
Original post by S1939
Nah
I say just laugh along with your friends. I hope it's nothing too serious.

Its not serious, I just dont like it lol i feel like private schooling would be great. My current school isnt that bad, i just dont like it. I want to go Oxford and if i went to a private school they have connections, id be a great experience.
Reply 14
Its not serious, I just dont like it lol i feel like private schooling would be great. My current school isnt that bad, i just dont like it. I want to go Oxford and if i went to a private school they have connections, id be a great experience.

What do you mean? It's not like the headteacher of Eton is going to call the Oxford admission dep on your behalf??
If that's the case. Fair enough lol
Original post by S1939
What do you mean? It's not like the headteacher of Eton is going to call the Oxford admission dep on your behalf??
If that's the case. Fair enough lol

My father and his brother (my uncle) went to Eton and they got into Oxford and my mum went to another Private school (closed now i think) and she went Cambridge... Everyone i know who has went to an academic private school has ended up in the top universities.
My father and his brother (my uncle) went to Eton and they got into Oxford and my mum went to another Private school (closed now i think) and she went Cambridge... Everyone i know who has went to an academic private school has ended up in the top universities.

I know people at private schools who have missed out on top universities and people at state schools who have gained admission to top universities. It really depends on the person, not the school.
Original post by Edminzodo
I know people at private schools who have missed out on top universities and people at state schools who have gained admission to top universities. It really depends on the person, not the school.

maybe.

My GCSE Grades: I got 10 A*s and 1C
My Predicted As: AAAAB
Original post by S1939
Fair enough.
Wouldn't competition be stiffer though at private schools?

How many people from your school got an offer from Oxford?

My sixth form is new.. but my sister went to a grammar school and ended up with A*A*A*AA and didn't get into oxford.

In my sixth form i am doing extremely good (extra curricular activities- ect Head Boy - Prefect many more)
Reply 19
My sixth form is new.. but my sister went to a grammar school and ended up with A*A*A*AA and didn't get into oxford.

In my sixth form i am doing extremely good (extra curricular activities- ect Head Boy - Prefect many more)

What subject do you want to study?

Quick Reply

Latest