The Student Room Group

How to revise GCSE additional science

I'm not sure on how I should revise additional science. I'm on edexcel and struggle with science. I sat my core exam in May and got a C overall (nearly a B because I had a good controlled assessment at an A* grade)

I really want to get a B this time as I was really close last time (I think like 13 UMS away from a B?)
Reply 1
Original post by JackT2000
I'm not sure on how I should revise additional science. I'm on edexcel and struggle with science. I sat my core exam in May and got a C overall (nearly a B because I had a good controlled assessment at an A* grade)

I really want to get a B this time as I was really close last time (I think like 13 UMS away from a B?)

Use YouTube videos online and practice past papers all the time to familiarise yourself with the questions.
I did my core exam in science (OCR) last year and got A* in Chemistry and Biology and an A in Physics but an A in coursework so I got A overall. The best method I found that worked for me (might not work for everyone) was using past paper. I would do the past paper questions and mark it with the mark scheme. I would write down the six marks questions separately with the answer. You quickly notice that they often reuse the question but just word them differently.
Reply 3
Original post by BoringSpaceKid
I did my core exam in science (OCR) last year and got A* in Chemistry and Biology and an A in Physics but an A in coursework so I got A overall. The best method I found that worked for me (might not work for everyone) was using past paper. I would do the past paper questions and mark it with the mark scheme. I would write down the six marks questions separately with the answer. You quickly notice that they often reuse the question but just word them differently.

@S2M or @BoringSpaceKid If I attach my results from August will you be able to tell me if I was quite close to a B?

Btw please don't be shocked by the D's. I got 3 D's in chem, bio and physics. But with chem I was 1 mark away from a C and in physics I was 2 marks away from a C :frown:

I uploaded them here: http://prntscr.com/dniv0r (I have crossed off some info on there as I don't want people knowing my candidate no etc...)
Reply 4
@S2M or @BoringSpaceKid If I attach my results from August will you be able to tell me if I was quite close to a B?

Btw please don't be shocked by the D's. I got 3 D's in chem, bio and physics. But with chem I was 1 mark away from a C and in physics I was 2 marks away from a C :frown:

I uploaded them here: http://prntscr.com/dniv0r (I have crossed off some info on there as I don't want people knowing my candidate no etc...)

You got 213 marks and a B grade was 224 marks so you were 11 marks off a B.

I am not exactly sure how all this works so sorry I can't help with the grades. But calm down, D's and C's are not bad honestly. It's always difficult doing exams in year 10 plus sometimes other factors make you get lower - bad teacher, bad day. Don't stress I know this girl who got a F in Chemistry, Biology and Physics for core and got a B in additional. It's possible.
Reply 6
Original post by S2M
You got 213 marks and a B grade was 224 marks so you were 11 marks off a B.

Ok thank you, so would you say thats close to a B or am I wrong?
Reply 7
Ok thank you, so would you say thats close to a B or am I wrong?

Yeah you can say you were moderately close to a B.
Reply 8
Original post by S2M
Yeah you can say you were moderately close to a B.

All thanks to my controlled assessment I suppose??
Reply 9
All thanks to my controlled assessment I suppose??

Definitely yes. I think if your coursework was lower than an A*/A grade then you would have gotten a D or below.
I did my core science exams last year on OCR gateway, I got a grade A in both exams and coursework which added up to 337 UMS. I used a revision guide, past papers, and videos from this guy on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ2eovkGrGXwXQJMfHGGijg . I started revising for it 1 week prior to the exam, the past papers were the best source of revision. Good luck.
Reply 11
Original post by S2M
Definitely yes. I think if your coursework was lower than an A*/A grade then you would have gotten a D or below.

Yes most definitely I was surprised when I got my A* as my teacher said it was an A when she marked it. Coursework is my strong point because it's done over a long period of time and tend to do well in it. I can't deal with the pressure in exams

Merry Christmas!
Reply 12
Yes most definitely I was surprised when I got my A* as my teacher said it was an A when she marked it. Coursework is my strong point because it's done over a long period of time and tend to do well in it. I can't deal with the pressure in exams

Merry Christmas!

Oh I see.
Merry Christmas! :smile:
Reply 13
Use CGP guides, past papers from your exam board, and watch "Get To Know Science" on YouTube (he covers lots of additional science topics). Make sure you cover one or two topics per week, make notes to summarise, use YouTube and CGP to help understanding, use past papers to practise applying what you have learned.

Quick Reply

Latest