The Student Room Group

Which A level is harder physics or further maths?

Question above^ Also what a level do you think is the hardest?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous1502
Question above^ Also what a level do you think is the hardest?

Physics, if you gel with maths then it's 'easy' most of the time at A-level. Physics can be much more of a challenge and they can throw you into quite unknown areas (with a-levels in general there are a lot of 'unseen' problems but I think Physics takes it much further than maths does, where you can train yourself enough to be able to tackle unseen problems. Plus, I found practicals in science in general (having taken Physics/Chem at A-level) though I understand that has changed now.

Physics is just crazy and can really exhaust you - I remember the first few weeks, after 4 straight hours of Physics everyone would leave the class with blown minds, and understanding some quite abstract things can be quite difficult.
Original post by SeanFM
Physics, if you gel with maths then it's 'easy' most of the time at A-level. Physics can be much more of a challenge and they can throw you into quite unknown areas (with a-levels in general there are a lot of 'unseen' problems but I think Physics takes it much further than maths does, where you can train yourself enough to be able to tackle unseen problems. Plus, I found practicals in science in general (having taken Physics/Chem at A-level) though I understand that has changed now.

Physics is just crazy and can really exhaust you - I remember the first few weeks, after 4 straight hours of Physics everyone would leave the class with blown minds, and understanding some quite abstract things can be quite difficult.

Physics is easier if you're intelligent, by which I mean capable of understanding abstract ideas quickly and thinking for yourself.
Maths is easier if you're knowledgeable, as in capable of memorizing large chunks of information and mindlessly regurgitating it on paper like a soulless machine.
Original post by Socratesfam
Physics is easier if you're intelligent, by which I mean capable of understanding abstract ideas quickly and thinking for yourself.
Maths is easier if you're knowledgeable, as in capable of memorizing large chunks of information and mindlessly regurgitating it on paper like a soulless machine.

Well said :tongue: better than my answer.
In my 6th form a bunch of people got below C in AS level physics (there were a few Us) whereas afaik nobody got below C in further maths. Physics did have a good few more people taking it though. I personally don't do either of them

This doesn't sound like a biased post at all
What a levels are you taking?
Further maths is harder and further maths is the hardest
do you do a 4th option?
Original post by Retired_Messiah
In my 6th form a bunch of people got below C in AS level physics (there were a few Us) whereas afaik nobody got below C in further maths. Physics did have a good few more people taking it though. I personally don't do either of them

This doesn't sound like a biased post at all
LOL I don't even do STEM bro, I just know how it goes from associating with a lot of STEM nerds growing up and reading biographies of scientists.

Have you ever noticed that physicists are so much more creative and capable of eureka moments than mathematicians. Mathematicians are about 1000x times more rigorous, I'll give them that for sure, but in terms of novelty and ingenuity you're not topping a guy like Feynman or Witten. You need a singularly special mind to make the leaps of understanding required by physics, whereas most people could learn undergrad maths if they were properly instructed/motivated.
I do both further maths and physics and I can 100% assure you that physics is harder.
I would say by far physics is much harder than further maths even more so if your teacher is useless
LOL I don't even do STEM bro, I just know how it goes from associating with a lot of STEM nerds growing up and reading biographies of scientists.

Have you ever noticed that physicists are so much more creative and capable of eureka moments than mathematicians. Mathematicians are about 1000x times more rigorous, I'll give them that for sure, but in terms of novelty and ingenuity you're not topping a guy like Feynman or Witten. You need a singularly special mind to make the leaps of understanding required by physics, whereas most people could learn undergrad maths if they were properly instructed/motivated.

Can't say it's something I've reeaaallly noticed, no. Then again most of the further maths people I know do physics as well as I don't really see these sorta subtle differences
I will take biology chemistry maths physics i am considering of changing physics to further maths though.I hate chemistry i am only taking it to study medicine at university :frown:
Can't say it's something I've reeaaallly noticed, no. Then again most of the further maths people I know do physics as well as I don't really see these sorta subtle differences

Maths is just too rigid and contingent on proof and logical progression to foster the same sort of creativity that physics does. The universe is just a lot more crazy and compelling than pure mathematics.

Of course the most creative academics are OG philosophers like me:biggrin:
Maths is just too rigid and contingent on proof and logical progression to foster the same sort of creativity that physics does. The universe is just a lot more crazy and compelling than pure mathematics.

Of course the most creative academics are OG philosophers like me:biggrin:

Philosophers always seem to big themselves up. ****in Aristotle was sayin contemplation and philosophy was super important for the good life, Plato was saying the life of the philosopher was the way of getting closer to the forms or some such bs... can they chill

- a philosopher
To me, FM was much harder than physics for the following reasons. Physics is, conceptually, harder; the questions require more thought and, for lack of a better word, intelligence. However, in my physics exam last year I pretty much lost around 10-11 marks and still got a 100/100 ums. On further maths, I made a stupid fkn mistake in my mechanics and lost 4 marks to get 88/100 ums in that module. So physics was much easier in that sense, it gives you more space to err.
Conceptually, though, physics requires original thought most of the time. There are standard questions that guarantees you a high B or a low A, but to get the A* you need to be able think well.
(edited 7 years ago)
Philosophers always seem to big themselves up. ****in Aristotle was sayin contemplation and philosophy was super important for the good life, Plato was saying the life of the philosopher was the way of getting closer to the forms or some such bs... can they chill

- a philosopher

Ego sum, ego rigentibus

I chill therefore I am.
Ego sum, ego rigentibus

I chill therefore I am.

sucko mon dicko
If you go by grade statistics, then further maths is easier, but it is different for everyone. I can't say what the hardest A level is because I haven't done every single subject.
Physics is hard because you have to think for yourself wayyy too much. Pretty much all the questions in exams are 'unseen' or 'physics in application' type questions, and they pretty much never simply ask you to solve an equation, whereas with further maths once you understand the concepts applying them is easier as there's limits to what type of question they can ask you. In physics you can do all past papers and still find new papers hard, whereas with maths if you've done past papers you're pretty much good to go. However, if you think you'll be okay with the arbitrariness of physics (which people who enjoy actually learning and understanding it are), then go for it - I'm doing the new Edexcel papers and last year, 54% was an A (although maybe just because it was the first year). If you can't be bothered to actually understand a subject and would rather just memorise methods then do maths (which I wish I would have done tbh).

Quick Reply

Latest