The Student Room Group

SRA Suitability Test

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tblackwood
Hey, thanks for the reply. I'm not questioning your answer but can I ask how you know? Are things from secondary school level definitely required to be disclosed? It does make sense but it just isn't very clear.

Very little about the SRA makes sense... the question asks if you have ever been involved in cheating/unfair means or had an allegation of it so it doesn't seem to have a statute of limitations. The sad truth about the SRA is "if in doubt disclose" because you can never be sure they won't treat lack of disclosure as dishonesty if they find out. They're a law unto themselves
Original post by Ethereal
Very little about the SRA makes sense... the question asks if you have ever been involved in cheating/unfair means or had an allegation of it so it doesn't seem to have a statute of limitations. The sad truth about the SRA is "if in doubt disclose" because you can never be sure they won't treat lack of disclosure as dishonesty if they find out. They're a law unto themselves

Very true! And yeah, I suppose (unfortunately) you're right! I will await their response and then I may submit an early assessment just for peace of mind. In your opinion, do you think this would ever be an issue for me? I am not judging others and I appreciate that cheating is a serious offence (not that that was my intention) but if people who have warnings for drug possession etc are admitted do you think this would mean that that chances are likely I would be admitted?
Very true! And yeah, I suppose (unfortunately) you're right! I will await their response and then I may submit an early assessment just for peace of mind. In your opinion, do you think this would ever be an issue for me? I am not judging others and I appreciate that cheating is a serious offence (not that that was my intention) but if people who have warnings for drug possession etc are admitted do you think this would mean that that chances are likely I would be admitted?

They view dishonesty offences as more serious than other offences so long as the other offences don't disclose a threat to vulnerable people.

Hierarchy seems to go (and I'm guessing here as **** knows how the SRA really think):
- other offence, no threat to public
- dishonesty, no threat to public
- threat to public including some of the dishonesty offences.

I'd imagine you'd be fine as you can push hard on it not being dishonest really and that any dishonesty they might consider present is rehabilitated. But... I wouldn't stake my house on it because the SRA are ****
Original post by Ethereal
They view dishonesty offences as more serious than other offences so long as the other offences don't disclose a threat to vulnerable people.

Hierarchy seems to go (and I'm guessing here as **** knows how the SRA really think):
- other offence, no threat to public
- dishonesty, no threat to public
- threat to public including some of the dishonesty offences.

I'd imagine you'd be fine as you can push hard on it not being dishonest really and that any dishonesty they might consider present is rehabilitated. But... I wouldn't stake my house on it because the SRA are ****

Thank you for this. Well I am much more nervous than I was when I posted in here! haha. It is just so embarrassing that some stupid referencing mistake from when I was 16/17 could actually ruin my career and all the hard work I have put in. That's where logic begins to prevail and think it just couldn't, but as you say, they are pretty unpredictable. It's more annoying because it was that long that I barely even remember it myself, never mind others that I would require references from. It's just a black mark isn't that that I am going to have to deal with I suppose. Least I have been up front with the SRA and contacted them as soon as I read the suitability test. Hopefully that counts for something rather than just hiding it!
Hi,

Do you mind if I ask you some questions about this?

Original post by daniel-leons
Let me first say that I had a formal caution for possessing a small amount of a class A and was deemed suitable and have accepted a TC offer with a City firm. If in doubt, you should disclose it, but you can do an FOI request to the PNC to see if you actually have a caution or not. Secondly, how did you respond? I genuinely used it as an opportunity to reflect (it was the impetus behind me going to University), and I carried my experience with it forward and it made me more responsible as an individual. If they can see you have learned from the experience, they will find you suitable. Happy to answer any questions, as this made me worry incessantly for about 8 months.
Reply 25
Did you ever hear back on this?
Yeah, I hope so. Common sense says it would never be an issue but if they wanted to be funny about it, it technically does fit within the meaning of 4.1 of Assessment Offences. But as it was 2008 or whenever it was, trying to get written statements from people would be near enough impossible and asking for references now to demonstrate the alternative would just be embarrassing! Definitely something I should have checked before enrolling on a law degree!
Original post by LPCLondon
Thanks very much, I will PM you in a minute as some first hand experience may help ease my mind a little.

The man on the phone told me 'Half the test is knowing when to disclose something' which left me more confused than before if I'm honest.

I do have a TC so I will speak to my HR contact. I wish I'd considered this before really as having to pay back all my LPC fees and having no career would be more than a bit of a bummer. Thank you again for your advice :smile:

I have a similar thread https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7060256&p=95543407#post95543407 that I require some assistance please help if you could! Thanks in advance!

it concerns a community resolution order and FPN

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending