The Student Room Group

Here’s an app to find YOUR perfect housemates!!

I’m looking to develop an app so that those aged 18-30 looking to move in somewhere can search for tenants like themselves who fit their living style and personality, in comparison to finding a room and taking a gamble for who their roommates will be.
It would be a matchmaking style website/app to browse current tenants tailored to your preferences.
I’d like to ask a few questions:
- Is there any particular feature you’d love to use?
- If this is useful to you, what situation are you currently in and how would it solve the problem?
- Is there anything you’d change about the concept?
Thanks for taking your time to read this, and feedback is greatly appreciated.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
First, I think it is a good idea for people looking for fellow tenants to live with, but then one will still take a gamble for who the roommates will be as they will be strangers still. I suggest Having a feature of swiping left and right for who you like or not.
Reply 2
Original post by sammykerre
First, I think it is a good idea for people looking for fellow tenants to live with, but then one will still take a gamble for who the roommates will be as they will be strangers still. I suggest Having a feature of swiping left and right for who you like or not.

Thanks Sammy,
The original idea is exactly this - seekers can swipe left or right on groups of current tenants, and if the tenants would be comfortable with the seeker then each party gets to know each other by messaging. The tenants can then reveal the listing of their property so the seeker can move in!!
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 3
How would you vet the people signing up to the site?
Reply 4
Original post by Surnia
How would you vet the people signing up to the site?

If the user signing up is a tenant, they will be prompted to enter an existing house code associated with their property. Or, they can generate a new house code after providing proof of address (in forms of a statement letter etc) if their property doesn't have a code.

If they're a seeker, they will get matched with tenants but can't conversate until they're ID verified.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by azzot
If the user signing up is a tenant, they will be prompted to enter an existing house code associated with their property. Or, they can generate a new house code after providing proof of address (in forms of a statement letter etc) if their property doesn't have a code.

If they're a seeker, they will get matched with tenants but can't conversate until they're ID verified.

OK, so you're saying there's no guarantee you're not going to be rooming with a psycho...
Reply 6
Original post by Surnia
OK, so you're saying there's no guarantee you're not going to be rooming with a psycho...

Tenants that seekers find will tend to be in groups. I might be mistaken but isn't finding a group of psychos a bit rare?
Regardless, is that not a common risk anyway? Even if you were moving in with people you didn't know, any of them could be psycho.
Reply 7
Original post by Desperatetoleave
I would love an option to talk about hobbies, lifestyle etc so that I know I am moving with people I would get on well eg if the tenants love clubbing but I would rather stay home etc
This is such a great app idea and I can see you going far with it!

Thanks! That is also part of the plan - personality type, night hours, partying, smoking etc. Is there anything else you'd love to see in it? This feedback is wonderful, can't thank all of you enough :smile:
Reply 8
I personally would love an option for things like movies liked etc. for me I would want to live with roommates that we had something in common we could do together.

Ah so personality matching as well - good point. I had only considered living style matching.
Maybe everyone can enter a random fact about themselves! It would however narrow your pool down quite a lot having to match living style and personality, depending on how unique you are. So possibly it could match either one or the other.
Reply 9
Perhaps people could write a bio about themselves that isn’t part of the algorithm. The prospective tenant can then read the bio and decide if they do or don’t want to match.

Yeah I planned to implement that! So the profile of a seeker will consist of a bio, up to 2 or 3 photos (would do more but I want to take focus off of judging people by their looks over personality), living style and 2 random facts about them.
For a group of tenants, their profile will be a group bio, up to 2 or 3 group photos, overall living style and facts about them.
Reply 10
I don't see how it can replace a face to face conversation... I've been living with housemates for a long time, people come and go. We always try to find ones we have a good bond with, usually people who are already in our community. I'm actually the least active member there so people know other people better than they know me.
Personally, I would find it very difficult without personally meeting a person. Especially if it is a guy... We are currently 4 guys and 2 girls in our household and we have a spare room so if we were to find another housemate it would be a guy, and I as a girl would like to know the person and feel if I can trust him and feel free around him. I mean, I want to be sure I can walk around the house with minimal clothes and we both will feel alright with it, even if we feel attracted to each other. Ones we interview a guy that was too happy there are girls in the household, like he never seen a girl before.... for me it is creepy, even if he is a good guy.

I really hope your app will work, but I don't feel it is right for me. An app can't show vibes... it is even more important for me than having a non-smoker vegan housemate (most of the housemates are meat eaters and I'm fine with that) I can even accept a smoker, as long as he smokes outside, but not a creep.

BTW, I'm 33... always forget I'm over 30....
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 11
Original post by azzot
Tenants that seekers find will tend to be in groups. I might be mistaken but isn't finding a group of psychos a bit rare?
Regardless, is that not a common risk anyway? Even if you were moving in with people you didn't know, any of them could be psycho.

I don't mean literally psycho, would just anyone be able to sign up? What if you want one tenant, like you often see on here where someone is offering a room?
Reply 12
Original post by Surnia
I don't mean literally psycho, would just anyone be able to sign up? What if you want one tenant, like you often see on here where someone is offering a room?

Current ideas are that anyone can sign up and match but to be able to conversate they need to be ID checked. (Either this or check on sign up).

On the matchmaking page, you can filter your recommended tenants by group size along with many other factors like living style.
Reply 13
Original post by Kathy89
I don't see how it can replace a face to face conversation... I've been living with housemates for a long time, people come and go. We always try to find ones we have a good bond with, usually people who are already in our community. I'm actually the least active member there so people know other people better than they know me.
Personally, I would find it very difficult without personally meeting a person. Especially if it is a guy... We are currently 4 guys and 2 girls in our household and we have a spare room so if we were to find another housemate it would be a guy, and I as a girl would like to know the person and feel if I can trust him and feel free around him. I mean, I want to be sure I can walk around the house with minimal clothes and we both will feel alright with it, even if we feel attracted to each other. Ones we interview a guy that was too happy there are girls in the household, like he never seen a girl before.... for me it is creepy, even if he is a good guy.

I really hope your app will work, but I don't feel it is right for me. An app can't show vibes... it is even more important for me than having a non-smoker vegan housemate (most of the housemates are meat eaters and I'm fine with that) I can even accept a smoker, as long as he smokes outside, but not a creep.

BTW, I'm 33... always forget I'm over 30....

Hi Kathy!
Thanks a lot for sharing your situation! I appreciate and encourage everyone's critique. Even though you are over 30 I'm sure there are many within the age range in a similar position, so your point of view is very useful here.
I understand your safety concerns - the people you match with wouldn't usually move straight in after matching, without meeting. You could match with a prospective tenant from your community (assuming you all have a common trait) by browsing people with that trait and arranging to meet up with them and interview, gauging their vibes. Or take however long you want before proposing the idea of moving in - it's totally up to you to determine when you feel comfortable.
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest