The Student Room Group

Government loses article 50 court fight

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joecphillips
It is the word representative they are acting against someone can not claim to represent a group by acting against it wishes

Then it's likely that the MPs of your area will vote the same way as their constituents.
Original post by Plagioclase
but unfortunately the UK's electorate has decided that they're all suddenly political and economic experts

You are aware of course that it is possible for ordinary people to have informed views on political issues, and that those people are not limited to just your side at all?
Original post by RF_PineMarten
You are aware of course that it is possible for ordinary people to have informed views on political issues, and that those people are not limited to just your side at all?

Well..yes but that also extends to Shelly from Grimsby who hasn't got a GCSE to her name.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Theresa May has conceded that an Act of Parliament will be required to invoke Article 50.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/nov/03/theresa-may-concedes-triggering-article-50-will-need-act-of-parliament

Probably no need for it to be appealed to the Supreme Court now.

Parliament will now be able to attach amendments demanding that Britain stay in the Single Market.
People would be up in arms if Trump tried to challenge Hillary being elected in court.
Original post by RF_PineMarten

It is of course possible, but if you're trying to tell me that any significant proportion of the electorate was properly informed then I'd struggle to take that seriously. I'm certainly not suggesting that ignorance is exclusive to Leave voters, but if you're unprepared to educate yourself about a topic sufficiently such that you feel you're in a position to make a personal decision about an issue as important as this, the next best thing is to use the expert consensus. And given that the expert consensus on practically all issues was overwhelmingly on the remain side, I think I'm well justified to argue that Leave supporters cared much less about facts and well-reasoned arguments than Remain supporters.
Original post by Iridocyclitis

The idea that a small group of representatives should supersede the will of the millions of people they are supposed to represent is something more akin to Putin's Russia or China.

You clearly are not a believer in Parliamentary Democracy, which is fine, but I think all of the Brexiteers who are not (including Nigel Farage, who has many times indicated his disdain for Parliament) should state clearly that they want it to be replaced with dictatorship. The views you espouse would have been fully acceptable to Stalin for example.
People would be up in arms if Trump tried to challenge Hillary being elected in court.

Gore/Bush was decided in court. It isn't unheard of for US elections to end up that way.
It is of course possible, but if you're trying to tell me that any significant proportion of the electorate was properly informed then I'd struggle to take that seriously. I'm certainly not suggesting that ignorance is exclusive to Leave voters, but if you're unprepared to educate yourself about a topic sufficiently such that you feel you're in a position to make a personal decision about an issue as important as this, the next best thing is to use the expert consensus. And given that the expert consensus on practically all issues was overwhelmingly on the remain side, I think I'm well justified to argue that Leave supporters cared much less about facts and well-reasoned arguments than Remain supporters.

Remain voters wanted to protect the institutions the Eu have gave us such as the NHS and make sure nandos could stay in the uk.
Original post by The_Internet
Well..yes but that also extends to Shelly from Grimsby who hasn't got a GCSE to her name.

Posted from TSR Mobile

According to Michael Gove, during the referendum, Shelly's views counted for more than 'experts', who were to be derided. People like, er, business managers, economists, exporters, that kind of thing. Shelly mattered more.
And given that the expert consensus on practically all issues was overwhelmingly on the remain side, I think I'm well justified to argue that Leave supporters cared much less about facts and well-reasoned arguments than Remain supporters.

Would you apply the same argument to the refugee issue? I am sure the cold, hard facts reveal that they are a net drain on the system, yet of course many (rightfully) don't care about all that and would rather listen to the emotive argument.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
You clearly are not a believer in Parliamentary Democracy, which is fine, but I think all of the Brexiteers who are not (including Nigel Farage, who has many times indicated his disdain for Parliament) should state clearly that they want it to be replaced with dictatorship. The views you espouse would have been fully acceptable to Stalin for example.

False dichotomy alert. I don't believe in Parliament superseding a national referendum, no - for the reasons I already mentioned. In other circumstances where the people delegate decision-making to Parliament, then yes I am fine with Parliament having supremacy over judges, local councils, international organisations, etc.

You are saying that a handful of people who have been delegated the job of representing millions of people (for practical reasons) should be able to turn around and supersede the will of those millions of people because of the archaic idea that Parliamentary Sovereignty is somehow divinely above everything else, including the will of the entire electorate. That sounds like something a royalist would have said about the Divine Right of Kings during the civil war.
(edited 7 years ago)
Would you apply the same argument to the refugee issue? I am sure the cold, hard facts reveal that they are a net drain on the system, yet of course many (rightfully) don't care about all that and would rather listen to the emotive argument.

There is not only one metric that matters in the world. You need to look at problems holistically. In the case of the EU, the economy is certainly not the only thing that matters (although it's pretty important, given that it's an economic union) but in pretty much every single aspect, from geopolitics to the environment, the expert opinion was overwhelmingly that it's a bad idea to leave. Refugees are most certainly not a primarily economic issue, it's a humanitarian issue. So it's complete nonsense to analyse it in terms of whether it gives us a net positive effect (and indeed if you asked an economist they would not tell you "It is bad because it costs money" because they'd be intelligent enough to realise that it is not a problem you can find an answer to with economics alone).

I'd also argue that there's a pretty poor emotive argument for leaving the EU. Total sovereignty is impossible in a globalised world and I don't even think it's remotely desirable given the fact that we now live in a world where most important issues are international rather than national, and where competing national interests are putting the human race in serious risk.

That's isn't what happened here. Brexit was not challenged today, nor was the notion of a hard Brexit.

Today's ruling simply stated the legal process by which the UK must leave the EU according to British constitutional law.

We will still leave, it just means that to legally do so our parliament, not government must trigger Article

I don't see the issue. Our courts' role is to decide a case on its legal merits, not its political merits and legally parliament must vote to trigger article 50 whether or not that is politically desirable.
I don't understand this in general.

Lots of leavers seem to think it'll stop Brexit.

Lots of remainers seem to think it'll stop Brexit.

It won't stop Brexit.
There is not only one metric that matters in the world. You need to look at problems holistically. In the case of the EU, the economy is certainly not the only thing that matters (although it's pretty important, given that it's an economic union) but in pretty much every single aspect, from geopolitics to the environment, the expert opinion was overwhelmingly that it's a bad idea to leave. Refugees are most certainly not a primarily economic issue, it's a humanitarian issue. So it's complete nonsense to analyse it in terms of whether it gives us a net positive effect (and indeed if you asked an economist they would not tell you "It is bad because it costs money" because they'd be intelligent enough to realise that it is not a problem you can find an answer to with economics alone).

Refugees and the EU are many things to many people, the reasons for embracing or rejecting both ranging from pure economics to emotion. Just because you subjectively view refugees as primarily a humanitarian issue does not objectively invalidate another person seeing refugees through a purely economic prism. So I just don't see how someone being for Brexit on emotive grounds and ignoring objective data is somehow wrong, whereas someone being for more refugees on emotive grounds and ignoring objective data is somehow right. I don't think you saying refugees belong under a different sub-heading really changes that.

I'd also argue that there's a pretty poor emotive argument for leaving the EU. Total sovereignty is impossible in a globalised world and I don't even think it's remotely desirable given the fact that we now live in a world where most important issues are international rather than national, and where competing national interests are putting the human race in serious risk.

Why does that necessitate a domestic parliament having to give away powers to international bodies? Why can't those international bodies have more of an advisory role?
(edited 7 years ago)
A win for democracy.
Refugees and the EU are many things to many people, the reasons for embracing or rejecting both ranging from pure economics to emotion. Just because you subjectively view refugees as primarily a humanitarian issue does not objectively invalidate another person seeing refugees through a purely economic prism. So I just don't see how someone being for Brexit on emotive grounds and ignoring objective data is somehow wrong, whereas someone being for more refugees on emotive grounds and ignoring objective data is somehow right. I don't think you saying refugees belong under a different sub-heading really changes that.

I'd say there's a pretty big difference between wanting to help desperate people escaping war and conflict, and Barry from Croydon wanting his country back when he doesn't even know what that means.

Why does that necessitate a domestic parliament having to give away powers to international bodies? Why can't those international bodies have more of an advisory role?

Because countries do not have a particularly good track record when they sign up to non-binding agreements about things that put international interests and the greater good in front of short-term national populist interests. Climate change and nuclear disarmament are two cases in point.
Original post by AperfectBalance
If it does not happen there will be riots

why do you think i have my gold piling up and refining a couple of kilos of silver every day

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending