The Student Room Group

The Arab Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Eternalflames
Well the poor South Asians go there for work and do labour jobs, so I guess they're all seen as filth :rolleyes:

nah south asians are the same as everyone else. Especially in england too. A lot of africans move up to north africa and do the same but they're not treated worse off either :smile:
Arab people are cray!

I once met an Arab girl and we were talking and out of nowhere her dad popped out! All I could remember was her hiding away from me and just ignoring me very randomly. I knew her really well but she just wouldn't talk. I thought to myself wtf lol.

AND THEN I realise her dad had seen her, and I clicked on what this had meant for her.

yeah, it was pretty awkward and we never talked again.
Well the poor South Asians go there for work and do labour jobs, so I guess they're all seen as filth :rolleyes:

I don't think this is the case with Dubai . The Emiratis are pretty humble people and respect what others do for them.

I have met many of the South Asian workers in Dubai and they think very positive of the Sheikh / ruler in Dubai.

However, I am not sure about other Gulf countries.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mr.cool09
I don't think this is the case with Dubai . The Emiratis are pretty humble people and respect what others do for them.

I have met many of the South Asian workers in Dubai and they think very positive of the Sheikh / ruler in Dubai.

However, I am not sure about other Gulf countries.

Yeah maybe Dubai is alright now, but Qatar, Kuwait even Saudi people don't much like the South Asians there.
Also I don't think there are many Arabs from the Gulf countries living in the UK?
Original post by Saba XD
I agree with you. They mostly look down upon Pakistanis and Bangladeshis.

I'm Pakistani so I know.

"I'm arab and i would know."
It's a massive generalisation and it's not true at all. It's just a stereotype. and it's a false one.
Yeah maybe Dubai is alright now, but Qatar, Kuwait even Saudi people don't much like the South Asians there.

ahh right, I assume you're living in one of those countries... right?

I'm sorry to intrude but I was lurking this society for a while, being an Arabic speaker who has lived in the Middle East and loves quite a few aspects of Arab culture.

Eternalflames makes a good point people, it can't keep being ignored. I made some great friends who come from a variety of Arab countries so I will always think of them as representatives of Arab people but racism in Saudi was bad, bad bad. I know some South Asians who love it there but they come from upper-middle class families and stay within their communities of expats and international students. My parents wanted me to learn Arabic so I spent most of my time with the locals and there is definitely a massive problem. And I was treated much better than the poor foreigners, who made up the majority of South Asian workers there.

I am not sure what the non-Gulf countries are like, as I only visited one of them for a few days (Egypt).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by WBZ144
I'm sorry to intrude but I was lurking this society for a while, being an Arabic speaker who has lived in the Middle East and loves quite a few aspects of Arab culture.

Eternalflames makes a good point people, it can't keep being ignored. I made some great friends who come from a variety of Arab countries so I will always think of them as representatives of Arab people but racism in Saudi was bad, bad bad. I know some South Asians who love it there but they come from upper-middle class families and stay within their communities of expats and international students. My parents wanted me to learn Arabic so I spent most of my time with the locals and there is definitely a massive problem. And I was treated much better than the poor foreigners, who made up the majority of South Asian workers there.

I am not sure what the non-Gulf countries are like, as I only visited one of them for a few days (Egypt).

Did you get any of the locals hitting on you :biggrin: ?
Did you get any of the locals hitting on you :biggrin: ?

Pretty much every woman did :tongue:. The segregation in Saudi made people desperate, so much so that even a Niqaabi would have men shouting their phone numbers at her.
Original post by WBZ144
Pretty much every woman did :tongue:. The segregation in Saudi made people desperate, so much so that even a Niqaabi would have men shouting their phone numbers at her.

lool I have been to Saudi before but I thought the women were a no-go. Especially as it is an Islamic country and you can be arrested for trying to talk to the women.

But do the ladies who wear niqaab have interest in men outside marriage? I am ever so curious lol :lol:
lool I have been to Saudi before but I thought the women were a no-go. Especially as it is an Islamic country and you can be arrested for trying to talk to the women.

But do the ladies who wear niqaab have interest in men outside marriage? I am ever so curious lol :lol:

Yeah, that's why some of the guys who wanted to get girls would hang outside of the shopping malls; it's where you would normally find the ladies going.

At school we were warned about the "wolves", young men who would use girls by promising them with marriage then dump them when after they got what they wanted. Despite all of these warnings, some girls would still pick up their numbers and end up with telephone/internet boyfriends. A few of the more daring ones would meet up if they could find somewhere to go. I know a girl who invited her boyfriend over when her parents were away on Umrah, she was half American though :eek:

No matter how much segregation you put in place, young people will find ways :tongue:
Original post by WBZ144
Yeah, that's why some of the guys who wanted to get girls would hang outside of the shopping malls; it's where you would normally find the ladies going.

At school we were warned about the "wolves", young men who would use girls by promising them with marriage then dump them when after they got what they wanted. Despite all of these warnings, some girls would still pick up their numbers and end up with telephone/internet boyfriends. A few of the more daring ones would meet up if they could find somewhere to go. I know a girl who invited her boyfriend over when her parents were away on Umrah, she was half American though :eek:

No matter how much segregation you put in place, young people will find ways :tongue:

oh wow, I am truly shocked. I guess people would go to extreme lengths to get what they want -.-
oh wow, I am truly shocked. I guess people would go to extreme lengths to get what they want -.-

Yeah, but people will want relationships no matter where you go, and it's no longer normal for girls there to get married until they are in their 20s, so restrictions will only make them reckless. The Committee for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice seems to have less power now, so maybe things will mellow out a little. They used to be quite intimidating.
Original post by WBZ144
Yeah, but people will want relationships no matter where you go, and it's no longer normal for girls there to get married until they are in their 20s, so restrictions will only make them reckless. The Committee for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice seems to have less power now, so maybe things will mellow out a little. They used to be quite intimidating.

Lol parents should get them boxed off asap :h:. Is sex before marriage common as well? I am sure if you are caught then you get lashes... I don't know if that is still the rule there.
Lol parents should get them boxed off asap :h:. Is sex before marriage common as well? I am sure if you are caught then you get lashes... I don't know if that is still the rule there.

No, when I was there the girls still seemed to value their reputation above everything. The half American girl I mentioned didn't have sex but she did everything else; having fun while keeping her boundaries. Even the girls who had relationships rarely went as far as she did, or so they claimed.

The punishment is lashes but there needs to be witnesses. That being said, the system is corrupt, so women from upper and middle class families would probably be treated differently than poorer women. Still, even if the woman wasn't punished by the authorities, she wouldn't be able to get married in most cases because her reputation would be ruined. And most of the girls I know over there still value marriage over almost everything.
(edited 7 years ago)
Also I don't think there are many Arabs from the Gulf countries living in the UK?

I know/seen a few that own and live in properties around London.
Owning real estate in London is viewed as a prestige.
Original post by Al-farhan
I know/seen a few that own and live in properties around London.
Owning real estate in London is viewed as a prestige.

lol London is the only place you'd find Arabs. I mean that is the only place that is really multicultural in the UK :biggrin:
lol London is the only place you'd find Arabs. I mean that is the only place that is really multicultural in the UK :biggrin:

There is also a sizable yemeni community in Leicester
Original post by TheProphetsPath
not true

lol it more or less is

Quick Reply

Latest