The Student Room Group

Depression at University

I have recently started a postgraduate degree and have moved away to do so. I'm really enjoying the degree but due to not having any funding I have taken up a job to pay for fees and living (bank loans are not an option for me). However, something thats getting in the way is my sinister depression/anxiety hybrid. I have even stopped turning up to work because of it and it is disabling me from living my life.

I'm really anxious about going to a doctor because of this. The on-campus doctors are known to be quite unsympathetic and harsh on mental illness. I just don't know what to do.

I have been taking St John's wort tablets in attempt to take the edge off but no suffice. Also, would seeing a gp mean I have an 'official' mental illness, meaning it's something jobs may take into account? I've never thought/worried about this before but after reading threads on here it's something a lot of people have mentioned.
Definitely go to your GP! Don't get put off by what you think future employers might think. Mental illness is covered under the Equality Act and this means you can't be discriminated against because of a disability.
Also just because you seek support about mental health issues doesn't mean you have an 'official' illness so I wouldn't worry about that either. They might diagnose you, but at the end of the day the most important thing is that you get some support, whether that be medication or talking therapy.
Having been treated by many psychiatrists, I would suggest that you stop taking the St John's Wort gradually as if the GP wants to start you on medication you wont be able to take it at the same time.
I really hope you feel better soon :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by s1s9s9s5
I have recently started a postgraduate degree and have moved away to do so. I'm really enjoying the degree but due to not having any funding I have taken up a job to pay for fees and living (bank loans are not an option for me). However, something thats getting in the way is my sinister depression/anxiety hybrid. I have even stopped turning up to work because of it and it is disabling me from living my life.

I'm really anxious about going to a doctor because of this. The on-campus doctors are known to be quite unsympathetic and harsh on mental illness. I just don't know what to do.

I have been taking St John's wort tablets in attempt to take the edge off but no suffice. Also, would seeing a gp mean I have an 'official' mental illness, meaning it's something jobs may take into account? I've never thought/worried about this before but after reading threads on here it's something a lot of people have mentioned.

As far as I'm aware you don't have to state an mental health issues if you don't want to, especially if you are just discovering and learning about it yourself

My little sister is very much in the same position as you - at uni with anxiety/depression

She made a video on her YouTube channel recently called 'depression @ uni' - she's struggling quite a bit and it's very relatable, hopefully it will help you feel less alone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lcwc8PLNto&t=15s

Sending you lots of positive thoughts xoxo

Quick Reply

Latest