The Student Room Group

Pathway to medicine?

I'm considering the option of changing sixth form (maybe college if it comes to that?) because I can't stand the one i'm at right now- i stayed at my secondary school into sixth form but my relationship with this school has run completely stale plus i've made the huge mistake of choosing an a level in which i know my grades will suffer.

If i do, that means I'll most probably have to restart yr 12 and complete my a levels over the course of 3 years. and i know i kNOW medicine courses don't really accept that? But is there ABSOLUTELY ANY WAY I can still get into medicine if i happen to make that choice? Or at least a similar course...i just want to know what my options are here :argh:
If you leave your current school before your AS exams and you start again at a new school, then you won't be doing A levels over three years, and med schools never need to know about this false-start.
Original post by Snufkin
If you leave your current school before your AS exams and you start again at a new school, then you won't be doing A levels over three years, and med schools never need to know about this false-start.

oh really? i hadn't heard this but i guess it's worth considering then- cheers :smile:
Original post by bytheseasons
I'm considering the option of changing sixth form (maybe college if it comes to that?) because I can't stand the one i'm at right now- i stayed at my secondary school into sixth form but my relationship with this school has run completely stale plus i've made the huge mistake of choosing an a level in which i know my grades will suffer.

If i do, that means I'll most probably have to restart yr 12 and complete my a levels over the course of 3 years. and i know i kNOW medicine courses don't really accept that? But is there ABSOLUTELY ANY WAY I can still get into medicine if i happen to make that choice? Or at least a similar course...i just want to know what my options are here :argh:

You won't be doing A-Levels in 3 years.
Reply 4

What subjects are you taking? And what is this mistake of a subject? Are you not able to drop/change it?
Original post by thatawesomekid
What subjects are you taking? And what is this mistake of a subject? Are you not able to drop/change it?

I'm taking history, chem and bio- of which history I'm the most worried about. And i'm pretty sure it's a definite 'no' to dropping it since it's already been an entire term into the course.

So since i've left it too late an option would be to just restart :/
Reply 6
I'm taking history, chem and bio- of which history I'm the most worried about. And i'm pretty sure it's a definite 'no' to dropping it since it's already been an entire term into the course.

So since i've left it too late an option would be to just restart :/

What would you want to do instead of history? If it's maybe maths I'm sure you could swap as they would have probably only done C1 at this stage which is easy to catch up on.

You would be making things quite difficult for yourself if you took three years to do your A levels instead of two.

What do you mean by your relationship with the school has run stale?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Snufkin

Since they are taking Chemistry&Biology now and would have to take them if they switched for medicine, it would mean they took three years to complete them.
Original post by HopelessMedic
Since they are taking Chemistry&Biology now and would have to take them if they switched for medicine, it would mean they took three years to complete them.

That's why I said "If you leave your school before sitting your AS exams" - the OP should continue studying for their Chemistry and Biology AS, but not take the exam until next year, that way med schools won't ever know.
Original post by Snufkin
That's why I said "If you leave your school before sitting your AS exams" - the OP should continue studying for their Chemistry and Biology AS, but not take the exam until next year, that way med schools won't ever know.

Ah ok, is that allowed? Surely they'll find out or you'll have to explain what happened during that year as you will be one year older than everyone else.
Original post by HopelessMedic
Ah ok, is that allowed? Surely they'll find out or you'll have to explain what happened during that year as you will be one year older than everyone else.

I can't think why it wouldn't be allowed. It probably isn't something to shout publicly about, but it's better than doing your A levels over three years.
Original post by thatawesomekid
What would you want to do instead of history? If it's maybe maths I'm sure you could swap as they would have probably only done C1 at this stage which is easy to catch up on.

Most probably sociology- i've heard they haven't done too much either. Still, it'll be quite a bit to catch up on whatever the subject

Original post by Democracy
You would be making things quite difficult for yourself if you took three years to do your A levels instead of two.

What do you mean by your relationship with the school has run stale?

Tell me about it- i've pretty much trapped myself into a corner. That's why i kind of feel helpless right now ;-;

And what i mean by that is, i don't feel as though i fit well here. I can't relate, i'm no longer comfortable, it's super cliquey and i'm too out of touch with everyone to do something about it. I just about managed up until last year cuz of my friends but now they've all moved elsewhere (pretty unexpectedly and spontaneous too so i didn't have time to do something about it).

So I've been left feeling really unmotivated since i can't even do so much as ask help from people. I already have a different school in mind (where one of my friends go to) but i want to know if moving would really hinder my chances :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest