The Student Room Group

Bipartite matching question

So an alternating path is one that includes an arc already in the graph, then one that is not but possible then repeats etc....
However can you start with one that's not possible then one that's already in it.
I hope you understand what i mean, when the textbook first explained it to me it sounded really wierd :P
Original post by Toasticide
So an alternating path is one that includes an arc already in the graph, then one that is not but possible then repeats etc....
However can you start with one that's not possible then one that's already in it.
I hope you understand what i mean, when the textbook first explained it to me it sounded really wierd :P

To clarify: An alternating path begins from the initial matching by selecting an unmatched node in one of the sets of the initial matching and connecting it to a node in the other set. Then it matches the node eit just unmatched and so on and so on.

When you say not possible. If a complete matching cannot be made. Alternating paths will just take you to the optimal matching (assuming you are wise with it!) and continued applications of the algorithm lead to repeats.

In terms of a complete matching not being possible then it is not possible to get a complete matching - such a silly statement by me!
Reply 2
Yeah i just realised i could've made the question much simpler by asking do you have to start with one already-in then one not-in or can you vice versa.
Thanks, i understand :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest