The Student Room Group

FBI finds no evidence of criminality in Clinton e-mails.

The FBI has found no evidence of criminality in the new batch of Hillary Clinton emails.
In a letter to members of Congress, FBI director James Comey said the agency had finished its review and found nothing to change its position.
In July, he said Mrs Clinton had been careless but not criminal in handling sensitive material on her private email server while secretary of state.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2016-37892138

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/fbi-director-comey-says-agency-wont-recommend-charges-over-clinton-email/2016/11/06/f6276b18-a45e-11e6-ba59-a7d93165c6d4_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_clintonfbi%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/election-us-2016-37825671

Bet she was glad they actually finished the investigation just in time rather than having a big ? which was impossible to respond to.

Scroll to see replies

Well this is ****. Doesn't change the fact that she's obviously corrupt, but it may be enough to hand it to her in such a tight race.
Original post by 999tigger
Bet she was glad they actually finished the investigation just in time rather than having a big ? which was impossible to respond to.

Whether or not she's glad, or considers it "just in time", probably depends on how much damage it's done to her performance in early voting.
Reply 3
Given the choice of a no criminality find or the invetsigation finding something or remaining ongoing, then I think she will be glad its been resolved. probably furious about the damage that has been done, but not much time to waste on that till after.

It prevents Trump using as an effective stick, now. Also undermines all the motherlode and commending the FBI stuff. I guess its back to everything is corrupt and its all a fix angle.
Doesn't make her innocent of corruption.

She still has a **** ton on WikiLeaks to answer and Project Veritas.

Don't understand why the FBI said it would take until after the election.
Given the choice of a no criminality find or the invetsigation finding something or remaining ongoing, then I think she will be glad its been resolved. probably furious about the damage that has been done, but not much time to waste on that till after.

That's the thing though, it was already resolved when they declared her free of any criminal wrongdoing the first time around. I don't she'll have been worried at all about the risk of indictment after the investigation was reopened, all she had to worry about was how much of her lead she was going to haemorrhage.

It prevents Trump using as an effective stick, now.

I seriously doubt it will stop Trump using it if he still decides he wants to, this is the same guy who yesterday slated Obama for screaming at a protestor after the footage was already going viral showing Obama defending the protestor's right to show support for his candidate.
I'm not a conspiracy theorist and I detest Trump but it seems a bit odd that the FBI decided to reopen the investigation just before the election only to clear Hillary a few days later. Can someone who knows more than me about this tell me that I'm stupid?
Reply 7
I'm sure she knew what was in the e-mails. hence being less bothered, but being under investigation weakened her position considerably and that is how Trump has made up ground. Thats why she will be relieved she can try and get back on with campaigning. If it hadnt been resolved, then his chances would have been much greater. there was a chance he could build momentum.

I bet they put in some overtime to get through those e-mails.

I think a lot of Trumps supporters are preaching to the converted, so he cna carry on and they can pretend the investigation is still going or its a cover up.

Its the undecideds who now might feel more comfy boting when they were wavering beforehand.

Btw I didnt look it up, but Id be surprised if a laptop is worth it considering the exchange rate. Obviously you know about taking it out of the box and not declairing it to save on import tax.
(edited 7 years ago)
I imagine those advocating the vast left wing conspiracy that the FBI were rigging the election have suddenly shut up, although it seems odd that an investigation containing over half a million emails could possibly take a week, and I imagine the Bureau's approval rating really has not fared well through all this.
I'm sure she knew what was in the e-mails. hence being less bothered, but being under investigation weakened her position considerably and that is how Trump has made up ground.

This was the point I was making, what I'm disagreeing with is that...

Thats why she will be relieved she can try and get back on with campaigning.

... I don't think "relief" is the right word- she's probably still fuming. It's like somebody swinging a cricket bat at the back of your head, and then letting you know they won't be knocking your teeth out with it after the concussion's worn off. Yes, it's a good thing that they're not hitting you again, but gladness and relief probably aren't the feelings you're experiencing after already being cracked around the back of the skull.
"careless but not criminal" makes no sense - I could be careless as to the safety of those I have legal responsibilities for (i.e. my hypothetical children) but does that mean that I'm not acting in a criminal way?

honestly, you people must surely understand that she used a private account for her emails because an unknown private account isn't subject to the freedom of information act, so she can be corrupt without it showing. also, obviously she had probably successfully wiped all of the emails from that account before the FBI found them. in fact, surely this *is* what happened?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Think we are going to have to agree to disagree. She might be raging at the same time, but its a relief to get a reesolution compared to the chance that none was reached and it continues to hurt her. Sge will be mostly focused on the election now and can do the post mortem afterwards.
Reply 12
Original post by sleepysnooze
"careless but not criminal" makes no sense - I could be careless as to the safety of those I have legal responsibilities for (i.e. my hypothetical children) but does that mean that I'm not acting in a criminal way?

honestly, you people must surely understand that she used a private account for her emails because an unknown private account isn't subject to the freedom of information act, so she can be corrupt without it showing. also, obviously she had probably successfully wiped all of the emails from that account before the FBI found them. in fact, surely this *is* what happened?

Yes because the level of culpability wasnt serious enough. Did you study law?
You will find soemthing called the mens rea which assesses the mental state required for any crime to be commited. It would appear hers was insufficient for criminal liability and carelessness was not enough.

From my reading it was commonplace and several other secretaries of state were also using private severrs back at the time. the internet wasnt what it is today.
Yes because the level of culpability wasnt serious enough. Did you study law? You will find soemthing called the mens rea

oh jeez, here we go.

which assesses the mental state required for any crime to be commited. It would appear hers was insufficient for criminal liability and carelessness was not enough.

surely gross neglience is a form of mens rea.
and if she's in high office being negligent, surely she's objectively breaking the standards of that office. where's the line? what constitutes "serious enough"? because this surely was serious enough gor other officials that were jailed for this kind of activity

From my reading it was commonplace and several other secretaries of state were also using private severrs back at the time. the internet wasnt what it is today.

nahhhhh.
Reply 14
oh jeez, here we go.

surely gross neglience is a form of mens rea.
and if she's in high office being negligent, surely she's objectively breaking the standards of that office. where's the line? what constitutes "serious enough"? because this surely was serious enough gor other officials that were jailed for this kind of activity

nahhhhh.

Careless doesnt equate to gross negligence. Gross negligence is only relevant to certain offences.The level of culpability required would depend upon the crime being alleged.

In this instance the FBI dont feel there is enough evidence to show criminal culpability. The Justice department also decided there was insufficient evidence.
convenient timing, eh? :holmes:

Spoiler

The Justice department also decided there was insufficient evidence.

yes because she deleted her emails - she deleted the evidence, surely? this is really just a case judgement of "she's probably guilty but we technically can't prove it now"
Reply 17
Careless doesnt equate to gross negligence. Gross negligence is only relevant to certain offences.The level of culpability required would depend upon the crime being alleged.

In this instance the FBI dont feel there is enough evidence to show criminal culpability. The Justice department also decided there was insufficient evidence.

Surely that should be a question for a jury, the act isn't in question she did what she is accused of.
Reply 18
yes because she deleted her emails - she deleted the evidence, surely? this is really just a case judgement of "she's probably guilty but we technically can't prove it now"

They found no evidence of that. Innocent till proven guilty. What evidence do you have? Without evidence you have nothing.
Reply 19
Original post by joecphillips
Surely that should be a question for a jury, the act isn't in question she did what she is accused of.

They would only go ahead with a prosecution if they felt there was enough evidence to suggest culpability. Neither the lawyers at the FBI or the Juctice Department thought so.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending