The Student Room Group

Jesus was a refugee and not white. Happy xmas

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tempest II
All I will say is Joseph must have been quite a gullible fellow...
I mean, who these days would believe it if their wife became pregnant with a baby that wasn't his & stay with them after she claimed it was God who did it?

...and then three rich dudes that he didn't know turned up with presents for the baby.
Original post by Trinculo
...and then three rich dudes that he didn't know turned up with presents for the baby.

Gotta admit, Mary got that sugar daddy game on point
We are celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ, one of the greatest swindlers, charlatans, liars and conmen in history, if not the greatest. A man who taught that poverty, meekness, pity and charity were superior to courage, self-respect and strength. He is responsible for one of the most dangerous world-views in history, that of unmitigated humanitarianism and the false doctrine of the equality of all men. Admittedly, he was also very cunning and clever, and a brilliant re-valuator of values.

I wish there was some Nietzschean alternative to Christmas. Not sure what it would be though.
Original post by cambio wechsel
He was certainly real. That he was the son of God as claimed is plainly open to dispute but no serious historian doubts the existence of Jesus qua travelling preacher/cult-leader/rabble rouser. You're talking about someone who lived hundreds of years after Plato.

There is no doubt that the early Christians believed in a Jesus but there is some doubt about the existence of Jesus. The oldest text to refer to Jesus was a historical account by Josephus, but the mention of Jesus was added much later to the text.
Jesus is our Lord and Saviour. I hope that all of you will come closer to him and receive his grace. God has a great plan for you. If you choose to let Christ into your life, he will guide you and you will always have someone who will listen to all your worries and your hopes.

I hope that through celebrating his birth today on Christmas Day that you will come closer to Him. Merry Christmas
Original post by Ladbants
Jesus is our Lord and Saviour. I hope that all of you will come closer to him and receive his grace. God has a great plan for you. If you choose to let Christ into your life, he will guide you and you will always have someone who will listen to all your worries and your hopes.

I hope that through celebrating his birth today on Christmas Day that you will come closer to Him. Merry Christmas

Amen. Let more and more people come closer to the Lord and find salvation through faith in Him. I hope you and your family have a merry Christmas.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Jesus also probably wasn't born on the 25th December.

He also spread a dangerous ideology that was partially responsible for the fall of Rome, the Dark Ages, and massive sectarian violence in Europe.

Merry Christmas.

Why are middle eastern religions so trash?

merry yule everyone i guess :lol:
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
You've made my day already. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Merry Christmas! :tree:

Original post by Inexorably
Jesus as Christians interpret him, was not real.

I literally could not have made my point any clearer.

Original post by xbiostudentx
You didn't say anything about how Christians interpret him, so it was not clear at all. From your post it sounds like the person didn't exist at all.

+1 bio. No one denies he was real, seriously. He was a human being. The Crucifixion actually happened. Jews, Muslims, Hindus kill each other and Christians everyday and even they do not deny Jesus the human being existed.

Whether he was Lord in the flesh is a different but irrelevant story to whether he existed or not. Being an Atheist saying offensive things about religions is as bad as a religious non-Muslim being an Islamaphobe. It's really unnecessary, particularly on a day of worship. Seriously watch yourself, Inexorably.
Original post by Zargabaath

>4 billion people follow ME religions
>trash
Original post by Ladbants

Original post by Trapz99
Amen. Let more and more people come closer to the Lord and find salvation through faith in Him. I hope you and your family have a merry Christmas.

Bless. Love you bois. Hope everyone has a better Christmas than I do :biggrin:
Original post by xbiostudentx
>4 billion people follow ME religions
>trash

Are you honestly trying to imply that popularity equates to merit?

Spoiler

kden

Tbf, its not just the Middle East. The Americas had some pretty **** religions... human sacrifice and all.

Merry Christmas.

At least people don't follow those tho

Ikr :smile:

Norse/Anglo-Saxon and Greek mythology is awesome. Where the **** did it all go wrong?
Original post by 0to100
Bless. Love you bois. Hope everyone has a better Christmas than I do :biggrin:

Thanks I hope you have a great Christmas as well
Original post by Trapz99
Thanks I hope you have a great Christmas as well

:holly: let's ignore the hatred surrounding us
Original post by nutz99
Explain how he could be a refugee as he was born and lived in the province of Judea, and where do you get the idea that he was not white. The likelihood is that he was olive skinned which is technically still white.

He and his parents were forced to flee to Egypt early on in his life to avoid being murdered by Herod. This is literally all in the Bible. Also, I don't know what 'race' first century Palestinian Jews would be as 'whiteness' is a relatively young social construct that is given to change depending on the politics of the time. Nevertheless, I doubt he'd fit into our ideas of whiteness particularly well: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35120965

EDIT: Oh, and merry christmas!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JamesN88
Ikr :smile:

Norse/Anglo-Saxon and Greek mythology is awesome. Where the **** did it all go wrong?

*le tips mjölnir*
Are you honestly trying to imply that popularity equates to merit?

Spoiler

kden

At least people don't follow those tho
ME ones are the worst because of the way they urge their followers to spread the disease to others

people who follow ME religions have contributed the most to the world. prove me wrong.

ME ones are the worst because of the way they urge their followers to spread the disease to others

i suppose it's better than worshipping cows and elephants made from stone. no offence fam
Reply 37
Jesus pbuh was not born on this day anyway. Some Christians I know don't even celebrate Christmas.
I was going to make the popularity doesn't imply merit argument, but you do have a subtle point; Semitic religions have spread far and wide, because their believers were better than others at conquering and converting others. Then, their believers also became very technologically advanced, and colonised the New World, and Africa; again, a good sign for the religions.

I'm no historian however, but wasn't a lot of their success due to geographical location (near Greece), inheriting the Eastern Roman Empire's lands?

You are correct. Being Near Turkey had a lot to do with it :wink:
I was going to make the popularity doesn't imply merit argument, but you do have a subtle point; Semitic religions have spread far and wide, because their believers were better than others at conquering and converting others. Then, their believers also became very technologically advanced, and colonised the New World, and Africa; again, a good sign for the religions.

I'm no historian however, but wasn't a lot of their success due to geographical location (near Greece), inheriting the Eastern Roman Empire's lands?

I watch an interesting documentary discussing the spread of Christianity in the Roman Empire. It explained that the relationship between the Romans and their pagan gods was a much looser affair compared to Christianity which is attached to every facet of a person's life, so the old beliefs couldn't compete in the long run due to the determination of Christians to convert new followers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending