The Student Room Group

who is in the wrong in this situation? be very honest

i am in a trio of friends. the other two, (friend A & friend B) are closer with each other. i haven’t spoken to either all break because a few things have been bothering me.

- A went on a date and invited B but not me, didn’t tell me how it went

- they always stay over at each other’s places without me, B has been texting A all break

- i invited them to a xmas fair during term time and heard nothing from them so we never went

- i couldn’t make our first house viewing. they went together anyway and sent pics. i said i wanted us to go together. they told me to book a viewing the next day. i arrived & texted them to see if they were coming. they were both active but left me on delivered. i waited there about 30 minutes & got frustrated because they were both online but not responding. they both came up with excuses last minute so i went on my own

friend A confrontationally texted me asking why i have been ignoring the gc. it had been inactive all break and the all that was said was happy xmas. she was frustrated and didn’t know what she had done wrong. i explained what was bothering me. she was surprised.

she claimed that she did invite me to the date. she mentioned it briefly the week before. but she told B first and said i’m ‘welcome to join.’ no text on the day, no text asking if i was coming. i had no idea when it was happening.

she said that she did want to go to the xmas fair and was discussing buying the tickets with B (why not put this on the group chat?!) but then said she almost broke her back this break so hasn’t been able to walk. i had no idea any of this happened.

she told me to stop being ‘pathetic’ and ‘immature,’ to stop texting her if i have nothing ‘positive to say’ & that there was no reason to fall out over this. she said if it wasnt ‘appropriate’ to ignore the gc and i should have brought it up any problems i had. she has blocked me on every platform, unadded me and left the gc. i was 100% calm the whole convo but after the insults i directly told her not to talk to me that way and reminded her that she started the conflict.

i think friend A is naturally quite aggressive. one time, a friend of hers was she was intimidated by her and A was very angry and wanted to confront her about this & i could not understand why she reacted to that with anger

i am now looking to drop out of housing but feel like maybe i am at fault because she seemed surprised. i don’t know if i am being toxic & jealous and housing is on the line so please be very honest.
Original post by Anonymous #1
i am in a trio of friends. the other two, (friend A & friend B) are closer with each other. i haven’t spoken to either all break because a few things have been bothering me.

- A went on a date and invited B but not me, didn’t tell me how it went

- they always stay over at each other’s places without me, B has been texting A all break

- i invited them to a xmas fair during term time and heard nothing from them so we never went

- i couldn’t make our first house viewing. they went together anyway and sent pics. i said i wanted us to go together. they told me to book a viewing the next day. i arrived & texted them to see if they were coming. they were both active but left me on delivered. i waited there about 30 minutes & got frustrated because they were both online but not responding. they both came up with excuses last minute so i went on my own

friend A confrontationally texted me asking why i have been ignoring the gc. it had been inactive all break and the all that was said was happy xmas. she was frustrated and didn’t know what she had done wrong. i explained what was bothering me. she was surprised.

she claimed that she did invite me to the date. she mentioned it briefly the week before. but she told B first and said i’m ‘welcome to join.’ no text on the day, no text asking if i was coming. i had no idea when it was happening.

she said that she did want to go to the xmas fair and was discussing buying the tickets with B (why not put this on the group chat?!) but then said she almost broke her back this break so hasn’t been able to walk. i had no idea any of this happened.

she told me to stop being ‘pathetic’ and ‘immature,’ to stop texting her if i have nothing ‘positive to say’ & that there was no reason to fall out over this. she said if it wasnt ‘appropriate’ to ignore the gc and i should have brought it up any problems i had. she has blocked me on every platform, unadded me and left the gc. i was 100% calm the whole convo but after the insults i directly told her not to talk to me that way and reminded her that she started the conflict.

i think friend A is naturally quite aggressive. one time, a friend of hers was she was intimidated by her and A was very angry and wanted to confront her about this & i could not understand why she reacted to that with anger

i am now looking to drop out of housing but feel like maybe i am at fault because she seemed surprised. i don’t know if i am being toxic & jealous and housing is on the line so please be very honest.

I'm sorry to hear about this, friend A sounds absolutely atrocious and friend B isn't nice either because she didn't even try to get you involved in anything and blanked you. Communication takes both sides, you had tried to message them directly but you were ignored first and they didn't try to contact you on any occasion and then expect you to be a mind reader and use a group chat to which nobody is responding anyway?? Her logic is non-existent and she's getting mad at you for petty irrelevant things to cover her own back so she doesn't look bad - they're both in the wrong for ignoring you, leaving you out and then all this confrontational mess. If the group chat was so important why didn't either of them message in there??

Honestly, they don't deserve to be your friends, it's better to cut them off they're toxic and they're gaslighting you.
Reply 2
any more ops?
Reply 3
they sound like horrible friends, especially A. If she couldn't go to the fair why could she not text you saying why she couldn't come? Then to say you shouldn't ignore the gc , that is very hypocritical. I wouldn't stay in housing with these people personally, I think you should just move on from the friendship.
Original post by Anonymous
any more ops?

Friends are friends, not besotted lovers who live in each other's pockets every second of the day. There are faults on both sides. Never assume - check. If something is important to you, use those words - this is important to me, out loud, to friends. Then if they prioritise something else, you know where you stand. Otherwise, all of us a have to go through life ranking the priorities we know about in the best way we can.
Reply 5
Original post by threeportdrift

Friends are friends, not besotted lovers who live in each other's pockets every second of the day. There are faults on both sides. Never assume - check. If something is important to you, use those words - this is important to me, out loud, to friends. Then if they prioritise something else, you know where you stand. Otherwise, all of us a have to go through life ranking the priorities we know about in the best way we can.

i did tell friend A that she shouldn’t expect me to prioritise her messages when she didn’t invite me to her date, she has ignored my messages several times in the past whilst replying to friend B, and she always texts B about matters that involve all three of us and should really be put on the group chat, especially about tickets for an xmas fair that was my idea.

she said this was a pathetic & immature issue, she didn’t have the time or energy to discuss it and blocked me. yet it was her who started the conversation asking what was wrong. am i wrong for not putting up with being spoken to in such a condescending way?
Reply 6
any more thoughts would be appreciated

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending