The Student Room Group

How do you revise for triple science to get all 9s

Hey I just started yr 10 can any of you guys give me revision strategies I wanna get 9s for all sciences

I've been making mind maps for biology
a mix of mind maps and notes for chemistry
and normal notes for physics

Is making notes a waste of time?
I just memorise them and make flashcards for important definitions and do a bunch of practice questions.
However, making notes is quite time consuming as I struggle to incorporate all the sources at once because to make my notes I use free science lessons ( for me I feel like he's quite vague when explaining topics and it isn't informative enough), the CGP revision guide and my textbook.

Any tips on how to make effective notes and which sources I should use for them? or should I try a new revision strategy all together

ty :smile:
Personally...I think making notes is a waste of time. You can find a lot of helpful GCSE resources from physics and maths tutor which have summary notes and flashcards made for you and its free- not just for sciences but for most subjects!
Take your time to understand every topic then do past papers, go over what you get wrong until you understand it. If you don't take the time to understand harder topics you'll regret it later!!
Good luck
Reply 2
Original post by justaperson12345
Personally...I think making notes is a waste of time. You can find a lot of helpful GCSE resources from physics and maths tutor which have summary notes and flashcards made for you and its free- not just for sciences but for most subjects!
Take your time to understand every topic then do past papers, go over what you get wrong until you understand it. If you don't take the time to understand harder topics you'll regret it later!!
Good luck

Tysm!
but do you think doing this is enough to get me a grade 9
I heard from my teacher that you need to make notes and I'm js confused whether I should make notes or not cuz I don't want it to be too late to realise if I should
has it worked out for others
I got all 9s in triple sciences and here are my top tips:
Notes are okay, they can help consolidate knowledge but the thing about sciences is that (for AQA at least) the mark scheme is very specific. If you're writing notes, take them straight out of the CGP guide so you're using the right wording. Your teacher probably tells you to write notes to help you in yr 11, but tbh this wasn't really helpful for me.

Definitely do as many practice questions as possible!! Instead of writing notes, I wrote out any questions I got wrong or ones that were common in past papers and also wrote down the answer on the markscheme. This helped me 'make notes' and practice at the same time, and I only noted what I genuinely didn't understand.

I use physics and Maths tutor and Study mind as they split them up into topics. If you find making notes time consuming, the mind maps and summaries on PMT are great to use.

Another amazing resource is the CGP revision cards. I only got them close to exams but they were a lifesaver. Everyone sells them on eBay so you should be able to get them at a good price.

Obviously whether this helps you depends on the sort of learner you are so do think about what suits you, your strengths, and weaknesses. Also, yr 10 is a good year to experiment. The best revision techniques are a mix of lots of different things.
Hope this was helpful!
Reply 4
Original post by studysturdy
Notes are okay, they can help consolidate knowledge but the thing about sciences is that (for AQA at least) the mark scheme is very specific. If you're writing notes, take them straight out of the CGP guide so you're using the right wording. Your teacher probably tells you to write notes to help you in yr 11, but tbh this wasn't really helpful for me.

Definitely do as many practice questions as possible!! Instead of writing notes, I wrote out any questions I got wrong or ones that were common in past papers and also wrote down the answer on the markscheme. This helped me 'make notes' and practice at the same time, and I only noted what I genuinely didn't understand.

I use physics and Maths tutor and Study mind as they split them up into topics. If you find making notes time consuming, the mind maps and summaries on PMT are great to use.

Another amazing resource is the CGP revision cards. I only got them close to exams but they were a lifesaver. Everyone sells them on eBay so you should be able to get them at a good price.

Obviously whether this helps you depends on the sort of learner you are so do think about what suits you, your strengths, and weaknesses. Also, yr 10 is a good year to experiment. The best revision techniques are a mix of lots of different things.
Hope this was helpful!

That's really helpful ty :smile:

When using the notes from Study mind or PMT, should I annotate it for any additional info/diagrams from the textbook or CGP book?

Also how would I understand the notes? Should I watch a video or read the CGP revision guide before going over the notes?
Reply 5

Hope this was helpful!

sorry last question

should I print out practice questions, review them and highlight the ones I got wrong and provide the answer with the marking scheme
or
do them online and write only about the ones I got wrong
Original post by M1.xo30
That's really helpful ty :smile:

When using the notes from Study mind or PMT, should I annotate it for any additional info/diagrams from the textbook or CGP book?

Also how would I understand the notes? Should I watch a video or read the CGP revision guide before going over the notes?

The notes on PMT should be very similar to the CGP book but yes, make sure to still use the CGP wording in your notes. You'll start to realise the CGP book is written like the markscheme so as you do practice questions you should start seeing similarities (especially for Chem and Bio)

In terms of understanding, do this any way you please. Sometimes writing the answer in the 'right way' makes it too complicated so its essential that the understanding comes first. If you struggle to understand something, the Cognito videos (and questions on the website) are incredibly helpful. For example, I used it to understand Organic Chemistry and then did practice questions. Free science lessons is great too. I also asked my teachers for help but I guess that depends on the quality of your teachers
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by M1.xo30
sorry last question

should I print out practice questions, review them and highlight the ones I got wrong and provide the answer with the marking scheme
or
do them online and write only about the ones I got wrong

Honestly that's up to you. I did all the questions online and wrote out the difficult ones purely to save paper. I do think it's better to do them online since it means you don't have a massive amount of unnecessary notes and it also means you can redo practice papers in the future.
Reply 8
The notes on PMT should be very similar to the CGP book but yes, make sure to still use the CGP wording in your notes. You'll start to realise the CGP book is written like the markscheme so as you do practice questions you should start seeing similarities (especially for Chem and Bio)

In terms of understanding, do this any way you please. Sometimes writing the answer in the 'right way' makes it too complicated so its essential that the understanding comes first. If you struggle to understand something, the Cognito videos (and questions on the website) are incredibly helpful. For example, I used it to understand Organic Chemistry and then did practice questions. Free science lessons is great too. I also asked my teachers for help but I guess that depends on the quality of your teachers

Do you mean annotating with any additional info from the CGP book to write on top of the PMT notes or

make short notes from the CGP book and PMT combined
Reply 9
oh ok tyy

Honestly that's up to you. I did all the questions online and wrote out the difficult ones purely to save paper. I do think it's better to do them online since it means you don't have a massive amount of unnecessary notes and it also means you can redo practice papers in the future.
Original post by M1.xo30
Do you mean annotating with any additional info from the CGP book to write on top of the PMT notes or

make short notes from the CGP book and PMT combined

Either is fine but I'd just annotate on top, it'll save you time
Reply 11
Either is fine but I'd just annotate on top, it'll save you time

ok tyy

Quick Reply

Latest