The Student Room Group

CfE Advanced Higher Mathematics 2016/2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mystery.
it just mean integrate with respect to t.
Basically they have just put the dt on top of the fraction because its (1/denominator )dt

can't be bothered with latex sorry. hope it makes sense.

Ahhhh thanks a bunch! :smile:
Original post by Nuba123
Have to say maths is probably my most enjoyable subjects this year. :biggrin:

Good on ya, if you have a good teacher(like I did) then AH Maths should be a breeze. It is well structured and you know exactly what you need to revise for. This is unlike uni maths where it is all over the place(I speak from experience).
Original post by gwagon
Good on ya, if you have a good teacher(like I did) then AH Maths should be a breeze. It is well structured and you know exactly what you need to revise for. This is unlike uni maths where it is all over the place(I speak from experience).

My maths teacher is being extremely unorthodox in his teaching this year. He's jumping from unit to unit instead of simply progressing through unit by unit. We did some stuff on unit 1 and then jumped to unit 2 and then did that a few more times. How are we supposed to do the unit nabs if he keeps this up ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RossB1702
My maths teacher is being extremely unorthodox in his teaching this year. He's jumping from unit to unit instead of simply progressing through unit by unit. We did some stuff on unit 1 and then jumped to unit 2 and then did that a few more times. How are we supposed to do the unit nabs if he keeps this up ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Looks like our teacher's doing that as well - I believe it's based on the old structure of the Advanced Higher.

So far, we've done 2 unit assessments, and essentially when we do a "unit assessment" we just do a few questions from each unit based on the topics we've done so far.

If your teacher does it properly, then it really shouldn't be a problem when it comes to unit assessments. To be honest, I don't even know what topics are part of which unit :tongue:.
Original post by gwagon

We were a bit rough to start ie teachers leaving and swapping about but now we've got a great teacher and he's so sympathetic man. He's awesome - he's great at explaining and always checks you understand! Rather than just storming through topics like my previous teacher. :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jeff458(#18)
You're lucky then!

I have had a Biology test last week, got another this week, had a Chemistry test last week and I have a Maths test this week now.

When you realise you know nothing and you begin to panick...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Trust me I don't know ****. But maths is really sweet for me but thats because in comparison to bio/chem the pace is so much better!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unit Nabs are split into 3 units and different topics. Also, certain outcomes are mixture of questions.
Original post by Nuba123
Unit Nabs are split into 3 units and different topics. Also, certain outcomes are mixture of questions.

I know how it works but if I just feel if he's constantly changing units then I won't know what is in the actual units and also will forget stuff in each unit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know how it works but if I just feel if he's constantly changing units then I won't know what is in the actual units and also will forget stuff in each unit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very true. That's quite a difficult situation you're in and will require more effort on your part which is unfair but not a bad thing. I was surfing online for some notes and would recommend this:

Queen Anne Advanced Higher Maths >>>>> Heriott-Watt uni course notes
In other news, anyone here watch still game?
Original post by Nuba123
In other news, anyone here watch still game?

Yes but this season is nowhere near as good quality as before. I would give it a 6/10, partly because of the reputation and nostalgia it used to have.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So who's apolying to uni for maths??
Original post by Jeff458(#18)
Ahhhh thanks a bunch! :smile:

No problem jeff!
Yes but this season is nowhere near as good quality as before. I would give it a 6/10, partly because of the reputation and nostalgia it used to have.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Everyone's saying that! I thought the most recent episode was funny. I've watched all of season 7 so far but I'm starting from season 1 because I'm quite new but I'm season 1 ep 4 so far. I have to say the new ones are funny but the older ones are funnier. My favourite character is Naveed. :biggrin: I started watching it because my AH chem teacher talked about it for a full lesson so I had to watch it. Except I started watching it at the worst time ie when I'm sitting 3 AH's. Oh well. :biggrin:
So who's apolying to uni for maths??

Was thinking of applying for maths in S3 but I don't know what I could do with that degree except be a teacher and I don't fancy that at all. What unis, would you say, are the best for maths in Scotland?

If I was applying I would probably go far Edinburgh/Glasgow/St Andrews/Dundee
Original post by Nuba123
Was thinking of applying for maths in S3 but I don't know what I could do with that degree except be a teacher and I don't fancy that at all. What unis, would you say, are the best for maths in Scotland?

St Andrews is 4th in the uk. I would say then Glasgow/edinburgh then Dundee
Original post by Nuba123

You could do investment banking, actuarial science, engineering in post grad, there are so many things.
Reply 117
Yep, St Andrews is the place to go if you want to do maths on its own...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JP298
Yep, St Andrews is the place to go if you want to do maths on its own...

Posted from TSR Mobile

How's yur course going at edinburgh?

I have applied there too!
How's yur course going at edinburgh?

I have applied there too!

What you applying for ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending