The Student Room Group

A lot of questions about GEM

Is it possible to go to med school if I do
Well in my neuroscience degree? How well would i have to do? Is neuroscience a good degree to do before studying medicine? Does everyone doing GEM have to sit the gamsat? How difficult is it and how do you prepare for it? What other tests do you have to sit for GEM? Is GEM really as difficult as people say?
Original post by 1lastchance
Is it possible to go to med school if I do
Well in my neuroscience degree? How well would i have to do? Is neuroscience a good degree to do before studying medicine? Does everyone doing GEM have to sit the gamsat? How difficult is it and how do you prepare for it? What other tests do you have to sit for GEM? Is GEM really as difficult as people say?

Does neuroscience interest you and are you likely to do well in it? if so, it is a good degree for GEM.

No, only certain GEM courses require the GAMSAT. I haven't taken it myself, but I have heard it is not a fun test. Revision mainly involves doing practice questions and past papers. The majority of other GEM courses require the UKCAT.

GEM is just more pressured. Trying to learn a large volume of information in a shorter amount of time. But it isn't impossible.
Reply 2
Original post by ForestCat
Does neuroscience interest you and are you likely to do well in it? if so, it is a good degree for GEM.

No, only certain GEM courses require the GAMSAT. I haven't taken it myself, but I have heard it is not a fun test. Revision mainly involves doing practice questions and past papers. The majority of other GEM courses require the UKCAT.

GEM is just more pressured. Trying to learn a large volume of information in a shorter amount of time. But it isn't impossible.

Thank you,

2 more questions:

what is the average age of someone on the GEM course?
are there any universities which have a better reputation for GEM?
Thank you,

2 more questions:

what is the average age of someone on the GEM course?

It ranges. My course around half came pretty much straight from their first degree (plus the one year work experience that was compulsory at leicester). The other half were mostly mid to late twenties.
It ranges though. Other year groups have had students in their thirties/forties.

And no. GEM is pretty much the same as undergrad. Stick with the ones you're most likely to get in to.
Reply 4
Original post by ForestCat
It ranges. My course around half came pretty much straight from their first degree (plus the one year work experience that was compulsory at leicester). The other half were mostly mid to late twenties.
It ranges though. Other year groups have had students in their thirties/forties.

And no. GEM is pretty much the same as undergrad. Stick with the ones you're most likely to get in to.

I agree with ForestCat but will add that some graduate entry courses are very small and almost run as an afterthought to the "main event", i.e. the undergraduate course. I think Warwick is unique in being the only graduate-only medical school and so there is a large pool of people working through the same curriculum.

My cohort reflected ForestCat's experience - around half were straight out of a first degree and the other half had done other things beforehand. The oldest person in the year must have been in his late fifties.

Fortunately, Warwick also has far more graduate entry places than any other institution and so your chances of admission are probably best there as well.

DOI: Warwick graduate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending