The Student Room Group

Maths A-level/University

Im in year 12 atm and for my GCSES recieved 9 A* (inc further maths and maths) an A and 2 B's (french and Pe). I am currently studying Further maths, maths, physics and economics at AS level and am likely to drop physics after AS. I think i want to do mathematics at university, maybe joint with economics and would like to go to a top university either in the UK (oxbridge/LSE/UCL/imperial etc) or in America (harvard, MIT etc) . My question is if there is anything i should be doing now, aside from focusing on achieving the best grades possible, to boost my chances to get into the uni i want. Is work experience important/neccessary? What sort of work experience is beneficial because i have no job ideas yet i just like doing maths? Any other advice about university or my subjects would be helpful.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lukeyg900
Im in year 12 atm and for my GCSES recieved 9 A* (inc further maths and maths) an A and 2 B's (french and Pe). I am currently studying Further maths, maths, physics and economics at AS level and am likely to drop physics after AS. I think i want to do mathematics at university, maybe joint with economics and would like to go to a top university either in the UK (oxbridge/LSE/UCL/inperial etc) or in America (harvard, MIT etc) . My question is if there is anything i should be doing now, aside from focusing on achieving the best grades possible, to boost my chances to get into the uni i want. Is work experience important/neccessary? What sort of work experience is beneficial because i have no job ideas yet i just like doing maths? Any other advice about university or my subjects would be helpful.

You could do work experience and extra curricular. Most importantly focus on school and your grades.
Reply 2
Original post by Illimitable
You could do work experience and extra curricular. Most importantly focus on school and your grades.

What sort of work experience wold be helpful?
Original post by Lukeyg900
What sort of work experience wold be helpful?

Any would be useful to be honest. I don't know if it's possible but something related to your future files would be really helpful.
Reply 4
Have a look at doing STEP work, if you start now it will get you shape for the future.
Reply 5
Yeah that seems like my best option thanks, are STEP papers based on what i learn in year 12 and 13 or seperate content?

Quick Reply

Latest