The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University of Glasgow vs University of Nottingham

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Sociolinguistics is more interesting to me!

Ahh ok so sociolinguistics you will get essays asking you to analyse theories, or data that explores these theories e.g transcripts. Sometimes it will be whether you agree or disagree, how this particular piece of research is useful for the field, or how certain theories are visible in the 'real world' :-)
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by Trapz99
Nottingham has a better reputation than Glasgow in general, plus it has lower entry requirements for your course.

Does it though?

I'd say Glasgow is a top 10 UK uni.
Original post by Anna.Karenina
Ahh ok so sociolinguistics you will get essays asking you to analyse theories, or data that explores these theories e.g transcripts. Sometimes it will be whether you agree or disagree, how this particular piece of research is useful for the field, or how certain theories are visible in the 'real world' :-)

Have you done any modules in forensic linguistics? I went to a lecture about it at KCL about it and it was soo interesting.
Have you done any modules in forensic linguistics? I went to a lecture about it at KCL about it and it was soo interesting.

I did some within a module - I was looking at 'whiteness' (in contrast to Black English Vernacular) and the linguistics of race and discrimination laws, which was fascinating! :-)
Original post by Anna.Karenina
I did some within a module - I was looking at 'whiteness' (in contrast to Black English Vernacular) and the linguistics of race and discrimination laws, which was fascinating! :-)

Ohh I looked at a defendant's statement in a murder case. Was fascinating.
The uni looks beautiful. I've spoken to a few teachers all of them are telling me to go for Nottingham because it's slightly more recognised by Glasgow.

Are you from Scotland? I went to UofG cuz in my area of Scotland it's the most prestigious uni in Scotland. I went to Edinburgh Uni for a very short time and didn't like it, and everyone told me I was stupid for picking Edinburgh over Glasgow because Glasgow is the best uni. Guess if people in your area say Nottingham is best maybe go with that, especially if you wanna stay in your area for jobs :smile:
Original post by Faye__1996
Are you from Scotland? I went to UofG cuz in my area of Scotland it's the most prestigious uni in Scotland. I went to Edinburgh Uni for a very short time and didn't like it, and everyone told me I was stupid for picking Edinburgh over Glasgow because Glasgow is the best uni. Guess if people in your area say Nottingham is best maybe go with that, especially if you wanna stay in your area for jobs :smile:

Nope but I loveee the accents. I live in London and didn't like any of the London unis at all.
[QUOTE=MrsSheldonCooper;68295580]So atm I'm holding offers from both of these unis (Glasgow for English Lang and Lit and Nottingham for English and French). Glasgow ask for AA (I've already achieved a B) and Nottingham are asking for BB (which I think I could actually get as opposed to two As). I've heard from my cousins who went to Glasgow that the uni was nicer and from the pictures, it does look really beautiful. I've been to Nottingham's open day and I really liked the campus and the English syllabus but I feel the same way about Glasgow's syllabus too.

My sister's recommending me to got for Nottingham because of higher job prospects and because I'll be doing a language as well)

Any advice? Pretty sure any Scottish person who sees this will say Glasgow :':wink:

@Princepieman

At glasgow you need to study 3 subjects in your first 2 years so you can study French too :smile:
Also, AA may seem difficult to achieve but almost everyone that I've met here didn't achieve their offers so even if you got BB I think you'd have a good chance of getting in!
I'm assuming you're english as you've applied for Notts- the bursaries for english students are really good here!
I had a look around notts when I was applying to unis but glasgow uni and city can't be compared to the **** hole that is Nottingham. Yeah the uni has a lake but Glasgow uni looks like hogwarts!
Original post by lime-jelly
At glasgow you need to study 3 subjects in your first 2 years so you can study French too :smile:
Also, AA may seem difficult to achieve but almost everyone that I've met here didn't achieve their offers so even if you got BB I think you'd have a good chance of getting in!
I'm assuming you're english as you've applied for Notts- the bursaries for english students are really good here!
I had a look around notts when I was applying to unis but glasgow uni and city can't be compared to the **** hole that is Nottingham. Yeah the uni has a lake but Glasgow uni looks like hogwarts!

What bursaries are there for English students? O.o

I haven't actually seen Nottingham's city that well but liked uni campus a lot. I know nightlife at Notts is really good.
What bursaries are there for English students? O.o

I haven't actually seen Nottingham's city that well but liked uni campus a lot. I know nightlife at Notts is really good.

It can be quite generous, e.g. I know Edinburgh's max bursary (based on household income) is £7k/year on top of student finance. Glasgow's is less insane, at £3k, £2k and £1k for years 1, 2 and 3 if your household income is sub £25k or £2k, £1k and £1k if it's between £25k and £35k

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
It can be quite generous, e.g. I know Edinburgh's max bursary (based on household income) is £7k/year on top of student finance. Glasgow's is less insane, at £3k, £2k and £1k for years 1, 2 and 3 if your household income is sub £25k or £2k, £1k and £1k if it's between £25k and £35k

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thing is my family income is higher than £35k.. I know Nottingham has hardship funds and stuff.

I'm hoping to go to an applicant day at Glasgow so I can decide but I'm so torn atm between Notts and Glasgow.
(edited 7 years ago)
The reputation only really matters if you want to pursue careers at the top of finance/consulting and to a lesser extent, law. If you know you don't want to go down these avenues, consider something other than reputation.

I go to Nottingham and I can't praise it highly enough. If you have specific questions, I might be able to help, although I don't study your course.

At the end of the day, they're both really good.
Original post by Exceptional
The reputation only really matters if you want to pursue careers at the top of finance/consulting and to a lesser extent, law. If you know you don't want to go down these avenues, consider something other than reputation.

I go to Nottingham and I can't praise it highly enough. If you have specific questions, I might be able to help, although I don't study your course.

At the end of the day, they're both really good.

Oh what do you study? I love how English is in the Trent building. It's so pretty :3
I'm at nottingham and its great so I'd recommend coming here tbh
Original post by fefssdf
I'm at nottingham and its great so I'd recommend coming here tbh

Oh cool! What do you study?
Oh cool! What do you study?

math
Original post by fefssdf
math

How are you finding it?
Reply 37
So atm I'm holding offers from both of these unis (Glasgow for English Lang and Lit and Nottingham for English and French). Glasgow ask for AA (I've already achieved a B) and Nottingham are asking for BB (which I think I could actually get as opposed to two As).

@Princepieman

Congratulations on your offers! Nottingham has a better reputation, I'd say. I have close friends there that are loving it.
Original post by btea
Congratulations on your offers! Nottingham has a better reputation, I'd say. I have close friends there that are loving it.

Thank you my lovely! Oh cool do you have any friends who study English there?
K guys I think Nottingham will be my firm

@AndrewSCO Toby and Scottish accents will forever be in my heart <3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending