The Student Room Group

How hard is a level maths

How hard is a level maths?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
C1 S1 seem basic so far just stuff we learnt in GCSE and a few extra, im guessing C2 will be a bit harder, but yeh C1 and S1 you shouldn't find too hard given you work at it. And if you hve good algebra skills you will find AS-Level maths not so difficult i guess, don't quote me on this but a lot of C1 is algebra and im guessing C2 is the same. I think it gets hard in year 13
Can't say much yet since I'm in Year 12, but like the person above, I am finding C1 and S1 to be very nice and so the transition from GCSE to A Level is fairly smooth. Obviously it will get harder but there isn't a huge gap unlike other subjects.
I'm starting C2 tomorrow so I'll let you know if that gets immediately harder :tongue:
Reply 3
Original post by Matilda612
How hard is a level maths?

As hard as you want it to be...
Enough practise, and it's fine (just like with any subject)
Original post by surina16
Can't say much yet since I'm in Year 12, but like the person above, I am finding C1 and S1 to be very nice and so the transition from GCSE to A Level is fairly smooth. Obviously it will get harder but there isn't a huge gap unlike other subjects.
I'm starting C2 tomorrow so I'll let you know if that gets immediately harder :tongue:

Has you're school already finished C1 and S1?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DamnDaniel2
Has you're school already finished C1 and S1?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've finished C1 and am about 3/4 (maybe more) through S1. The reason why I am going at a faster pace though is because I'm doing FM so we need to get the normal maths modules 'out of the way' :smile:
I've finished C1 and am about 3/4 (maybe more) through S1. The reason why I am going at a faster pace though is because I'm doing FM so we need to get the normal maths modules 'out of the way' :smile:

Oh ok I do further maths as well :smile: although in my school we have 1 teacher for maths and 2 teachers for further maths.

One of the maths teachers are teaching C1 whereas the other one is teaching S1 and one of the further maths teachers are teaching D1 and so we'll get all these modules done by November so that we can go onto C2, M1 and FP1 lol :smile: however I'm self teaching so I have finished D1 and C1 and nearly finished with S1 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by AdeptDz
C1 S1 seem basic so far just stuff we learnt in GCSE and a few extra, im guessing C2 will be a bit harder, but yeh C1 and S1 you shouldn't find too hard given you work at it. And if you hve good algebra skills you will find AS-Level maths not so difficult i guess, don't quote me on this but a lot of C1 is algebra and im guessing C2 is the same. I think it gets hard in year 13

I'd say the step up from GCSE to Year 12 was bigger than the step up from Year 12 to Year 13 maths. But I did m1 and m2 last year which were the ones that I found the hardest. C1 and c2 is easy
Reply 8
Original post by Trapz99
I'd say the step up from GCSE to Year 12 was bigger than the step up from Year 12 to Year 13 maths. But I did m1 and m2 last year which were the ones that I found the hardest. C1 and c2 is easy

I find M1 the most interesting but it does require you to think a bit more than C1 and S1. I find S1 so boring. How did you find Fp1?
Reply 9

Already on C2? My class is taking ages
Original post by AdeptDz
Already on C2? My class is taking ages

Same! They plan on doing C1 up until November/December and C2 from December to when our exams start which is sooo long!

That's why I am doing it myself which is good because I've finished C1 now ahaha and going to try and finish all the modules by November :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Its alright tbh:smile:
Same! They plan on doing C1 up until November/December and C2 from December to when our exams start which is sooo long!

That's why I am doing it myself which is good because I've finished C1 now ahaha and going to try and finish all the modules by November :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck, i went through fp1 and m1 quick though, i may do C1 and C2 myself aswell

Posted from TSR Mobile

What about your applied module?
My class is still on C1 as well. So long
well i'm doing 6 units this year and so far c1 is okay
Reply 15
AS isn't much of a step up from GCSE but A2 is much harder than AS imo
Original post by AdeptDz
I find M1 the most interesting but it does require you to think a bit more than C1 and S1. I find S1 so boring. How did you find Fp1?

Haven't done it yet
Original post by Trapz99
Haven't done it yet

Cool
Bump
I dunno, I haven't done it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest